Group: Beginners to Exercise

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 968, Messages: 18927

Share and offer advice to beginners to the fitness world!

Join group

Sticky If you're new to lifting..

2012/02/12, 03:52 PM
then there are some things that you need to be aware of.  Chances are if you are new to lifting you're carrying a bit or a lot of body fat. As you lift you begin to build muscle and that's a good thing. But you're also going to find that your measurements and weight may actually increase. The increase in measurements is simply a function of the underlying muscle you've built is pushing out the layer of fat on the surface. The weight increase is related. A pound of fat makes a larger mass than does a pound of muscle.

The worst fat that you can carry is visceral fat which is internal and carried around the organs. It's dangerous. You'll know it's there if you are hard as a rock outside but appear overweight. You can only keep control of visceral fat with diet and exercise and if you have it, it's vital to lose it. So it's actually healthier to have your flab on the outside.

Anyway, back to the main subject, most people have to learn to eat properly at least as much if not more than they need to gain knowledge on working out. Processed foods, sugar and soft drinks are the worst offenders and you have to do your own homework to learn what to avoid. If it makes your tongue chane colors, don't eat it. If it can sit in a box or a bag for a month, don't eat it. There are very few exceptions.

The main reason for this screed is to let rookies know that weight gain and size increase is very normal in the beginning and also very temporary. Use your pants to gage your progress and don't get discouraged if the change takes a few months to happen. It's entirely possible that after 6 months of proper diet and exercise that you'll weigh more and have a smaller waist..

The best tool for figuring this out is between your ears. Ask questions. Dig for information. Lift heavy and do your cardiac work. It's a numbers game. 3500 calories is a pound of weight as far as counting. So if you burn 1750 extra calories a week and eat the same as usual you will lose 2 pounds in a month. Add in proper diet and more exercise and there is more benefit. 

I've noticed a great swell of new people here every January 1 and too many drop off after a month or two. If you're one of the lucky few who actually make the lifestyle change and stick to it for years you're going to be pleasantly surprised at what your body will be capable of and how good you can feel.

Don't quit.
ruzelgjamilon
ruzelgjamilon
Philippines
2012/02/19, 08:17 AM
CharlieMV - nice post!! 

I stopped weighing on the scale a long time ago. I hae only lost 10lbs in 2 years but i went down 3-4 sizes down. 

What I do now is to buy clothes that is actually too tight for me... and find that in a month (or 2), the clothes would fit nicely and after another 2 or 3 months, the clothes would be a bit too big for me. :)

I also find out that, more than focusing too much on the "ideal weight" for a 5'1 27  years old woman, Its more fun to focus on how you are improving on cardio and work outs. That is where I get my motiviation to sweat every day.

Lastly, how effective the workout will be for you is on case case to basis. The plan that worked for me, may not work for you. but the main thing - to keep the plan working - is to find a program that you enjoy - this will be a good way to make sure you keep to your plan for the rest of your life.

As many of the members here say - its not supposed to be short term fix for the extra fat but a lifestyle change.
lpellerin67
lpellerin67
United States
2012/03/30, 10:54 AM
CharlieMV
then there are some things that you need to be aware of.  Chances are if you are new to lifting you're carrying a bit or a lot of body fat. As you lift you begin to build muscle and that's a good thing. But you're also going to find that your measurements and weight may actually increase. The increase in measurements is simply a function of the underlying muscle you've built is pushing out the layer of fat on the surface. The weight increase is related. A pound of fat makes a larger mass than does a pound of muscle.

The worst fat that you can carry is visceral fat which is internal and carried around the organs. It's dangerous. You'll know it's there if you are hard as a rock outside but appear overweight. You can only keep control of visceral fat with diet and exercise and if you have it, it's vital to lose it. So it's actually healthier to have your flab on the outside.

Anyway, back to the main subject, most people have to learn to eat properly at least as much if not more than they need to gain knowledge on working out. Processed foods, sugar and soft drinks are the worst offenders and you have to do your own homework to learn what to avoid. If it makes your tongue chane colors, don't eat it. If it can sit in a box or a bag for a month, don't eat it. There are very few exceptions.

