Group: Beginners to Exercise

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 969, Messages: 18927

Share and offer advice to beginners to the fitness world!

Join group

Lying Side Leg Raises

jamesz
jamesz
United States
2002/04/19, 10:22 AM
Background on question: I work at a hospital, and workout in our Physical Therapy center, which doubles as our Wellness Center. It is actually quite a nice gym, machines, free weights, bikes, treadmills, and some other equipment that looks pretty weird (no idea what some of it is used for.) The best part is the cost, $5 per month (employee rate.) I also have access to registered and licensed physical/occupational therapists.

Question: I mentioned to a PT that my hip pops twice when doing this exercise. Once on the way up, and again on the way down. It doesn't hurt, but isn't really comfortable either. Her answer was this: 1) Change position of bottom leg to a bend at the knee of 90 deg. 2) Rotate hips in to about 75 deg, so my hips are not perpendicular to the table that I do this exercise on. 3) Do not raise my leg as high. Only to about a 30 degree angle (I was going as high as I could get it as demonstrated in the picture for this exercise.) I noticed my hip still popped, even in this adjusted position. But, in defense of the PT, it only popped when I wasn't paying attention to all three techniques. I also noticed an immediate change in the location of the "burn." It went from none, to all up and down along the inside of my leg, and a slight one in the upper part of my hip.

I am basically wanting to share this information to others, and possibly submit it for review. These instructions may very well be the intent of the instructions posted on FT for this exercise, but I liked the way she explained it to me better.

Then again, I may be totally wrong with this too, and will gladly accept this site's constructive criticism. You people are so smart with these types of things. It makes me proud to be a member of this wonderful organization.
rpacheco
rpacheco
United States
2002/04/19, 10:35 AM
James, lying side leg raises are supposed to affect the oblique ab muscles. If you feel "the burn" on a different part of your body (hip flexors, legs, etc.), then you are doing the exercise incorrectly.

The secret to doing these is to contract the oblique ab muscles! Breathe out as you raise your leg and you don't have to raise them as far up as possible. And, do not swing your leg up!

Since you have access to that wonderful gym, you can simulate the same exercise (and stimulate the same muscle group) on a dip bar.

Hope this helps...

--------------
**_Robert_**
jamesz
jamesz
United States
2002/04/19, 10:49 AM
Doing it wrong... hmmm... I wish I could have you watch me do this exercise. I mean it really looks so simple. That I can't imagine what I could be doing wrong. I try hard to follow the instructions, lift, contract, breathe out, lower, breathe in, repeat. I've never had an injury to my hips. But that popping during the rep, has got my attention. I want to make sure I'm doing this correctly. I guess that is the perfectionsist in me coming out. Technique is stressed so much on ab workouts, that I pay extra attention to it. I strive for the most out of each rep, especially since the reps are seemingly so few.

Which brings up another point. I've read on these boards that some people think that the ab routine is too easy. IMHO, these people are missing out on the technique or already have well developed abs. Because, I struggle with it every week. On Fridays, I just get to where I can almost comfortably finish the final set, and come Monday there is another one to do. To me the ab program is GENIOUS!! The way it's put together is a motivator in itself. For me, it's not, "Ugh! Another set. I'll never get this." It's "MAN! Another set. I've got to get this done."

--------------
MOVE! I'm working here!
rpacheco
rpacheco
United States
2002/04/19, 10:55 AM
Well, we all have our level of fitness when we first start out. I found the 12-week ab program (in the beginning) to be a little easy, too...so I increased the reps. to 25-35, instead of the recommended 15-20. Your goal is to fatigue the muscles (same concept as the other muscle groups).

Continue to be a perfectionist! Form is more important than anything else! What determines good form is the correct muscles being fatigued.

--------------
**_Robert_**
vinni
vinni
United States
2002/04/19, 12:46 PM
that sounds good robert

--------------
Vinni =POWERED BY IRON=
Boddhisattvha
Boddhisattvha
United States
2002/04/23, 01:47 PM
On week 7 of the ab program. Not too easy at all. I haven't finished all the reps in three days.

--------------
And my soul must be iron, because my fear is naked. I'm naked and fearless.
rpacheco
rpacheco
United States
2002/04/23, 01:51 PM
Cain, continue to hit 'em hard! The goal is to fatigue them just like you would when you weight train! This makes all the difference in the world...

--------------
**_Robert_**
Boddhisattvha
Boddhisattvha
United States
2002/04/24, 02:35 PM
Will do Robert, the program just got really intense so I am adapting.

--------------
And my soul must be iron, because my fear is naked. I'm naked and fearless.