Group: Women's Club

Created: 2011/12/31, Members: 525, Messages: 10844

A place for women to gather and share experiences, advice and information amongst themselves.

Join group

I have motivation issues

kstockton
kstockton
United States
2007/06/30, 04:02 PM
Okay, so basically the whole reason I am here is to light a fire under my lazy butt and try to get back into shape. I have such problems being motivated enough to get up off that couch that I've gotten so far out of shape that everytime I try to workout again, I get intimidated and quit because I feel like there's no way I'll ever be as good as those crazy skinny people on tv! When I do workout, I don't feel good when it's over or pumped while I'm moving-- I usually just feel worse about myself than I did before because I can't keep up. I also have trouble with denying food-- I know what the right things to eat are, but I just want that fried food more. And right now I work at a seafood restaurant in the area, where fried food is EVERYWHERE! I hate the way I look, but I never can seem to get motivated enough to change it. I seldom find myself in a bathing suit, and I have a boyfriend who thinks there's nothing wrong with my body, so you can see why there's a lack of motivation to get moving. I'm about to move away to go to college in about five weeks, so I'll start having access to a gym, but I want to be motivated enough to actually go...

Basically what I need to know: How do you all get yourselves motivated enough to get up and get going? And how do you get past the negative thoughts that pop up while you exercise?

--------------
I pay no attention whatever to anyone\'s praise or blame; I simply follow my own feelings. - W.A. Mozart
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2007/06/30, 08:36 PM
Negative thoughts are a habit that you can change - anytime you feel a negative thought, push it aside mentally and replace it with a positive phrase that motivates you (mine is "my metabolism is higher every day").

Ease into your workouts so you can create a feeling of succees from them - this is a journey and a lifestyle - not a fight between you and your workouts or you and your poor body-image.

If you are truely unhappy with the way things are - write it all down and then read it when ever you feel like not doing your workouts or eating foods that won't help you achieve your goals.

Ahh, goals...set them and achieve them. Set small, attainable goals (even as simple as "I will work out twice this week") Achieving small goals leads to higher belief in your ability to achieve goals and be successful.

When i need motivation I come here and read posts and chat with people who will help motivate me. I also read motivational magazines...journal in my goals journal...or sometimes just lie down for a few minutes and consider why i am doing this... If you workout for your health, as opposed to your looks, and the looking good is a nice side benefit, maybe that will be more motivating. Think of your quality of life, your health in the future...all the life-style related diseases you cut the risk of by exercising regularily and eating healthily.

Well, anyhow - i hope this helps and you find your motivation. If there is one thing i wish I had done differently it would have been to get into fitness earlier!

--------------

While we may not be able to control all that happens to us, we can control what happens inside us.
- Ben Franklin
kstockton
kstockton
United States
2007/06/30, 10:34 PM
Thank you so much--- This is exactly what I need, other people to help motivate me and tell me to get going!

--------------
I pay no attention whatever to anyone\'s praise or blame; I simply follow my own feelings. - W.A. Mozart