Group: Daily Challenges & Check-in's - Stay on Track

Created: 2012/01/24, Members: 320, Messages: 464

A great way to keep on track and get support from others to help reach your goals. A great group to help you stay committed! Choose a DISCUSSION TOPIC and share your day with the rest of us in .. stay on track!

Join group

JUNK CHECK-IN: Did you avoid junk food today?

george
george
Canada
2012/01/26, 06:49 PM (Edited: george - 2012/01/27, 03:27 PM)
DEAR GROUP MEMBER, GET INVOLVED BY ANSWERING THE TOPIC QUESTION / CHALLENGE AS OFTEN AS POSSIBLE.. BE SPECIFIC ABOUT TODAY - STAY ON TRACK & INSPIRE OTHERS!

Instructions: Try to be specific about the topic in regards to TODAY, this is a daily (or as often as possible) check-in

This is your daily challenge to keep junk food, fast food, etc off the menu for the day! One day at a time is what it takes to get started and even though we all slip here and there it's best to get back on track and stick with it. Be honest, post the truth and let others help motivate you to get back on track or use your dedication to help inspire others to do the same.
2012/01/26, 09:51 PM (Edited: @ft@d_124774 - 2012/01/27, 12:21 AM)
I eat very clean every meal except one per week. We eat lean meat, organic home grown veggies, seafood, and one cheat meal a week which is usually pizza.

Since you asked for total honesty, I don't drink, smoke, drive fast cars very often, do drugs or almost anything that's unhealthy. I lift , walk and swim long distance, canoe and I say my prayers. But  there isn't much left when your pushing 60. Sex 5 or 6 times a week is nice but  god help me, I must confess something.

Father confessor George, big daddy of Freetrainers, I eat 16 ginger snaps each day before I walk. It's 400 calories. I gotta die of something.
george
george
Canada
2012/01/27, 12:15 AM
Wow.. sounds like a great weekly diet Charlie! One cheat meal a week is the right example.. need to endulge here and there to keep things sane. You're on the right track, but you already knew that!

Besides.. doesn't pizza have all the main food groups??? :)
2012/01/27, 12:25 AM
Actually, the US government is kind of brilliant. Because of the tomato content, pizza has been officially declared a vegetable.
Marcus72047
Marcus72047
United States
2012/01/27, 03:00 PM
Wow and i always thought pizza was bad because of all the cheese. I have given up soda unless im at a party or if its a special occasion. I do eat out atleast once or twice a month. I do sometimes sneak a cookie or some sort of snack when im hungry. Haven't gotten caught by the wife yet but she does have suspicions. Im trying to stop that but other than that i haven't eaten candy or drank soda. Also i do not drink or smoke.
george
george
Canada
2012/01/27, 03:20 PM (Edited: george - 2012/01/27, 03:20 PM)
Marcus72047
Wow and i always thought pizza was bad because of all the cheese. I have given up soda unless im at a party or if its a special occasion. I do eat out atleast once or twice a month. I do sometimes sneak a cookie or some sort of snack when im hungry. Haven't gotten caught by the wife yet but she does have suspicions. Im trying to stop that but other than that i haven't eaten candy or drank soda. Also i do not drink or smoke.

---

Marcus.. I was kidding about the PIZZA! :) You seem to be on the right track.

How was today specifically?
hevinsake
hevinsake
United States
2012/02/14, 11:23 PM (Edited: hevinsake - 2012/02/14, 11:27 PM)
---Ahh, I found my page, junk food junkie page as well as confessions - (grin). I had chocolate caramel turtle cake for breakfast, and chocolate eclairs for a late evening snack, I confess.  I had a balanced dinner though which is something I'm getting better at doing.

I've always been sort of a binge eater and not good at balancing meals. Pastries are my weakness.  I totally stopped smoking 2 weeks ago and the urge for pastries is stronger than ever.  Okay, so now that I've found this page I need to use it to get  myself on track and "just say no" to those smiley cup cakes.
2012/02/14, 11:56 PM (Edited: @ft@d_124774 - 2012/02/15, 12:00 AM)
hevinsake, eat anything you want to for a while. Smoking cessation is hard. You can be more active and burn off the calories now that your breathing is improving. Get through a few months and gradually change your diet. Congratulations on your accomplishment. Another thing that may help is to graze. Eat 5 or six small meals that are healthy will curb some of the cravings for the sweet stuff.
hevinsake
hevinsake
United States
2012/02/15, 09:02 AM
CharlieMV,

Thanks very much for this info and your support.  It's been difficult to stop smoking, I'm currently using Chantix and that's difficult too as it has  wierd side effects, one being that I barley sleep and  then don't feel as if I've slept.  I know there's an end in sight with life time benefits attached so I'll stick wiith it to remain a non - smoker.

