Group: Health & Fitness over 40

Created: 2011/12/31, Members: 206, Messages: 2480

Group dedicated to men and women over the age of 40 that care about their health and want to take the fitness and nutrition down the right path.

Join group

muscle groups, twice weekly?

blondie123
blondie123
United States
2005/05/30, 07:40 PM
I have been told by the trainers at my gym that in order to see effective results with weight training, that I should hit each muscle group at least twice a week. I'm confused since the fitness plan that was personalized for me at this site gave me a seven day split routine that only included hitting each muscle group once a week. I especially want to trim out my thighs and this suggests only hitting them once...any info regarding this to straighten out my boggled brain would be great!
2005/05/31, 07:01 AM
it depends on your level of fitness, age, goals, etc...

Hitting each bodypart once a week is an effective intermediate/advanced training program...for beginners to lifting a fullbody workout done 2-3 days a week might be as or even more effective.....generally you'd be using heavier weights and lower reps with once a week muscle workouts
blondie123
blondie123
United States
2005/05/31, 01:34 PM
I had hired a trainer a couple of years ago and he put me on a two day split twice a week...meaning chest,back, bi's on day 1, legs shoulders tri's abs on day two, day three rest, day four, repeat day 1, day 5 repeat day two etc,.. with no more than 3 days of cardio since my body fat was already 17%. I liked the outcome because I looked lean and cut. How will lifting each muscle group ony once per week affect my outcome. He also said not to wait more than 72 hours before hitting those muscles again or else it would be like starting all over. I don't want to look "jacked", just defined and lean. Right now I am 121lbs and about 18%bf at 42 years of age. I'd like to bring my weight down to about 115lbs and 15% bf without looking jacked, as I have a tendency to look very pumped if I lift heavy and the body weight doesn't go down,( I know, watch the diet)! so what's your opinion on reps and sets to achieve this? ...Anyone?
2005/05/31, 07:27 PM
You must realize that most muscles work together...so that even though you're not directly working a certain muscle, it is still being worked as a secondary muscle in many other exercises(you work triceps for example in chest and shoulder exercises as well)....also when you train each bodypart once a week you're able to devote more time to it, by doing more sets/exercises for it....your muscles will also be more fatigued because of this and take longer to recover...

you can do 3-4 days a week fullbody split ....using compound/multijoint exercises....

Mon: Chest
Tue: Back/abs
Wed: rest
Thu: Legs/Shoulders
Fri: rest
Sat: Biceps/Triceps
Sun: rest

focus on key exercises for each body part like

deadlifts for back
squats for legs
incline bench press for chest
military press for shoulders
close grip flat bench for triceps
ez bar curls for biceps

You can try different rep ranges which are comfortable for you...whether it's 10-12 reps per set....or something lower....5-8 reps....I would suggest the higher reps at first...then once you get comfortable to lift a bit heavier....

I am assuming you're female? so that you can't become veyr muscular anyways since you lack testosterone in high enough quantities needed for that...
blondie123
blondie123
United States
2005/06/01, 12:56 PM
:)Okay, thanks, I getcha...but what about legs? Should I weight train them more than once, or is the cycling 30 miles one day and HIIT twice a week enough? And as for sets... would you recommend 3 or 4, with moderate weight and 10- 12 reps? Thanks!

(And yes, I am female).
2005/06/01, 09:17 PM
do 3 sets of 10-12 reps

cardio is fine and dandy...but u still need to do weight training for your legs
bigandrew
bigandrew
United States
2005/06/02, 05:41 PM
btw most "trainers" aren't personal trainers.....

--------------
" The only true eye, is your minds eye"- plato
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2005/06/04, 03:29 PM
If you are going to do muscle groups twice per week, opt for push/pull type of workouts. This will leave you not too exhausted with a second pushing exercise for instance and take away from your training. Current research backs up more muscle gain from twice per week. I am doing that now myself, recovery is much better...traded volume for frequency. CNS is not utilized and exhausted, which many folks take for a "good" workout. Thus recovery is enhanced.

--------------
If you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything....

bb1fit@freetrainers.com
bigandrew
bigandrew
United States
2005/06/06, 08:44 PM
2 times a week better bb1?

--------------
gravity is not a law, only a obstacle
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2005/06/07, 09:07 AM
Recent research is bearing this out. Consider this study...

Effects of Sequential Bouts of Resistance Exercise on Androgen Receptor Expression.
Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise. 36(9):1499-1506, September 2004.
WILLOUGHBY, DARRYN S.; TAYLOR, LEMUEL

Abstract:
WILLOUGHBY, D. S., and L. TAYLOR. Effects of Sequential Bouts of Resistance Exercise on Androgen Receptor Expression. Med. Sci. Sports Exerc., Vol. 36, No. 9, pp. 1499-1506, 2004.

