Group: General Fitness & Exercise

Created: 2011/12/31, Members: 379, Messages: 54577

Various general exercise related discussions. Find out what it takes to reach your fitness goals through daily effective exercise. With so many options we try to find out what works best.

Join group

Men in weights area of gym :(

RICH_TOFFEE_BAR
RICH_TOFFEE_BAR
United Kingdom
2010/02/09, 03:54 AM
Hi all, loving this website!

I began my weight (fat) loss and tone programme yesterday and have been reading the threads on this site, taking special note of the resistance training taking prominence over the cradio and I am trying to implement that (I have never lifted weights before, being one of the misinformed women thinking that I will 'bulk' up like Hulk).

I plodded to the weights section and couldn't breathe for the HUGE men that seemed to have infested the whole block (especially the benches that I need to do most the chest exercises). I feel that they're glaring at me and to be honest, it's really intimidating SO...

Would it be ok to do my 25 mins of cardio (suggested by my programme) first, and then do the weights when that area isn't flooded with testosterone any more?

Hope this makes sense

yadmit
yadmit
Canada
2010/02/09, 11:39 AM
In the grand scheme of things, it doesn't matter... however, you may find you can't lift as heavy if you do the cardio first.

Don't worry about the dudes in the gym.. ignore them (it can be hard) and just do your thing...

t

--------------
I see the words you are typing, but all I read is *click*click*click*

Fat loss isn?t under the control of the magic fat loss fairies. - Alwyn Cosgrove
Carivan
Carivan
Canada
2010/02/09, 01:21 PM
Yes, Tim is right. but over all you will obtain results. When I train I do my cardio first as I don't stretch to warm up and continue to do the weight session after. Foregt about the guys looking at you, on the other hand, you may want to take it as a compliment! :big_smile:

--------------
Patience, persistence and perspiration make an unbeatable combination for success.

Ivan (GO HABS GO!)

Montreal Canada (City of Festivals)
mccanntm
mccanntm
United States
2010/02/09, 01:45 PM
What you are experiencing is "newbie intimidation." The answer is - Don't be intimidated. Everyone of them were newbies at one point. They have all been there. I have yet to meet anyone who was born with a bodybuilder's body.

You might even ask one of them about your form or how to use any type of equipment. I know I never would think of dis-ing someone who was just starting out. In fact, if I see them a few weeks later I will compliment them on their progress.

I do cardio last but if you search this site you will find this topic has been talked to death and there are opinions on sides.
hbomb0105
hbomb0105
United States
2010/02/11, 11:19 AM
in the research I have readed. You should do 30-45min. of cardio after heavy lifting. This is do to the stress/harding of the hart caused by heavy lifting which is conter balanced by the cardio after the lifting.