The main reason for this screed is to let rookies know that weight gain and size increase is very normal in the beginning and also very temporary. Use your pants to gage your progress and don't get discouraged if the change takes a few months to happen. It's entirely possible that after 6 months of proper diet and exercise that you'll weigh more and have a smaller waist..

The best tool for figuring this out is between your ears. Ask questions. Dig for information. Lift heavy and do your cardiac work. It's a numbers game. 3500 calories is a pound of weight as far as counting. So if you burn 1750 extra calories a week and eat the same as usual you will lose 2 pounds in a month. Add in proper diet and more exercise and there is more benefit. 

I've noticed a great swell of new people here every January 1 and too many drop off after a month or two. If you're one of the lucky few who actually make the lifestyle change and stick to it for years you're going to be pleasantly surprised at what your body will be capable of and how good you can feel.

Don't quit.

---
lpellerin67
lpellerin67
United States
2012/03/30, 10:55 AM
My name is Lisa, I'm 44 years old .  My height is 5'2", and I weigh 194.  I have been lifting for aproximately 2 months.  Believe it or not, I'm not fat.  Solid, but not fat.  Can I continue to lift or should I try losing weight first.  I lift 6 times per week and do 30 minutes of cardio every day. I really want to be healthy.  I'm not looking for any modeling contracts!
2012/03/30, 12:10 PM
Lifting should be fine. You say that you are solid. There is something that is potentially dangerous that you need to look into. I was 30 lbs heavier about 7 years ago. My middle was rock solid as well as the rest of me. I read a post here about visceral fat. That's internal fat that is literally wrapped around your organs.Ever looked at marbled meat that is layers of white and red? It's like that.

Visveral fat is the most dangerous kind . It merits a talk with your doctor. If you are one in ten thousand women who are geneticy gifted, you may very well be in the exact place you want to be.  5'2" 194 sounds heavy to me for man or woman. I can't give you a for sure answer. My first blush, shot in the dark, SWAG would be to suggest that you stick with your lifting and cardiac but look to make sure your diet is clean. If it's clean, reduce calories by 200 per day for two weeks. If you see the tape measure move, stay there until the movement stops and then drop another 200 calories out of your daily diet.

Last but not least. If you are happy with your size and your doctor agrees you are at a healthy weight you may be just fine where you are. There is just too much shooting in the dark to answer a question like this on line.
yahanly22
yahanly22
United States
2012/04/05, 09:08 AM
Hi I've been working out at the gym but not having to much luck. I was told if you lift too much weight your building muscle and not burning fat, is this true?? How much weight I need to lift to burn fat? If it helps im 5'4 222lbs. Thanks
2012/04/05, 10:06 AM
I think that what they meant was that lifting as heavily as possible to the point where your repititions are low will build greaterv strength and muscle. Lifting lighter weights and doing more sets and higher repititions is more condusive to weight loss. You will build strength either way. The former also builds greater stamina.

The most important thing that you can do is pay attention to your diet and learn to eat properly. Cut out processed foods, sugar and sodas as much as possible. Welcome here and good luck.
MamaWants2BFit
MamaWants2BFit
United States
2012/07/09, 06:33 AM
Good morning! Hope to find everyone healthy and happy.My name is Donna, and I hope to become great friends with some or all of you. 3 months ago I weighed 218 lbs at 5"2. Aweful, I know!!!! Thank goodness I came to my sences..I decided to put down the Big Mac, Super size Dr.Pepper, and SS fries. I crawled out of  bed and joined a gym. I dropped my caloric intake to 1200 a day and started doing cardio. Today, I am 190 pounds. 
I know that muscle weighs more than fat but I just want to be greedy for just a while longer and continue to lose weight. How long can I continue to just do cardio without weights (don't want to gain the muscle pounds just yet)? Can I or Should I do low weights untill I get my desired weight?
2012/07/09, 11:20 PM
Muscle does not weigh more than fat. A pound of muscle weighs exactly the same as a pound of fat. A pound of muscle takes up less space than a pound of fat so really it makes no sense to worry that adding muscle may make you weigh more.