Purpose: Increased serum testosterone (TST) occurs in response to resistance exercise and is associated with increased muscle mass. However, the effects of elevated TST and sequential resistance exercise bouts on androgen receptor (AR) expression in humans are not well known. This study examined three sequential bouts of heavy-resistance exercise on serum total TST, sex hormone-binding globulin (SHBG) and free androgen index (FAI), skeletal muscle AR mRNA and protein expression, and myofibrillar protein content.

Methods: Eighteen untrained males were randomly assigned to either a resistance-training or control group . RST performed three lower-body resistance exercise bouts, each separated by 48 h. At each exercise bout, RST performed three sets of 8-10 repetitions at 75-80% one-repetition maximum using the squat, leg press, and leg extension exercises, respectively, whereas CON performed no resistance exercise. Muscle biopsies were obtained immediately before the first exercise bout and 48 h after each of the three bouts, whereas blood samples were obtained immediately before, immediately after, and 30 min after each bout. Data were analyzed with two-way ANOVA and bivariate correlations.

Results: Serum TST and FAI were significantly increased after each exercise bout (P < 0.05); however, there were no significant changes for SHBG. AR mRNA and protein were significantly increased (P < 0.05) after the second and third exercise bouts, respectively, and were significantly correlated to TST and FAI (P < 0.05). Myofibrillar protein increased after the third bout (P < 0.05).

Conclusions: Three sequential bouts of heavy resistance exercise increases serum TST and are effective at up-regulating AR mRNA and protein expression that appears to correspond to subsequent increases in myofibrillar protein.

--------------

bb1fit@freetrainers.com
blondie123
blondie123
United States
2005/06/07, 05:37 PM
Okay, so, in laymens terms, you are saying that more frequently is better? Menace mentioned that age, gender and experience are factors. Is this true? What would your professional recommendation be for a female of 42, lifting for three years and wants to lean out. As mentioned I am currently 122lbs. striving for 115lbs. I am currently about 20% bf and shooting for 15% and I love cardio about 4-6 days per week.:(...running 3-5 miles, biking about 30 once a week, rollerblading, and doing the eliptical....I have been doing the twice a week splits and they have treated me well thus far, and just wondering if I should change it up since it has been a few years. I always do different exercises every work out to target the muscle differently. Like I might bench one chest day and do dec pec on another, and I usually do 4 sets of moderate weight for 8-10 reps. Any advice?
2005/06/09, 12:50 AM
but the key in that study is that it was performed on 'untrained' people.....also it focused only on the male gender....so the effects in women are unclear....

blondie just try to experiment...see what works best for YOU....whether it's doing a bodypart split of 3-4 and doing each once a week....or doing half and half bodysplit twice a week....or perhaps something totally different from either of these....
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2005/06/09, 11:29 AM
Yes, it is hard to find studies of any kind using "well trained" folks, but just as all studies show that a minumum of 3 times per week is needed for adaptations in the body for endurance trainees to take place, so I think we will find the same type thing holds true for muscle.

Again, I would ask, why would the body expend the need to for the expense to build muscle if it is not needed? Muscle is a burden on the body, and actually quite unatural for it to do. If you do not force it to adapt, why should it? Elevated protein synthesis has been shown over and over again to be 24-36 hrs. max. After that, all baseline values return.

--------------

bb1fit@freetrainers.com
bigandrew
bigandrew
United States
2005/06/21, 10:46 PM
isn't endurance and muscle kinda different?

one would be a higher vo2 max? for beter uptake of oxygen by muscles........the other would be max muscle force........produced one time or whatever.....?

And I thought muscle was only a burden if it wasn't under usage......?

I mean would body type not be taken into acount?

An ecto would have more endurance than a ecto......most of the time......however the ecto would have more muscle mass just to carry the extra weight.......

I mean I was naturally strong.......even when I didn't workout...must of not been that much a burden?

--------------
gravity is not a law, only a obstacle
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2005/06/22, 12:15 PM
Andrew...you are rambling...what is your point???

--------------

bb1fit@freetrainers.com
rpacheco
rpacheco
United States
2005/06/30, 05:19 PM

============
Quoting from bb1fit:

Andrew...you are rambling...what is your point???

=============

LOL! It was hard for me to follow what he was asking as well. I have also been working certain muscle groups 2x per week since I plan on being a lot more competitive in tennis this year. So far, I feel pretty good...

--------------
**_Robert_**
Pain is temporary; glory is forever!

E-mail: rpacheco@freetrainers.com