Group: General Fitness & Exercise

Created: 2011/12/31, Members: 377, Messages: 54577

Various general exercise related discussions. Find out what it takes to reach your fitness goals through daily effective exercise. With so many options we try to find out what works best.

Join group

How heavy is too heavy?

2015/10/14, 09:03 AM
How do i know how heavy i should be lifting on any given excersize to start out with?
Jac48
Jac48
United States
2015/10/18, 11:35 AM
It really depends on how much you can lift.  If you're new to lifting, I suggest on any given exercise find what you are comfortable lifing 3 - 4 sets of 10 - 12.  Where the last set and rep is not to failure but hard to complete.

I recenly started lifting after oh..about 5 years of being out of the gym.  And I was in the same spot.  I just started light and slowly worked my way up to a weight I was comfortable repping out 6, 8 or 10 times.  Spending a week or two findout what is comfortable for you will help you greatly, don't rush and avoid going to heavy...thats an easy way to get injured or use improper form.

Good Luck
Franco
Franco
United States
2015/10/19, 07:16 AM
Everything Jac48 said, and just remember... if you're asking this question, it means you're quite new to weight lifting.  It's safer to be on the light side than on the heavy side.  Start very light - even lifting something which is too easy is better than lifting nothing, so until you get into the groove, keep it light, slow, and very strict movement, always concentrating on the muscles which you're trying to train.

On the site here you can see the muscles being targeted by each exercise because they are marked as dark red.  Try to feel these muscles during the exercise and don't worry so much about the weight until you have a good idea of what you can and cannot do.