Group: Strength & Powerlifting

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 38, Messages: 16459

Discuss the topic of Power lifting, Strength training and Strong Man training!

Join group

I cannot believe this...

rev8ball
rev8ball
United States
2002/02/28, 04:21 PM
Just wanted to let everyone know about a really killer story:

I volunteer for a youth group here in Vegas that develops leadership skills and is anti-drug and anti-gang. Every summer, we have a camp up in the nearby mountains. We usually have a special-guest speaker to come up for a few hours on the first day to really kick things off for the kids; but this year, funds have been really tight. Anyway, I had met strongman Anthony Clark 2 yrs ago at the Olympia here in Vegas. He had always been an idol of mine while I was pursuing a powerlifting career: very soft spoken and modest, especially when asked about his many records.

I knew he did motivational speeches for kids, churches, prisons, etc., so I this past week, I went to his web site and left a message on the company’s mail asking info about possibly getting him as a guest for a few hours. Two days later, I get a phone call at my office from Anthony Clark himself! He said the company had forwarded the message to him, and that he liked the info about the camp that he wanted to talk to me personally, instead of going through his publicist. Well, to say I was flabbergasted is an understatement. After talking for a while, he said he was really interested in the camp, and would love to do it. He insisted, however, that instead of just talking for a few hours (like speakers usually do), he asked if he could stay there a few days so he could really interact with the kids. He also said he could do a few strength demonstrations, like “pick up a car,” his words, not mine (LOL)! I damn near fell over!

So, now we have booked one of the world’s strongest men at our youth camp! I can’t wait to see the kids’ reactions when he shows up. I’ll let all of u know come June how it went, and maybe I’ll post some photos on my website.

----------------------------
Michael
"Trample the weak; hurdle the dead!"
rpacheco
rpacheco
United States
2002/02/28, 04:45 PM
Can I come join the kids???

--------------
**_Robert_**
jbennett
jbennett
United States
2002/02/28, 08:50 PM
Where do I sign up for that camp?!?! That is awesome! I was just cruising around Anthony Clark's website just a few days ago and checking out all the insane records he holds. I don't think there's a much better way to relate to the kids than to let them interact with a successful athlete with some positive, inspirational words to say. As a middle school teacher and high school baseball coach, I know that kids are drawn to the success of athletes and they try to emulate their success all the time. I hope eveything works out for you!!

--------------
--JBennett
"I've up-ed my intensity.... now up yours!"
"Pain is only weakness leaving the body."