Group: Strength & Powerlifting

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 39, Messages: 16459

Discuss the topic of Power lifting, Strength training and Strong Man training!

Join group

Missed you guys! And squats.

Ogun
Ogun
United States
2004/04/18, 01:43 PM
Hey all and long time no see and all such small talk,

I have managed to avoid squats for my first two years of a serious workout regimen--and then I came around. Reality told me that it had to happen.

Well, I can only do about 200lbs comfortably, deep, for about three sets of 6-8. It's surprising, because I had the leg machines maxed out at 359lbs (for thigh) and I thought my legs, all be they skinny, were pretty strong.

What, then, makes the squat so much more difficult? And effective? Is it that there are combinations of muscle groups involved, lacking isolation? And for a guy that's 6'5, 200, what would be considered an admirable weight to be squatting for 3 sets or so?

Thanks, and hope to be back on soon :D

--------------
--There are no versions of the truth.--
Jeff Goldblum, Jurassic Park II
7707mutt
7707mutt
United States
2004/04/18, 03:38 PM
With machines there is so help from the pulley system used to lift the weight stack. With a free weight squat ther is nothing to help but your body....that is why they are so effective they use almost every muscle in your body to get eh weight up. As for a good weight....I think that is something you need to choose.:big_smile:

--------------
LIFT HEAVY! BECOME STRONG, LIKE BULL!

7707mutt@freetrainers.com
bigandrew
bigandrew
United States
2004/04/18, 05:34 PM
Squats require everything in your body at one time or another for the lift.......this is why the squat produces the most testesteron peak than most others. for instance.........
* traps contract to keep the weight off your spin.
*chest offers secondary support to the lats and shoulders, keeping them in place.
* every muscle in the leg is used for the lift
* abbs stablize the torso
* obliques stablize side to side motion
* back erectors stablize lower back
**triceps& biceps** I use these too for holding the bar down and up....that is I push up with the triceps( to keep off my back) as well as I squeeze the biceps to keep it done and from not moving
this is why its called the king of excercises.

machines take away form all this stablization, and core strength.............make sure yoru going parallel though at least that low, no sissy or half squats.

--------------
.......adversity causes some to break, but others to break records!
......minds are not vessles to be filled, but fires to be enlightened
......Confucious once said ,DO NOT play leap frog with a unicorn

Ogun
Ogun
United States
2004/04/19, 03:03 AM
Thanks guys; dang Andrew you busted me...I'll have to go lower.
bigandrew
bigandrew
United States
2004/04/19, 03:39 PM
get a bench or somthing, and put under you and let your butt touch it then come up. After a while you'll get muscle memory and automatically go parellal. Or you can tie a bell on your waist thats long enough to wher eyou go parallel it touches the floor and dings lol..... we did that in high school.

--------------
.......adversity causes some to break, but others to break records!
......minds are not vessles to be filled, but fires to be enlightened
......Confucious once said ,DO NOT play leap frog with a unicorn