Group: Men's Club

Created: 2011/12/31, Members: 252, Messages: 6838

A place for men to gather and share experiences, advice and information amongst themselves.

Join group

Low Testosterone........

jbennett
jbennett
United States
2006/08/15, 02:18 PM
I posted this in the "Over 40" forum, but I thought some of you guys that didn't visit that part of this website might find this interesting. I'll appologize to the moderators ahead of time for double posting, but I feel this is something that could be important to many of our male FreeTrainers members.

I found this article this morning:

http://www.livescience.com/humanbiology/060814_testosterone_death.html

Low testosterone has worse effects than originally thought. It's an article worth reading.

--------------
--JBennett
"I've up-ed my intensity.... now up yours!"
"Pain is only weakness leaving the body."
"Never think of how weak you are; think of how strong you're going to be."
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2006/08/15, 03:40 PM
I predicted years ago and it looks to be coming true that TRT will be a huge moneymaker very soon. I would be willing to bet that 50% of all males at some point will be on TRT. The problem is finding someone who is actually on top of the game, not just following suit and trying to make some money. You are after all messing with hormonal balance, and if not done correctly, can actually cause a host of problems.

--------------
Maximus from Gladiator....Strength and Honor!
jbennett
jbennett
United States
2006/08/15, 03:49 PM

============
Quoting from bb1fit:

....if not done correctly, can actually cause a host of problems.
=============

That's why a doctor should be involved in making these decisions.

--------------
--JBennett
"I've up-ed my intensity.... now up yours!"
"Pain is only weakness leaving the body."
"Never think of how weak you are; think of how strong you're going to be."
sstump1
sstump1
United States
2006/08/16, 03:01 PM
I've actually been meaning to get mine checked (on BB1's advise about 6 months ago) as I've found it very difficult to put on any muscle mass at all and every time I up my diet I almost immediately get an expanding spare tire.

I have however noticed that since I quit smoking I've put on about 10 lbs. More in muscle then in fat...and they say cigarettes decrease your test levels. So that might have helped...still plan to get tested though...just haven't been to the Dr since early in the year.
sstump1
sstump1
United States
2006/09/07, 09:40 AM
Just an FYI...I contacted my Dr a few days after this last post of mine and stressed my concerns that everytime I up my diet to try to put on muscle I instantly put it on around my waist. So the Dr sent me for blood tests...a few days later he told me that everythings normal...in some areas even exceptional compared to blood work from years ago...and that as I get older muscle is harder to gain. So basically my Dr told me I'm getting old...yea I needed to hear that. My wife laughed at me.

But otherwise my Testosterone level was 422...between 250-800 is normalish.
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2006/09/09, 11:52 AM
Glad to hear things are good for you stump....but, unfortunately, as the post states, this is something that most all men at some point in their lives will be undertaking. Same as women go through menopause, men go through andropause. It is much more subtle, thus the 'back burner' as compared to womens onset. Men typically lose 1% or more test per year after peaking, so it is slow gradual thing. Healthy living and exercise will help, but hormones do shift with age regardless. Some men it happens to earlier in life, others later, but it does happen. :)

--------------
Maximus from Gladiator....Strength and Honor!
sstump1
sstump1
United States
2006/09/11, 11:08 AM
Yea I knew that...was just hoping it hadn't caught up with me yet. Since I spent most of my 20s about 30 lbs overweight I'm still better off now then I was then. Seeing as how out of shape I was 3 years ago had I had my test levels checked then, I suspect it would have been lower then it is now.