Group: Strength & Powerlifting

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 38, Messages: 16459

Discuss the topic of Power lifting, Strength training and Strong Man training!

Join group

Jacksonville O-Lifting

retrofish
retrofish
United States
2008/03/20, 07:34 PM
This is kind of a long shot since I don't know how many people actually read this board, but does anyone know a good place in or near Jacksonville Florida to learn olympic lifts?
jbennett
jbennett
United States
2008/03/20, 08:55 PM
There's got to be a hardcore gym there somewhere. I'm in Lakeland (a bit south of you)... I'll ask around and see if anyone here knows of a gym up there. If you go to a place that looks like a day spa (like most corporate gyms nowadays) they have probably never heard of Olympic lifting; if they have it's probably banned from the gym. Find a good old school gym. Look in the phone book and start driving by to check 'em out.

--------------
--JBennett
"I've up-ed my intensity.... now up yours!"
"Pain is only weakness leaving the body."
"Never think of how weak you are; think of how strong you're going to be."
arondaballer
arondaballer
United States
2008/03/21, 03:10 AM
How far is Jacksonville from Gainesville? Matt DeLancey (Gatormade) is there. If not there, he might be able to tell you a place.

--------------
I firmly believe that any man's finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is the moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle-victorious.
--Vince Lombardi
"Decide what you want, decide what you are willing to exchange for it. Establish your priorities and go to work." H. L. Hunt

georgiagirl
georgiagirl
United States
2008/03/21, 08:53 AM
Yes... call the ADC at (904)502-2196. I dated a guy that lifted there. They can lead you in the right direction!

--------------
Life is either a daring adventure or nothing. Security does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than exposure.---Helen Keller
anatomist1
anatomist1
United States
2008/03/23, 02:37 AM
I used to live in Jax. I learned how to O-lift there... sort of. I went to Atlanta and sought out the high school coach who teaches the USA Weightlifting coaching courses. That didn't quite do it, so I attended one of the courses. I did it in Colorado Springs at the Olympic center, just for fun, but you can do one in Atlanta. Just look up "Coaching Courses" on this page:

http://www.msbn.tv/usavision/

What you are looking for is a "Sports Performance" course, or a "Level 1" course. You are basically attending a 2-3 day camp where they teach you the lifts well enough to teach them to others - some class time, some hands-on, written test. You will learn them well enough in a weekend to do power cleans, jerks, and snatches properly on your own, no problem. Doing the full lifts competition-style with max weight would require more courses and ongoing practice. Once you understand the theory and get taught directly by the pros, they are surprisingly easy.
anatomist1
anatomist1
United States
2008/03/23, 02:43 AM
I should add that before that, I tried to learn from books and even sought out a couple guys who thought they knew how to do them, and got nowhere. I could tell I would get injured if I kept at it, having no real clue. Since these courses are available, it seem like choosing one is a no-brainer. I was taught how to do the lifts by the actual head coach of the USA Olympic Weightlifting team in the Olympic training facility. If you can learn directly from such an authority, why settle for a substitute?