Group: General Fitness & Exercise

Created: 2011/12/31, Members: 379, Messages: 54577

Various general exercise related discussions. Find out what it takes to reach your fitness goals through daily effective exercise. With so many options we try to find out what works best.

Join group

Motivating hubby

fmcclain
fmcclain
United States
2009/05/04, 07:16 AM
I just recently started exercising and trying to eat right. I also have a fitness buddy..my sis-in-law. The question is how do I get hubby involved. He was a heavy drinker in the air force about 14 years ago and started the beer belly..since then it has grown. He looks like he is about 10 months pregnant. He says he cn't exercis untill he gets rid of his belly so what can I suggest to him? His job is sitting on his but driving all over gods creation except when he gets out occasionally to fix a traffic light. Please help, I want him to be healthy.
returnofplex
returnofplex
United States
2009/05/04, 11:00 AM
He can't get rid of his belly till he exercises. Sounds like he's making an excuse to me. Spouses are kinda tricky. The best thing I've found is to be a role model. When your husband sees your success maybe it'll make him want to get some of his own.
2009/05/04, 03:02 PM
Don't nag, that just makes it worse and there will be no result and the excuses will continue. Try some sneakiness, suggest going to the park on a nice weekend, take along a frisbee or football, baseball gloves. If you go for walks in the day, ask if he wants to join you. If he has friends that participate in recreational leagues maybe see if he would be interested in joining. All of these include exercise that he may not see as exercise.

I do my workouts, he won't join, but we walk 2 or 3 evenings a week and if the weather is not co operating we purchased a wii with the sports package and you can't do that without movement.

Just some ideas.

good luck
howlandplace
howlandplace
United States
2009/05/04, 03:49 PM
Hmm. Well, if you're losing weight, I'm sure you're looking better than ever to your husband, so to motivate him, why not give him "extracirricular" (sp?) motivations, if you know what I mean? ;)
Carivan
Carivan
Canada
2009/05/04, 09:28 PM
Leave some good reading on a coffee table. Let him read up on his own. He has to want to change his life style himself. Pick up a "mens Health magazine, even read it yourself, and he most likely read it. It could start out that way. It's called nagging when someone is not ready and you don't want that. Bring in healthier foods to cook for the whole family.

--------------
Patience, persistence and perspiration make an unbeatable combination for success.

Ivan (GO HABS GO!)

Montreal Canada (City of Festivals)
fmcclain
fmcclain
United States
2009/05/05, 07:03 AM
I don't nag..at least I try not to. I asked him t start going on walks with me, he said as long as he had time. It only takes about 30 min for one walk around the block so I might win that battle. I have been buying fruit and veggies and salad for me to eat, and occasionally I'll catch him sneaking a bite. I think all of you are right in that when he sees my success he will want to start..I hope.:)