Group: Experienced Exercise

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 50, Messages: 19484

For intermediate and advanced individuals. Share and learn how to take your fitness to the next level!

Join group

I found this new exercise....

dchinnici
dchinnici
United States
2002/03/23, 02:19 PM
The exercise is this, They are seated side lat raises. The thing that is different about them is that the movement starts with both arms out. You then move one arm down to your side and back up, then the other, that is one rep. It is basically the reverse of regualr side lat raises. I have done it a couple times and it SUCKS (in a good way though). I am wondering if anyone else has heard of this or does it and what the difference is between regular raises. Also, could I do this same idea into other exercises like front lat raises?
rpacheco
rpacheco
United States
2002/03/23, 07:23 PM
The difference between the two is really the focus. One focuses on the negative and the other on the positive. If you want to raise the intensity of the exercise, lower the weight in 4 seconds and then raise in 2. This puts the emphasis on the negative.

You can then do the same on the normal side lat raises by raising the weights in 4 seconds then lowering in 2. Don't go heavy on these exercises, but use low to moderate weights. Give these a try...you'll feel a big difference!

--------------
**_Robert_**
dmvwh8kq4j
dmvwh8kq4j
United States
2002/03/24, 11:37 AM
That is a great variation for shoulder work. I use something similar for both side laterals and front raises in my strength training classes. I start with the weights in the down position and raise both arms in 2 counts. Keeping the left arm raised, lower and raise only the right arm then holding the right arm up do the same thing on the left arm then bring both arms down in 2 counts. (8 counts total) This is one rep. Always do it slow and controlled and as Robert said, use low to moderate weight. It doesn't take very many reps. before those light weights feel heavy. These always gets my students screaming. They hurt so gooooood.

Nancy
Philia2
Philia2
France
2002/03/25, 01:50 AM
But be careful not to stress TOO MUCH your neck and back shoulders otherwise you'll wake up the next morning with head aches....

Just wanted to warn you.... Don't do this exercise more than once a week.

--------------
- Nina :o) La vie est toujours aussi belle.....