Group: Injuries & Rehabilitation

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 54, Messages: 4465

Dealing with injuries and learning how to avoid them is extremely important!

Join group

I keep getting hurt

skeys
skeys
United States
2004/04/04, 10:49 PM
It seems like everytime i workout something gets hurt for a few days. I warm up for 5-7 min then stretch everything for 5 min. then get back on the tredmill and run/jog 3 miles. Then I do some abs or light weightlifting on different muscles groups daily. I wourkout 4-6 times a week. Last week I had terrible shin splits (i could not even walk so i did not workout). Once I got better I pulled something in my quads on my left leg just getting out of my car 2 hours after my workout. So now everytime i get out of my car I pull it again. I am trying to be careful but I forget and it is usually too late when I remember. It hurts from my hip all the way down to my knee. Sometimes i can get up too fast and hurt it, it hurts to cross my legs or stand on the hurt leg. Can anyone tell me what to do. I know that I am not over doing any workouts. I cant stand not to workout but i dont want to make it worse. I have not worked out since i hurt my leg on thursday. Please help:(
2004/04/05, 10:51 AM
First, heal thyself. My wife does the same thing. You need to learn the difference in injury and soreness. That just takes time. If you are injured, rest and get well. If you are sore, you need to work through it.

6 days a week is a lot. You may want to cut back to 3 or 4 days a week and put a rest day in between. Even relatively light weight may be too much for a beginner. Hows your diet and rest? In the workout department less may be more for a while.

--------------
A problem ceases to be such when you can laugh about it.

Charlie
princesslodgey
princesslodgey
United Kingdom
2004/04/06, 05:01 AM
This may be totally irrelevant but you're not really flexible are you? I've got joint hypermobility syndrome and I have to be careful (I've given up running because I keep getting injured). I reckon stretching before a workout makes matters worse rather than better. See your doc if you think this might apply

otherwise forget the whole post!
skeys
skeys
United States
2004/04/06, 11:52 AM
I am flexible but not too much.

My diet is healthly with only a few sweets when I get a strong craving but that is only about once a week. I was having a hard time sleeping a couple of weeks ago, do think that is the reason? I know that this is a inury and not just sorness.

Thanks for all your input.
arondaballer
arondaballer
United States
2004/04/14, 08:18 PM
Be sure and not stretch too much before your workout. Think of noodles here....when they're warm, they're flexible. Do some dynamic warmup before you stretch to get warm and to get the blood flowing, and don't stretch that much. Just enough to get loose. Stretching too much can take away from your maximum contraction of your muscles during your workout. Just my two cents

--------------
I firmly believe that any man's finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is the moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle-victorious.
--Vince Lombardi
"Decide what you want, decide what you are willing to exchange for it. Establish your priorities and go to work." H. L. Hunt

assante74
assante74
United States
2004/04/16, 09:06 AM
stretch, stretch, and stretch. I would recommend going to a doctor.