I'll try to make this simple. Your cardiac exercises burns calories while you are doing it. Lifting weight can burn fat for hours or days after you lift. It's really that simple. So by adding weight training to your already successful cardiac routine and diet work, you are just adding another weapon to the fight.

Congratulations on your weight loss. Pat yourself on the back. Welcome to FT and keep asking questions.

Let me make a suggestion. Don't put much stock into scales and weight. Pay attention to how your pants fit. It is entirely possible at your weight and height to lose fat and build muscle while getting smaller. So try to concentrate on size.

The 1200 calories per day is a concern. You simply aren't eating enough. You should bump yourself slowly up to about 2200 calories per day at your weight. What you are actually doing is burning muscle because your body believes it is starving and it's holding on to fat. It sounds crazy but you really need to eat more, add a weight lifting routine to your cardiac work. Eat between 1 to 1.5 grams of protein per pound of body weight. Keep avoiding sugar, processed foods, sweets and sodas.

A safe rate of weight loss is about 2 pounds a week. When you get closer to your goal weight that 2 pounds should drop to even less. You will minimize stretch marks by losing weight slowly and in a healthy fashion. Pay particular attention to your fat intake and your sweets. Learn the difference in a simple carb and a complex carb. I don't like to give a lot of science with answers to new folk. Suffice it to say that complex carbs actually burn more calories during the digestive process than do simple carbs. Pretty cool to think that you can burn more calories depending on the food you eat.

At 190 lbs your body needs about 1900 calories per day just to exist. The definition of existance for this discussion is sleeping eating and basically laying on the couch all day and getting up only to eat.

Once you get to 2200 calories per day drop about 100 calories per day from that number when you lose 10 more pounds. Repeat that until you hit your goal size. You can kave a beautiful shape at 5'2" while weighing 130 lbs. If you lift and do pretty heavy cardiac exercise you could easily find yourself eating 1600 to 1800 calories per day at that weight to maintain that size.

My BMI says that I am in the high overweight class. I am 6 feet tall, weigh 215 and have a 36 inch waist. Nobody who looks at me would believe the doctor's reference chart says I'm borderline obese. Weight is a relative thing. Your pants size never lies. Good luck
sadrac
sadrac
United States
2012/11/15, 10:16 AM
A lot of good information. Just started to hit the gym this week. I am 5'8" and weight about 300lbs. I was so frustrated because i did not know what to do as a routine for lifting weights. I read some of the comments above. I think i will do more reps at a lighter weight instead of doing less reps at a heavier weight. If you have any suggestions let me know but i am using one of your workout plans that i found on this website.
2012/11/15, 01:41 PM
good plan. Do as much research on diet as you can. Dump processed food, sweets , sodas as much as possible. Eat whole umprocessed foods. Welcome here. Use the check in discussion board to give and receive encouragement.
seth5555
seth5555
United States
2013/01/05, 04:24 PM
alright look im only 14 years old but i lift a lot ive met college strength coaches ive studied it a while i wouldnt say im a advanced lifter but i think i know my ropes around it first of all i believe there a three types of lifts---high reps with light weight for a cut and toned look-----medium reps with medium weight for size and strength----and very very low reps with high weight for strength low reps will build the most strength--- lets say u know u got muscle but u cant see it there is fat in the way u need to do a high rep low weight workout same for the size and strength u would do reps of 8 and numbers around there and for strength reps of 4 2 2 and 1 with 1 being ur max its not going to put the size on as much as the sets of eight will its just going to get u stronger and im sure all of u know what building muscle is its destroying muscle and the muscle is building it back stronger to become immune to that work out and for those who are trying to get there bench up but cant seem to raise it at the rate u want it try getting off the bench working other small groups of muscles like the rotator cuffs if u do the right workouts u can increase ur bench by 20 pounds in 4 weeks if u do it right well i thought yall we like to hear some of my knowledge reply if u want help with anything oh yeah and those who are trying to lose weight look into the afterburn affect
slimkiran
slimkiran
Malaysia
2013/01/24, 04:33 PM
ruzelgjamilon
CharlieMV - nice post!! 

