Group: General Fitness & Exercise

Created: 2011/12/31, Members: 379, Messages: 54577

Various general exercise related discussions. Find out what it takes to reach your fitness goals through daily effective exercise. With so many options we try to find out what works best.

Join group

How to get into peak condition

froshman
froshman
United States
2009/05/23, 09:30 AM
I wanna get into the best shape possible. Its a gift to myself. I work out already, have been for years, but want to get into top physical condition, esp. the cardio system. I will be hitting the weights too. I'm just not sure how to get into that kinda shape. Something tells me plain old treadmill won't cut it, but maybe I'm wrong.

What do I do?
And how long does it typically take to accomplish such a thing?
Carivan
Carivan
Canada
2009/05/23, 01:07 PM
Getting into "the best shape possible" is not a destination, it is a journey, never ending. It's a lifestyle.
Cardiovascular exercise, nutrition and a form of resistance training are the three keys.
Good luck.

--------------
Patience, persistence and perspiration make an unbeatable combination for success.

Ivan (GO HABS GO!)

Montreal Canada (City of Festivals)
returnofplex
returnofplex
United States
2009/05/23, 01:15 PM
Exactly what carivan said. Think of your fitness as a triangle; Diet, strength training,and cardio.
froshman
froshman
United States
2009/05/23, 04:12 PM
Right on!
The thing is, I think I'm not sure how to go about getting into peak cardio conditioning. What would be the best program? I recall working with a trainer years ago, and he had me doing crazy circuits etc., but I burnt out quickly and found myself dreading the gym because I felt it was too much overload. However, I have no doubt if I stuck with it I would have been in true athletic shape- (I mean like Michale Phelps condition).

I basically need a routine that will be gradual, but extremely effective. Suggestions?
Carivan
Carivan
Canada
2009/05/23, 11:02 PM
Pick an activity that you like IE: Swimming, jogging, cycling, elipticle machine, stairs, rowing or all of them if you have access, there are many, and start interval training.

--------------
Patience, persistence and perspiration make an unbeatable combination for success.

Ivan (GO HABS GO!)

Montreal Canada (City of Festivals)