Group: Health Supplements

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 101, Messages: 16612

Supplements can be a great aid with your health and fitness goals. Combined with the proper exercise and nutritional plan they can be quite effective.

Join group

i have high blood pressure

frankykiller
frankykiller
India
2002/12/10, 12:44 AM
hey ppl i have found out that i have high blood pressure
from last month.
tell me what supplyments i can use now !
can i use proteins or creatines.
i know about fat burners are not recomended.

or shold i continue weight training now or not?

j_dino
j_dino
United States
2002/12/10, 10:06 AM
I used creatine when I had high blood pressure which needed to be treated with medication and had no adverse reactions. Regular supplements like vitamins and amino acids should be fine. Stay away from anything that promises to give you a boost of energy. (Be sure to check with your doctor. A phone call should be all that you need. And read the labels carefully on anything you are considering taking).I was a bit over weight, about 35-40 lbs and focused on cardiovascular work, especially interval training and of course some whole body weight lifting. Took about six months to drop the weight and get the cardio up and I dropped the weight and my blood pressure to the point that the doctor took me off of blood pressure medication. I started a building routine about 3 months ago and things are going great. I have been off of high blood pressure medication for almost a year. My dad saw the results I have gotten and has followed suit dropping his high blood pressure medicine as well.
Best wishes, you can do it!!!!
Jason
jbennett
jbennett
United States
2002/12/10, 12:25 PM
Creatine and protein supplements do not affect blood pressure at all. Excessive caffeine and, of course, ephedra should be avoided.

Weight training will actually lower your BP. During intense excercise, your BP increases only while you are performing the excercise itself. That's why I see spots during heavy lifts (I'm sure some of you know what I'm talking about). After you're done training, your BP will return to normal or slightly below normal. Stay consistant in your routine and that will sometimes work better than the medication.

--------------
--JBennett
"I've up-ed my intensity.... now up yours!"
"Pain is only weakness leaving the body."
"Never think of how weak you are; think of how strong you're going to be."
Carivan
Carivan
Canada
2002/12/10, 04:00 PM
Just to repeat and to give you 3 out of 3, the protien and creatine won't effect the bp.
My wife used to have high bp and works out regularly 3x a week. It went from 180/100 down to an average of 130/70. We monitor it every 2nd morning with a pump style machine that has been checked for accuracy with the doc.
Take it easy with the cardio at the beginning, check with your doc as ours said not for her to go over a certain % hr.

--------------
The trouble with jogging is that, by the time you realize you are not in shape for it, it is too far to walk back! Franklin P. Jones

Ivan Montreal Canada
lewdog_55
lewdog_55
United States
2002/12/10, 08:33 PM
are we sure that creatine doesnt affect blood pressure. because sometimes with high blood pressure they give you a diaredic (no idea on how to spell). This takes the water out of your system which helps lower blood pressure but creatine keeps the water in your system. Anyone every thought of this??

--------------
"Imagine what you could do,if you could do what you imagine."
Canada
2002/12/10, 08:50 PM
My wife is taking creatine and protien and her #'s are ok.
The diuretic is for people who retain water.

--------------
The trouble with jogging is that, by the time you realize you are not in shape for it, it is too far to walk back! Franklin P. Jones

Ivan Montreal Canada
lewdog_55
lewdog_55
United States
2002/12/11, 08:22 PM
Yeah my point is if you take creatine you WILL BE retaining water which can increase blood pressure.
Carivan
Carivan
Canada
2002/12/11, 08:42 PM
I understand your point, but, not all people who have High bp retain water.

--------------

Ivan Montreal Canada
lewdog_55
lewdog_55
United States
2002/12/11, 08:58 PM
true. I am just concerned because I am only 17 yet I had to see the doctor about my blood pressure cause it was constanly like 150-60/70-80. very bad ration. My mom says creatine probably wouldnt be a good idea for me and I really dont want to take the chance with it. But maybe it wont affect me at all. So I really dont know what I should do.
Carivan
Carivan
Canada
2002/12/11, 09:03 PM
lol spreading your posts everywhere.
Check with your Dr about the creatine. HBP has really stumped all drs as to having no known causes. Its the lower #that the docs are really concerned with. 60-70 is not bad, but watch that 80 creep up. But ask the Doc.

--------------

Ivan Montreal Canada
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2002/12/11, 09:17 PM
Numerous studies have shown, and creatine is the most researched supplement ever, that it is completely safe, even over years of use. I made a post to a study that was done with people using it from a range of 8 months to 8 yrs. and no harmful effects in any way. I will try to find it and post it again for you. You may want to look elsewhere for your problems. By all means though, consult a physician. I can guess this though, most are unaware of the unique needs of a resistance training athlete, and by sheer no understanding, will tell you not to take it. Best of luck to you. And keep your health first and foremost.

--------------
The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary!
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2002/12/11, 09:22 PM
Here is that post... An article I read quite some time back....Numerous studies over the last 10 years have demonstrated conclusively that
creatine is a safe,effective nutritional supplement. Creatine supplementation is also shown to provide many other
health benefits, such as fot those people who suffer neuro muscular diseases. A study assessing the long term effects
ofcreatine supplementation and the incidence of reported side effects from creatine use. 26 atheletes from various
sports gave blood samples. Analyses were preformed on testosterone, cortisol, and growth hormone, as well as the
standard clinical CBC and 27 blood chemistry analyses. They all answered a questionaire on medical history, training
history. Their blood chemistries were directly compared to each other and to athletes who did not use creatine to assess
for any abnormalities. the groups useing creatine used it for periods ranging from EIGHT MONTHS TO FOUR YEARS.
There were no differences reported, no incidence of muscle injury, cramps or other side effects between either group.
All blood chemistry readings fell within the normal clinical range. The researchers concluded that this data
demonstrates long term use of creatine does not result in any adverse health effects.

--------------
The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary!
frankykiller
frankykiller
India
2002/12/12, 09:07 AM
hey guys thanx for all the replies
i have bp 160/85
does i need any medication or it can be controlled by cardio
please help
j_dino
j_dino
United States
2002/12/12, 01:24 PM
Check with your doctor. High blood pressure over time can be very dangerous and can lead to strokes and or other heart problems. I went on blood pressure medication until I was able to get it down on my own. I no longer take the meds. It is better to take the meds than to let it run high.

Jason
Carivan
Carivan
Canada
2002/12/12, 04:09 PM
ask your doc! He might say wait 1 month and see. But
Ask the dr.

--------------

Ivan Montreal Canada
mandre
mandre
United States
2002/12/12, 07:51 PM
Ask the Doctor to evaluate you as far as medication is concerned. Pretty much what he or she will tell you is that diet and exercise will lower your blood pressure. Stop or cut down on smoking if you do. Use alcohol sparingly.

:) Melissa

--------------
Excellence is an art won by training and habituation. We do not act rightly because we have virtue or excellence, but rather we have those because we have acted rightly. We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit.
- -- Aristotle
tshatchley
tshatchley
United States
2005/07/13, 12:33 PM
aren't there any women in this program
ghpq2
ghpq2
United States
2008/05/12, 01:00 PM
:angry::big_smile::angry::surprised::):(:angry::angry::angry::angry::angry: