Group: Beginners to Exercise

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 969, Messages: 18927

Share and offer advice to beginners to the fitness world!

Join group

more questions

hangclaw
hangclaw
United States
2002/12/03, 12:34 AM
I completed my first workout, well, almost anyway. I don't yet own a chin-up bar, so is there an exersize I can substitute until I get one? Also I was unable to give my best to the standing lateral raises due to a little tendonitis in the elbow. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Hangclaw
7707mutt
7707mutt
United States
2002/12/03, 10:57 AM
BENTROWS ARE GOOD FOR BACK STRENGTH AND DEVELOPMENT AS IS DEADLIFTS FOR LOWER BACK. AS FOR THE ELBOW WATCH IT CAREFULLY AND REST IT....

--------------
IF THE SWEAT AIN'T IN YOUR EYES, AND IT AIN'T STINGING, THEN YOU AIN'T LIFTIN!
mikencharleston
mikencharleston
United States
2002/12/03, 12:58 PM
hangclaw - I literally shattered an elbow when I was younger but have compensated somewhat for that by building the delts through burnout sets using lighter weights. Occasionally, I'll wrap it to add some extra support but avoid using weights that I can't control using delts only. You can still build some awesome delts, just takes a little different approach. If your side delts need work- one of the best things I've found is a total side lateral. Start with a regular side lateral and at what would normally be the top of the move, rotate your hands so the palms are facing up and continue with an overhead lateral. Reverse the process on the way down - slow and under control. You'll be surprised how little weight it takes to get a burn and you leave the elbow out of the move. Because of the elbow, I tend to work shoulders and traps on a day by themselves and this seems to relieve some of the stress from the other upper body workouts.
hangclaw
hangclaw
United States
2002/12/04, 07:02 AM
Thanks, guys. That sounds like good advice. The tendonitis is sort of an ongoing thing, and I have to work around it in my martial arts training. Discontinuing my training is NOT an option. I can be very self disciplined, so the alternative exercises are greatly appreciated. Could you just be a little more descriptive w/ the Bentrows? I really am new to this!

Hangclaw
7707mutt
7707mutt
United States
2002/12/04, 10:42 AM
It is called bent over rows done witha barbell. just click on the exercise tab and look for back exercise they have pics and descriptions as well.

--------------
IF THE SWEAT AIN'T IN YOUR EYES, AND IT AIN'T STINGING, THEN YOU AIN'T LIFTIN!