Group: Beginners to Exercise

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 969, Messages: 18927

Share and offer advice to beginners to the fitness world!

Join group

keep up the cardio

krystal
krystal
United States
2001/07/16, 08:55 AM
I have heard many people say to cut the cardio if you are trying to build muscle...so is that true for me as well if I am trying to loose lots of fat but want to gain muscle too. Also, I have had two children and have not been able to get rid of the fat around the stomach area(it is horrible). Does anyone have any ideas that could help me? I am really heavy so doing crunches tends to hurt my lower back. If i am doing crunches how many days a week should you do them, is it like weight training where you must let the muscle rest? The advice is greatly appreciated.Thanks!!
jbennett
jbennett
United States
2001/07/16, 03:23 PM
Yesterday I posted a message in the "Hardcore" forum about running sprints for cardio. You may want to try that if you feel you're up to it. With your situation, I would try to do cardio 3-4 days a week to burn some of the excess fat off. That would be my number one priority if I were in your shoes; you can always gain muscle after you lose the fat. If you don't have a problem with high blood pressure, you may want to take a good thermogenic supplement (Xenadrine is excellent) to help you metabolize your existing fat. Be sure to drink a ton of water; your body cannot hydrolize fat without it. Diet is also VERY important. Keep your protien intake up, moderate your carbs, and try cutting the "bad" fats (not all fats!!) from your diet as much as possible.
As for the crunches, don't do them everyday. 3 days a week should be sufficient. Yes, your abs need rest just like every other muscle group. Remember: crunches will tighten and firm the muscle under the fat, but it will not burn fat only around your midsection. There is no such thing as spot reduction.
jbennett
jbennett
United States
2001/07/16, 03:50 PM
Forgot to mention one other thing.....
Avoid sodium! That will cause extracellular water retension and it makes people appear fat, whether they are or not. My wife lost weight before our wedding by simply not using salt and avoiding high-sodium foods. If you're a salt-a-holic, use light salt in moderation. Potassium is used instead of sodium.

Hope the info helps!
erin4ever1990
erin4ever1990
United States
2001/07/17, 12:50 PM
Correct me if I am wrong jb, but I was told once that if your diet was high in sodium them you should take in potassium to counterattack the sodium???
jbennett
jbennett
United States
2001/07/17, 01:05 PM
That is true to an extent, Erin, but avoiding excessive amounts of sodium is a healthier alternative.
krystal
krystal
United States
2001/07/18, 11:05 AM
I have one major question!!! I keep hearing to cut back on the carbs and eat more protein....what scares me is that my nutritionist has me doing just the opposite. She has me on 8 servings of carbs a day and only 2 meats which is our major source of protein? What should I do??
erin4ever1990
erin4ever1990
United States
2001/07/18, 02:57 PM
To me, I think a well balanced meal is most important. If it is weight loss, then I personally would up the protein. There are so many factors that come into play...your goal, present condition, age, energy level, etc...