Group: Competitive Bodybuilding & Fitness

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 21, Messages: 5367

Discuss the process of preparing for a competition on the sport of body building, fitness and more!

Join group

how much weight should you lift?

maverick19
maverick19
United States
2005/01/20, 01:42 AM
Free trainers says what exercise and how many reps you should do to lose weight and to define your muscles but they dont tell you how much weight? Do you want to lift hardly anything? I heard if you want to have your muscles defined than you lift light and do lots of reps? What should I do?:dumbbell:
dermil
dermil
United States
2005/01/20, 02:01 AM
If I am not mistaken...which I could be, you should lift enough weight for the amount of repititions they give you to fatigue your muscles. I wait about two minutes between sets, then work the second, third, etc. If you have not lifted in a while, I highly suggest you take it easy the first week or 2. Good luck!
7707mutt
7707mutt
United States
2005/01/20, 06:37 AM
Maverick the reason why it does not tell you the weight to use is that each of us can lift different weights. Pick a weight that is light, even if it is very light and work thru the first set. Gauge your ability after that and make whatever adjustments you need to.

--------------
If you can itch your nose after arm day...do another set!

7707mutt@freetrainers.com
arondaballer
arondaballer
United States
2005/01/20, 07:46 PM
Picking your reps has a lot to do with your experience. Knowing your body and how many reps you can finish with a certain weight is vital, because you want it to be enough to challenge you and help you grow, but not too much or too little.

--------------
I firmly believe that any man's finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is the moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle-victorious.
--Vince Lombardi
"Decide what you want, decide what you are willing to exchange for it. Establish your priorities and go to work." H. L. Hunt