I stopped weighing on the scale a long time ago. I hae only lost 10lbs in 2 years but i went down 3-4 sizes down. 

What I do now is to buy clothes that is actually too tight for me... and find that in a month (or 2), the clothes would fit nicely and after another 2 or 3 months, the clothes would be a bit too big for me. :)

I also find out that, more than focusing too much on the "ideal weight" for a 5'1 27  years old woman, Its more fun to focus on how you are improving on cardio and work outs. That is where I get my motiviation to sweat every day.

Lastly, how effective the workout will be for you is on case case to basis. The plan that worked for me, may not work for you. but the main thing - to keep the plan working - is to find a program that you enjoy - this will be a good way to make sure you keep to your plan for the rest of your life.

As many of the members here say - its not supposed to be short term fix for the extra fat but a lifestyle change.

---I ve been doing this for years too... I also kind of punish myself by not buy any nice new clothes so that i make an effort to get in what i already have... 
Again those clothes which i loved in the past and i do not feel like throwing them away, even tho they are out of fashion, i keep them and keep trying to get into them... so i have a shelf at the bottom of my cupboard, which carry all these clothes. There was a time when it was bulging out and many clothes were falling off as i was just adding the ones that i coulntd wear anymore. Now the shelf is getting much easier access as i have managed to take out few trousers, tops from the shelf to wear them. No doubt they might be out of fashion but who cares as long as i look good in them :)
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2013/06/12, 08:58 PM
MamaWants2BFit
Good morning! Hope to find everyone healthy and happy.My name is Donna, and I hope to become great friends with some or all of you. 3 months ago I weighed 218 lbs at 5"2. Aweful, I know!!!! Thank goodness I came to my sences..I decided to put down the Big Mac, Super size Dr.Pepper, and SS fries. I crawled out of  bed and joined a gym. I dropped my caloric intake to 1200 a day and started doing cardio. Today, I am 190 pounds. 
I know that muscle weighs more than fat but I just want to be greedy for just a while longer and continue to lose weight. How long can I continue to just do cardio without weights (don't want to gain the muscle pounds just yet)? Can I or Should I do low weights untill I get my desired weight?

---You have to 'learn' your body. I have been preaching this to folks for years. The goal is to be healthy for the body you are in. This can be achieved even if you 'look' a bit plump. Looking like a body builder does not equate to optimum health. Do what works for you. You should always strive to add in strength training, at any stage of your fitness routine. Strength training does not necessarily equate to muscle gain, yet muscle strength. Muscle strength leads to the ability to do more things, to burn fat easier, and to be healthier overall. Say for instance you would have an accident (God forbid). Recovery for instance will be much easier, faster, and full. There are way too many reasons to strength train, and not really any to not do so.
1972chevy
1972chevy
United States
2013/09/19, 09:58 AM
I just bought a bench press with an assortment of dumbells. I am a logger in the mountains of colorado so i am in pretty good shape. My goal is to add mass and strength i do not even know where to start with a routine? can someone please help me get started!
BeauBody38
BeauBody38
United States
2015/01/02, 12:23 AM
Take note also that muscles are heavier than fats. Initial weight gain is due to muscle build up.
pvanessaw
pvanessaw
United States
2016/08/02, 12:29 PM
Hello! I am new to this forum and if you're looking for personal training assistance and/or nutrition coaching, I offer certified online coaching for both areas of wellness and would love to help you reach your goals together, whether it's fat loss, muscle gain, or just to get into shape for your health. If you're interested in working together, please feel free to contact me (Paige) at walte497@d.umn.edu to get started. I look forward to hearing from you! :) I also have a blog/website that you can check out if you want to get to know more about me and my background- www.walte497.wix.com/paige