Group: Injuries & Rehabilitation

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 54, Messages: 4465

Dealing with injuries and learning how to avoid them is extremely important!

Join group

Multiple knee surgery's on both knee's

RACKETBALL
RACKETBALL
United States
2002/06/27, 06:50 PM
I have had seven knee surgery's to date and am looking for a different form of cardio exercise other than running that will still give the same gain as running. I am somewhat limited on time, I was running around 6-12 miles at a time two to three times a week. Any idea's?
Lumina20
Lumina20
United States
2002/06/27, 07:00 PM
Does your gym have one of those Precor cross-trainer machines? That most closely reminded me of running but without the knee jarring.
mikencharleston
mikencharleston
United States
2002/06/27, 08:07 PM
I've had a knee replacement about 10 yrs ago so I can relate. One thing that works for me is working out on a 2 on 1 off 2 on 2 off split. I do a normal heavy workout on the first day and follow up with a really intense lighter weight but full body circuit the next day with no breaks. It's not a bad substiture for some cardio affect. The biggest drawback is you have to take (at least in my case) a week off every 4 or 5 weeks or you get into a serious over training mode.
roni0906
roni0906
United States
2002/06/27, 09:14 PM
Well, a great cardio you could do is swim and it is summer time. It won't put any stress on your knees and it works all your muscles.

--------------
Lisa
Philia2
Philia2
France
2002/06/28, 01:47 AM
You can use all cardio machine without impacts (and where your knees stay in their natual movement)
Such as elliptical trainers, bikes, rowing machines, stair masters etc.

Just avoid all kind of jumping or any other violant movements and you'll be fine.

Also to strengthen your knees, I'll advice you to avoid doing leg extensions to start with but work with the press machine. No wrapping around your knees, but not heavy, one leg only and lots of repetitions.
Good luck.

--------------
- Nina :o) La vie est toujours aussi belle.....
ischjli
ischjli
United States
2002/06/28, 10:14 AM
Ouch! Ever try cycling? I love to bike. I haven't done it much lately as I have been trying to gain weight, but it is wonderful. I had knee reconstruction, from a wrestling accident in HS, and the biking causes me no pain.
dsarco
dsarco
United States
2002/07/09, 08:11 PM
Running on a trend mill or any hard surface is the worst type of cardio you can do if you have bad knees. They are terribly hard on you knees and hips. If your going to run, run on a true track and field track (they are cushioned). Like they said above, ellipticals, bikes, and stairmasters are your best bet if you want to train in a gym.

--------------
"Step over to the Abdominator and I will shout slogan's at you"..McBain
RACKETBALL
RACKETBALL
United States
2002/08/21, 05:14 PM

============
Quoting from lumina20:

Does your gym have one of those Precor cross-trainer machines? That most closely reminded me of running but without the knee jarring.

=============First of all I wanted to say sorry for taking so long to reply, I was out of town for a month and a half with out access to this site. I do not believe my gym has that type of machine, I have never heard of it. But thank you anyway.
RACKETBALL
RACKETBALL
United States
2002/08/21, 05:19 PM

============
Quoting from Philia2:

You can use all cardio machine without impacts (and where your knees stay in their natual movement)
Such as elliptical trainers, bikes, rowing machines, stair masters etc.

Just avoid all kind of jumping or any other violant movements and you'll be fine.

Also to strengthen your knees, I'll advice you to avoid doing leg extensions to start with but work with the press machine. No wrapping around your knees, but not heavy, one leg only and lots of repetitions.
Good luck.

First of all I wanted to say sorry for taking so long to reply, I was out of town for a month and a half with out access to this site. Thanks for the advice though, I have actually been using the eliptical trainers quite a bit, and have just recently started to work the legs again with the weights. And since I am bothering you, do you have suggestions on speed and agility training. I am getting ready to go to the U.S. Open Racquetball tournament in November. I have noticed though my lateral movements have dropped way off, I may just be favoring the knee? But if you have any ideas of training to gain strenght and confidence in the knee again, I am all ears. (By the way you look really great, how have you done in your competitions?) Thank you again.

=============
Philia2
Philia2
France
2002/08/22, 02:42 AM
Thanks Racket, nice words of yours! (and I won the comp!! ;o)

Anyway, be careful with explosive exercises. That's what you need to build up strength but since you have had some accidents well... then be careful!

Maybe you could start a little jumping, but then I'll advice you to put on straps around your knees.

Not long ago we had a nice post in here about vertical jumping, do a search!

--------------
- Nina :o) Les Victoires éternelles sont celles du coeur.