I already breather easier and am intent on getting my workout regiment in order.  My plans are to hit the gym every other day with my regiment and that helps with the will power to not smoke as well. I will definitely do as you suggest and eat a series of healthy small meals.  I've never had weight issues and am not prone to easy weight gain but hope that doesn't change now  ;)

I had my cherrios with bannanas this a.m. so I'm a step ahead of yesterday's breakfast of chocolate turtle cake.  Acutually had my breakfast and fruit at once so I've knocked out two goals today already! 

Thanks again for your time and advice, I appreciate it!  Have a happy day!
2012/02/15, 11:59 AM
Chantix definitely produced weird dreams. I did it 6 years ago and it worked and has stuck. You can actually learn to control the dreams and make them fun. I either had dreams from the bizzaro world or erotic dreams which I really liked.  They were never scary. Stick to it until you are convinced you're passed the cravings. For me it was when the cravings lasted less than a minute. Congrats on the food choices. Hang in there and keep checking in. We can give you a pat on the head or a swift kick whenever you need it.
hevinsake
hevinsake
United States
2012/02/15, 05:16 PM (Edited: hevinsake - 2012/02/15, 05:24 PM)
I'll be happy when the cravings are less than 1 minute. I'd say I'm in about a 5 -10 min. range.  I have lots of bizarre dreams that are border as night mares and are scary.  How did you master the art of controlling them? I'm at a loss at how that works.

It's nice to chat with someone else who's 'been there - done that" and is knowledgeable about the process and what it takes to move through it.

I'll hang in there,  continue to check in, and let you know if and when I need a 'swift kick'  (smiling) - 

Thanks a lot!!
2012/02/15, 08:09 PM
I honestly don't know if I can explain it. But I'm not kidding. I think I started catching on to the fact that I was in a dream when something was happening that seemed absolutely normal but wasn't. I might have been at my home, in a totally familiar place but upon waking realized I'd never lived there. I never experienced pain in the dreams. I dreamed about things that happened 35 years ago. I remember the closest one to a nightmare was that at 52 I had reinlisted in the navy. I couldn't figure out how I was getting through boot camp at my age and I really just wanted to be back home with my wife.

That one was frequent. I finally realized while I was in twilight sleep , that place right before slipping off or waking up., that I was dreaming so I went on shore leave. I met really hot girls, drank and partied. I mentioned these things are strange. I'm 32 years very happily married, always faithful, crazy about my wife and I haven't had a drink in 35 years. But there I was partying and chasing skirts. Remember I said you'll never feel pain? That's true. I also never felt drunk and if a female I met wanted to get frisky, we never consumated the deal. I always had to wake up to pee.

Try to pay close attention in the twilight of awakening and to remember the dream. That was another odd thing about Chantix dreams. I could generally remember them when I' never remembered before. My wife remembered hers too but could never take control. I could swim underwater for huge distances. I could soar. I particularly enjoyed jumping backwards off of a tall cliff because I could fly and never hit the ground. Then suddenly I was drinking beer in the Pizza Hut 35 years ago with my cousin listening to Brandy and Layla .

I was kind of sad when the dreams dried up although I still remember about 4 a year when I wake up. Pay attention though. No matter how scarey, you will never feel pain. It's weird. Hope you can figure it out because it was a fascinating experience.
crushedgoddess
crushedgoddess
United States
2012/02/18, 07:17 AM
Have a question for the group. How do you avoid junk food and sugary sodas when having to take long road trips? Every weekend I am on the road for a minimum of 6 hours to transport kids for custodial visitations. These journeys are a weak point for me when it comes to grabbing something quick and easy to handle while driving. What do you do?
2012/02/18, 10:57 AM
This is probably blasphamous here but I drink diet Canada Dry when I'm not drinking tea or water. I radically altered my lifestyle over the last ten years but I did make some of the changes gradually. It's easy to set yourself up to fail if you try too much too fast and I know of nobody who doesn't stray occasionally.

