Group: Beginners to Exercise

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 968, Messages: 18927

Share and offer advice to beginners to the fitness world!

Join group

i need help and explanations pls!

demonium
demonium
Ireland
2012/02/08, 01:28 PM
i just generate my work out program using "gym training work out program" basically for every exercise it says to do 4 set and each set has different reps...for example first set 15 rep second set 12 rep third set 10 ecc...what id like to know is..do i have to keep the same weight for every set or do i have to increase the weight ech set...and how long do i have to rest between each set and exercise...?pls someone tell what to do cause im not sure..
george
george
Canada
2012/02/08, 07:08 PM
Hi there again. They key with reps is to reach the required number with a weight that you comes to close to failure with for that rep range. So basically, if you have to do a set for 12 reps, then you find a weight that you can pretty much do 12 repetitions to failure.

This takes time as you learn which exercises require which weight, trial and error. This is why it's good to log or record the weight you use each workout so you can remember and increase accordingly each time.

If the reps are going down, then you would need a higher weight each time. Make sense?

As I wrote on your other question, if there is no rest time specified, then a general rule is 60-90 seconds, if that is too easy then 45-60 seconds.

Again, best of luck!
heraldstorm
heraldstorm
United States
2012/02/08, 09:01 PM
Yep, pretty much what George said.  I know a lot of guys (they are pretty advanced weight lifters) that increase the weight through each rep, as you say.  Keep in mind that one of the most important things about lifting weights is the starting posture, and the form while performing the exercise.  It's far better to do 9 flat presses with 145 LBS where you spend about 8 seconds on each press than it is to do 7 flat presses at 175 LBS and you rap them out as fast as your chest and arms can manage.  You want to work the muscle, and you want to do it slowly and carefully.  Trust me, if you count to 4 while you're lifting up, and count to 4 while you're resting back down, you WILL feel it, and your muscles will be screaming.  This may require less weight, but if you can't do the exercise smoothly, and correctly, you should lower the weight.

Now, if you're really wanting to gain lots of muscle mass, and you're all into supplements and stuff, then you're probably ready for a workout like you describe, but your workouts should each be as efficient and effective as you can possibly make them, so use good control and form!
-Herald
demonium
demonium
Ireland
2012/02/09, 06:34 AM
thanks a lot guys...ill do my best...