Group: Injuries & Rehabilitation

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 54, Messages: 4465

Dealing with injuries and learning how to avoid them is extremely important!

Join group

how to not hurt myself

sandysford
sandysford
United States
2003/05/02, 04:42 PM
Many of the injuries that occur during training are due to lack of knowledge on how the body functions and are easily avoidable. Before any type of training takes place, stretching is necessary to warm up the muscles and get them ready for use. A cold muscle is easily pulled, causing pain and discomfort.

Prevention of injuries can be accomplished through strengthening of muscles. Strong muscles and a well-balanced body make all types of activities easier to perform, preventing injury from overuse and strain. It is important to strengthen opposite muscles equally, for example the quadriceps and hamstrings, or the biceps along with the triceps. Resistance training strengthens the muscles surrounding joints, aiding in joint stability and muscle balance. Improvement of tendon and ligament strength is seen with resistance training as well.

Plenty of rest, good nutrition, and a properly hydrated body are also factors that play an important role in the prevention of injury during training.

As with any training program, making sure to start slowly with gradual increases in frequency, duration, and intensity is an important key to preventing injury. A general guideline to follow is the 10% rule; increase your training in 10% increments. Always make sure to listen to your body, it knows when to slow down and when it can handle more. Moderation is always best in avoidance of injury while training. Keep your program balanced making sure to include flexibility, cardiovascular, and strength training elements.

--------------
I will lift my own weight someday!!!!!
sypress
sypress
Canada
2003/05/02, 06:50 PM
Thanks again for the info sandysford !
Ogun
Ogun
United States
2003/05/02, 09:00 PM
I would also recommend this website for proper form, etc...it's very nice and constantly recommended by WebMD's Dr. Rich Weil, Fitness Expert (for whatever that's worth):
http://www.exrx.net/Exercise.html

They also have animated exercises, all you can imagine.

--------------
--There are no versions of the truth.--
Jeff Goldblum, Jurassic Park II