Instead of looking at it as completely cutting something like sweets. which is my weakness, I have tried to replace and reduce. Ten years ago I would have thought nothing of eating a whole bag of Oreos during a rainy weekend. A long series of changes and experiments have led me to ginger snaps. Cookie-wise they are kind of low calorie but still not if you eat the whole bag. We have a few cheat meals a week and the rest of the time the meals are clean for the most part.

It would take forever to describe the entire evolution to the process we went through with our eating habits. But here is a short description of where we went.  Most breakfasts are protein and carb based. I eat a sandwich with either peanut butter or egg salad or meat and  scrambled egg. I hit the treadmill for 700 calories and then eat some cottage cheese maybe with a small of pecans or walnuts. My wife likes fruit in hers. We work the garden or whatever the hell it is that retired people manage to have to do and afterwards eat a snack of fruit and rolled up cold cuts and cheese. The trick here is to eat rabit food like carrots, celery, bell peppers and the like before you start on the meat and cheese.

I'm rambling I know but this really is a process. Our evening meals tend to be bigger but evening is when I usually find time to lift. After all the work and exercise is done, that's when I want sweets the worst. I still eat them but the real trick for me is to kill the craving with a healthier snack or meal first. I wait an hour after dinner and lift, usually heavy for a geezer. Then I eat more of my cottage cheese concoction and chase it with a few cookies after the edge has been knocked off by dinner and a healthy protein snack.

My way isn't best for you. We're organic gardeners and have a steady never ending supply of fresh frozen vegetables and we eat a lot of them. The point to this screed is that you have to work out your own details. That means doing your homework as far as how to eat properly and then tailoring a lifestyle change you can live with. If you hate what you do and what you eat, you just wont stick to it. For me, my compromises work. I have retained pretty good muscle definition, my abs mostly show and I'm reasonably strong for my age.

But here is what matters. I can do what I want to do. My cholesterol is 140. My blood pressure is 118/65, my resting heart rate is 54. The absolute most important thing and this is a biggie is that I feel good and I can do what I want to do.

Chart a course you can steer. Take it easy on yourself and decide that it's okay if the first course isn't the best one and that it's okay to change courses as your circumstances change. You may not know what's best all the time but you certainly know what's better. Just keep pointing at better for yourself.
george
george
Canada
2012/02/19, 06:41 AM
Good post Charlie - always with the sound and reasonable advice. In the end it's always about moderation and what fits for each of us.

Had some banana bread yesterday.. not really a cheat but the butter in it might have been :) YUM
crushedgoddess
crushedgoddess
United States
2012/02/20, 07:39 PM
I don't know if birthday cake is considered junk food, but we celebrated my oldest son's birthday and I did partake in the festivities.
2012/02/20, 08:10 PM
Junk food with a capitol junk but necessary on birthdays. It is my wife's birthday. I had cake too.
george
george
Canada
2012/02/23, 11:04 AM
Ok had a DQ Blizzard yesterday.. soooooooooooooooooooooooooooo good! :)
2012/02/23, 11:13 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZLiVeRJTtqo
CRNP
CRNP
United States
2012/02/23, 11:14 AM
@ crushedgoddess- I travel a lot as well and what works for me is packing food, a lot of it.  I take a small cooler and fill it with healthy snacks and a meal (high in protien).  The key is to pack a lot, so you have choices.  Sure you might not eat everything you pack but having choices will decrease the likelihood of getting junk.  Pack food/snacks for the kids too.  Mom's driving, mom doesnt have to stop and get junk for the little ones...they will get used to the bring along food after a trip or two.  Besides, with the price of gas now, it will save you some cash rather than eating out :-) 

No junk food for me so far today, which is good, because for me- the earlier in the day I eat junk, the harder it is for me to avoid it for the rest of the day!
2012/02/23, 12:35 PM
We've done it for so long that I don't even think about it. Good post CRNP. We travel as much as we're home and an ice chest full of food is vital. I think we do it as much to save money as to eat healthy. We grow most of our own food and eating out isn't the treat it used to be. I guess the lifestyle change for us would be to go back to fast or easy food.  We are able to eat "picked that day" fresh from our garden about 5 months a year and fresh frozen the other 7 months. Nothing compares.
NicoleCelina
NicoleCelina
Canada
2012/02/23, 01:57 PM
No junk food yet today...Gave up chips for Lent, so that's 40 days in which to get out of that nasty habit.

