Group: Beginners to Exercise

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 968, Messages: 18927

Share and offer advice to beginners to the fitness world!

Join group

Is Dizzy Normal?

dool889
dool889
Canada
2009/05/16, 12:07 AM
So I have just started a regular workout regiment for the first time in my life. I'm 23, 6,0 208lbs. so I'm a bit over weight. Because I'm not used to working out I set it in a time slot that I am comfortable with and will more then likely not skip so that's at 11:00pm.

I'm finding that the workouts are great. It's been slightly over 2 weeks and I'm already feeling a little bit stronger and can do more reps. I'm not sure if it's mental or if muscle can even build that fast but it seams to be working out.

My only issue is that I have started to get really tired lately and during my 3rd or 4 set of some exercises (particularly Home Squats and the Dips behind the Back) I get dizzy. My guess was that it was the sudden change in elevation so I slowed it down but that didn't help.

I am really enjoying the results but am a bit worried about me getting dizzy. A few time I was borderline blacking out. Is this something I should be expecting to happen because I'm new and it will get better or should I see a doctor about this?

I would appreciate any advice I can get.
2009/05/16, 12:30 AM
i get dizzy bending over doing yard work and standing abruptly very occasionally. My doc said get used to it. I'm also 56. If you get dizzy on the home workout I think I'd see a doctor. I still lift pretty hard for a geezer and dizzy never enters into it.

--------------
I would have a million dollars now if only I had only followed CNBCs advice...and I had started with a hundred million dollars.

Charlie
yadmit
yadmit
Canada
2009/05/16, 12:39 AM
Are you eating before your workout?

--------------
I see the words you are typing, but all I read is *click*click*click*

Fat loss isn?t under the control of the magic fat loss fairies. - Alwyn Cosgrove
dool889
dool889
Canada
2009/05/16, 09:12 AM
I usually eat a little bit before and after my workouts. Not entire meals but snacks. Something like a few pieces of toast wit a variety of toppings or something.

I used to be in the habit of eating one large meal a day but I have since changed to eating 304 smaller meals a day. From what I understand this is much more healthy. That was back in September. I also stopped eating red meat at that time too. Not sure if that's related or not but more info is better.
yadmit
yadmit
Canada
2009/05/16, 09:44 AM
You should have some carbs/protien before your workout... well, I do anyway, otherwise I don't have the energy and get dizzy/shaky.

I usually have 2/3 of a cup of oatmeal and about half a cup to a cup of cottage cheese then off to the gym within half an hour.

Works for me.

--------------
I see the words you are typing, but all I read is *click*click*click*

Fat loss isn?t under the control of the magic fat loss fairies. - Alwyn Cosgrove
dool889
dool889
Canada
2009/05/18, 11:57 PM
I tried eating before my workout again today but I made it quite a bit larger then it was before. It was still just crackers and cheese but there was a lot more of it! I didn't get dizzy at all until I finished my very last calf raise and I think that was just from exertion.

Thanks for the advice.
SuperDupper
SuperDupper
United States
2009/06/01, 05:34 PM
Drink more water. Maybe your body gets dehydrated :) I felt the same sometime but I used to take a little break eat my bars and drink more water..:) then continued exercise.
dool889
dool889
Canada
2009/06/02, 12:21 AM
Yea I came to that conclusion as well, I sweet a lot. (probably because I''m fat - In my opinion I am) So 1/2 way through my workout I usually drink 1/2 a liter of water and everything is fine.

I also have a defective kidney so Only one works. As a result I need to drink more fluids. Not sure why but that was what I was told as a child and I just kept with it my whole life.