Group: Experienced Exercise

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 50, Messages: 19484

For intermediate and advanced individuals. Share and learn how to take your fitness to the next level!

Join group

More on milk post workout

bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2007/05/11, 10:45 PM
As many of you probably know, I have posted lately quite a few posts as to the usefulness of milk post workout. Here is more to back this up, new study...

Shirreffs SM et al. Milk as an effective post-exercise rehydration drink. Br J Nutr (2007): Pg 1-8

The effectiveness of low-fat milk, alone and with an additional 20 mmol/l NaCl, at restoring fluid balance after exercise-induced hypohydration was compared to a sports drink and water. After losing 1·8 (SD 0·1) % of their body mass during intermittent exercise in a warm environment, eleven subjects consumed a drink volume equivalent to 150 % of their sweat loss. Urine samples were collected before and for 5 h after exercise to assess fluid balance. Urine excretion over the recovery period did not change during the milk trials whereas there was a marked increase in output between 1 and 2 h after drinking water and the sports drink. Cumulative urine output was less after the milk drinks were consumed (611 (SD 207) and 550 (SD 141) ml for milk and milk with added sodium, respectively, compared to 1184 (SD 321) and 1205 (SD 142) ml for the water and sports drink; P,0·001). Subjects remained in net positive fluid balance or euhydrated throughout the recovery period after drinking the milk drinks but returned to net negative fluid balance 1 h after drinking the other drinks. The results of the present study suggest that milk can be an effective post-exercise rehydration drink and can be considered for use after exercise by everyone except those individuals who have lactose intolerance.

--------------
"If it ain't broke, you aren't trying."

georgiagirl
georgiagirl
United States
2007/05/14, 09:30 AM
bb1.. thank you. I am a BIG milk fan, but thought I would never drink 2% milk. I have finally found one I like (Coburg milk) and have been really happy to read your various posts on milk. My PWO shake with 2% fits perfectly into my diet. I GREATLY appreciate you sharing this information, and your other knowledge, with all of us.

--------------
My Catahoula did it.

I saw a book titled "Sex for Dummies" and wondered why
anyone would teach dumb people how to reproduce?