Group: Beginners to Exercise

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 966, Messages: 18927

Share and offer advice to beginners to the fitness world!

Join group

Sticky If you're new to lifting..

resultset_first resultset_previous 1 2 of 2 pages
2012/11/15, 01:41 PM
good plan. Do as much research on diet as you can. Dump processed food, sweets , sodas as much as possible. Eat whole umprocessed foods. Welcome here. Use the check in discussion board to give and receive encouragement.
seth5555
seth5555
United States
2013/01/05, 04:24 PM
alright look im only 14 years old but i lift a lot ive met college strength coaches ive studied it a while i wouldnt say im a advanced lifter but i think i know my ropes around it first of all i believe there a three types of lifts---high reps with light weight for a cut and toned look-----medium reps with medium weight for size and strength----and very very low reps with high weight for strength low reps will build the most strength--- lets say u know u got muscle but u cant see it there is fat in the way u need to do a high rep low weight workout same for the size and strength u would do reps of 8 and numbers around there and for strength reps of 4 2 2 and 1 with 1 being ur max its not going to put the size on as much as the sets of eight will its just going to get u stronger and im sure all of u know what building muscle is its destroying muscle and the muscle is building it back stronger to become immune to that work out and for those who are trying to get there bench up but cant seem to raise it at the rate u want it try getting off the bench working other small groups of muscles like the rotator cuffs if u do the right workouts u can increase ur bench by 20 pounds in 4 weeks if u do it right well i thought yall we like to hear some of my knowledge reply if u want help with anything oh yeah and those who are trying to lose weight look into the afterburn affect
slimkiran
slimkiran
Malaysia
2013/01/24, 04:33 PM
ruzelgjamilon
CharlieMV - nice post!! 

I stopped weighing on the scale a long time ago. I hae only lost 10lbs in 2 years but i went down 3-4 sizes down. 

What I do now is to buy clothes that is actually too tight for me... and find that in a month (or 2), the clothes would fit nicely and after another 2 or 3 months, the clothes would be a bit too big for me. :)

I also find out that, more than focusing too much on the "ideal weight" for a 5'1 27  years old woman, Its more fun to focus on how you are improving on cardio and work outs. That is where I get my motiviation to sweat every day.

Lastly, how effective the workout will be for you is on case case to basis. The plan that worked for me, may not work for you. but the main thing - to keep the plan working - is to find a program that you enjoy - this will be a good way to make sure you keep to your plan for the rest of your life.

As many of the members here say - its not supposed to be short term fix for the extra fat but a lifestyle change.

---I ve been doing this for years too... I also kind of punish myself by not buy any nice new clothes so that i make an effort to get in what i already have... 
Again those clothes which i loved in the past and i do not feel like throwing them away, even tho they are out of fashion, i keep them and keep trying to get into them... so i have a shelf at the bottom of my cupboard, which carry all these clothes. There was a time when it was bulging out and many clothes were falling off as i was just adding the ones that i coulntd wear anymore. Now the shelf is getting much easier access as i have managed to take out few trousers, tops from the shelf to wear them. No doubt they might be out of fashion but who cares as long as i look good in them :)
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2013/06/12, 08:58 PM
MamaWants2BFit
Good morning! Hope to find everyone healthy and happy.My name is Donna, and I hope to become great friends with some or all of you. 3 months ago I weighed 218 lbs at 5"2. Aweful, I know!!!! Thank goodness I came to my sences..I decided to put down the Big Mac, Super size Dr.Pepper, and SS fries. I crawled out of  bed and joined a gym. I dropped my caloric intake to 1200 a day and started doing cardio. Today, I am 190 pounds. 
I know that muscle weighs more than fat but I just want to be greedy for just a while longer and continue to lose weight. How long can I continue to just do cardio without weights (don't want to gain the muscle pounds just yet)? Can I or Should I do low weights untill I get my desired weight?

---You have to 'learn' your body. I have been preaching this to folks for years. The goal is to be healthy for the body you are in. This can be achieved even if you 'look' a bit plump. Looking like a body builder does not equate to optimum health. Do what works for you. You should always strive to add in strength training, at any stage of your fitness routine. Strength training does not necessarily equate to muscle gain, yet muscle strength. Muscle strength leads to the ability to do more things, to burn fat easier, and to be healthier overall. Say for instance you would have an accident (God forbid). Recovery for instance will be much easier, faster, and full. There are way too many reasons to strength train, and not really any to not do so.
1972chevy
1972chevy
United States
2013/09/19, 09:58 AM
I just bought a bench press with an assortment of dumbells. I am a logger in the mountains of colorado so i am in pretty good shape. My goal is to add mass and strength i do not even know where to start with a routine? can someone please help me get started!
BeauBody38
BeauBody38
United States
2015/01/02, 12:23 AM
Take note also that muscles are heavier than fats. Initial weight gain is due to muscle build up.
pvanessaw
pvanessaw
United States
2016/08/02, 12:29 PM
Hello! I am new to this forum and if you're looking for personal training assistance and/or nutrition coaching, I offer certified online coaching for both areas of wellness and would love to help you reach your goals together, whether it's fat loss, muscle gain, or just to get into shape for your health. If you're interested in working together, please feel free to contact me (Paige) at walte497@d.umn.edu to get started. I look forward to hearing from you! :) I also have a blog/website that you can check out if you want to get to know more about me and my background- www.walte497.wix.com/paige
resultset_first resultset_previous 1 2 of 2 pages