Group: Injuries & Rehabilitation

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 54, Messages: 4465

Dealing with injuries and learning how to avoid them is extremely important!

Join group

Injured lower back

lynnoakdale
lynnoakdale
United States
2004/04/08, 09:53 AM
Can I just say that this workout thing has been an experience for me. A few weeks ago I started doing aerobics and was very happy with the results because I could tell a difference in my run. I didnt seem to get tired as fast as I normally did. Tuesday was my leg day so I headed to the gym and decided to run 2 miles to loosen up the legs.....my exercises included the leg press (heaviest was 45 pounds) and some hamstring curls. By this time it is 6:30pm and I head to my aerobics class which kicked my behind all over the place. This is normal because it is pretty intense. I go home and set in my MAN CHIAR (aka as my recliner) an vegged for a bit while I ate my baked chicken breast and a cup of steamed okra for dinner. I took a shower got ready for bed and went to sleep......
3am I woke up to use the bathroom and man did I feel the pain my lower back was hurting so bad I could hardly walk so I got back into bed and tossed and turned trying to get comfortable but that wasnt happening. I laid there for hours trying to find a spot to lay in so my back didnt hurt...I got up went to the doctor and he began to press on my muscles on the sides of my spin and he said that they were knotted up pretty bad........so he sent me to bed for the rest of the day and gave me motrin and flexiril so today my back is sore but not as bad as it was.........but the bad thing is no exercise for a week until it heals. I have to take my Physical readiness test for the Navy next weekend and I am praying to god that it is better by then........I feel really lost and useless by not being able to go to the gym that took up a huge part of my day........and not to mention I am afriad that I will gain what i have worked so hard to lose back.....anyway I will be gone for a week or so and to those of you who are on the pain train hang on and I will join you in a few......:dumbbell:
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2004/04/09, 08:27 AM
You won't decondition as fast as you think. This will give your muscles time to fully heal and you will come back stronger!

It sounds like you are still overexercising a little and your back couldn't take it. Doing aerobics after working legs is too much.

I am not trying to bring you down further, just encouraging you to be sensible!

Take care, i hope your back is better soon!:)

--------------
If you fall down seven times, get up eight.
lynnoakdale
lynnoakdale
United States
2004/04/09, 01:21 PM
thanks for all the wonderful advice amy.....I have decided to relax a take it easy for a week or so.......no weights or high intensity workout.........just gonna start by walking a little in the evenings and then work it back up...
On a happier note......I got measured this morning for my pt test ...I had lost 2 1'2 inches in my waist and 2 inches in my hips.....I was really excited all the hard work is paying off............by me weighing the same and losing inches does this mean that I am gaining muscle? Thanks again amy you have been a great help and a huge support foundation for me here....:dumbbell::love:

--------------
you can lead the horse to the water but you can't make them drink.....

~lynnoakdale
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2004/04/09, 02:04 PM
Yes, you are probably losing fat and gaining muscle. Good job!

--------------
If you fall down seven times, get up eight.