If I complete my workout today, I may allow myself one piece of chocolate, since I'm really craving it.
CRNP
CRNP
United States
2012/02/23, 10:14 PM
@Nicole.  Recent research has shown that a serving of high cacao chocolate can actually be beneficial to your health.  It is antioxidant rich and mimmicks a serotonin/dopamine response in the brain.  I am a confessed chocoholic.  I buy 100% cacao and use it shaved in my cottage cheese and fruit or add it to homemade smoothies or numerous other snacks.  I has no sugar, is high in protien and fiber.  But it is high calorie & high fat (not cholesterol raising kind) so small amounts- and as strong as it is, a little goes a long way!  It helps me get a craving fix.  If I want a piece of chocolate just to eat I buy 86% or 90%, not as heathy as the 100% (manufactured with milk  and added sugar) but not as bitter either.  I started with the 56% and worked my way up, Its kinda like going from whole milk to skim, once you get there the whole milk tastes like table cream!  I did this with peanut butter also.  Once I switched to natural (ingredients:just peanuts) the other stuff (Jiff/peter pan etc.) just tastes like the inside of a reeces cup, too sweet for a sandwich!
2012/02/27, 09:07 AM
so far, I avoided Kolaches and some apple turnovers.
CRNP
CRNP
United States
2012/02/27, 09:21 PM
I admit I did not. Carb heavy day topped with dark chocolate covered almonds (too too many) and a cereal bar. Lost the battle against the hormones!
macrma
macrma
Canada
2012/02/28, 01:18 PM
My boyfriend and I made a new "I need a sugar fix snack last night" that is a lot less indulgent than it sounds and.......it's fricking awesome!!!!! I had bought a bag of kiwis on sale at the supermarket and had no clue how to use them all up. This is what we came up with.

Peel the kiwis (leave them whole)
Stick a popsicle stick in the bottom
Put them on a baking tray lined with wax paper in the freezer overnight
Melt some dark chocolate (I used 86%) and a pinch of salt
Dip the frozen kiwis in the melted chocolate
Freeze again

I felt like I was eating something over the top when really they're full of fibre, a serving of fruit, and ok.......chocolate. Still better than ice-cream, cake, or store-bought popsicles.

Just thought I would share.
NicoleCelina
NicoleCelina
Canada
2012/02/28, 01:45 PM (Edited: NicoleCelina - 2012/02/28, 01:48 PM)
@Nicole.  Recent research has shown that a serving of high cacao chocolate can actually be beneficial to your health.  It is antioxidant rich and mimmicks a serotonin/dopamine response in the brain.  I am a confessed chocoholic.  I buy 100% cacao and use it shaved in my cottage cheese and fruit or add it to homemade smoothies or numerous other snacks.  I has no sugar, is high in protien and fiber.  But it is high calorie & high fat (not cholesterol raising kind) so small amounts- and as strong as it is, a little goes a long way!  It helps me get a craving fix.  If I want a piece of chocolate just to eat I buy 86% or 90%, not as heathy as the 100% (manufactured with milk  and added sugar) but not as bitter either.  I started with the 56% and worked my way up, Its kinda like going from whole milk to skim, once you get there the whole milk tastes like table cream! 

Thanks, CNRP! I will look for some when I go shopping tonight. I usually stick to dark chocolate and just one little square per day, but this sounds even better.

I was doing great today, until I got derailed by the free peanut butter cookies. I only had one, but the worst part is I don't even really like peanut butter cookies! So WHY did I eat it?? Hopefully tomorrow goes better...
CRNP
CRNP
United States
2012/03/12, 08:29 PM
Vanilla ice cream and a warm chocolate chip cookie.  And typing it, makes me wish I had more.
dixiefire
dixiefire
United States
2012/05/03, 12:48 PM
wow nope done had a oatmeal cream pie and a slice of pizza
Jacquefit
Jacquefit
United States
2012/08/06, 05:10 PM
i think i have a problem.. No matter what I do, i can't stop thinking about food. I'm thin because I work out so much.  It's just the guilt i feel and the constant battle to keep my mind off food. It's exhausting :( I used to be so good about it, but now i feel as though i can't fight my cravings.
friette
friette
United States
2013/12/15, 09:40 AM
Absolutely