Group: Strength & Powerlifting

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 38, Messages: 16459

Discuss the topic of Power lifting, Strength training and Strong Man training!

Join group

How can I get ripped on a low budget?

russellk0431
russellk0431
Australia
2010/01/13, 03:08 AM
Ok so I can't afford a bench press or any expensive machines. So can I still get ripped without having heavy weights? i was looking at a sight that said your body weight is one of the most beneficial weights you can lift. But is body exercises and pushups, pull ups etc enough to get definite muscle growth?
Davetheman26
Davetheman26
United States
2010/01/13, 04:12 AM
Muscle growth and being so-called ripped are to different things... My opinion you have to have the muscle first to get ripped other wise your just skinny.. Sure I believe pushups, pull-ups and so on will build muscle.. I think you would have a more lean muscle look if you just stuck to this routine.. Using heavy weights with lower reps.. I believe will force your body to grow stronger thus getting bigger..as long a you progressively increase the weight of what you are lifting or pushing.. But with that you need a diet higher in calories for fuel... And then body fat will most likely increase also.. Meaning you won't be ripped.. Just massive and strong.. I say first get big..then get ripped.. I say use the cold months to get big,, then when it starts getting warm out start getting ripped for the summer..
7707mutt
7707mutt
United States
2010/01/13, 09:46 AM
getting ripped is more about diet than any thing. This might be better asked in the nutrition forum

--------------
FOR MY WIFE:
Her little ring was a little thing
but it was all that i could afford
now shes mine all mine
till the day i die
and i never wanted nothing more

7707mutt@freetrainers.com
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2010/01/14, 01:35 PM
Getting ripped can be accomplished at any weight. I have seen many skinny folks who are ripped, but actually look like hell.

To gain muscle, prohibitive weights must be used. That is heavier weights than you can normally handle, and as you get stronger keep upping the weight.

So, the answer is yes, you can get ripped with correct diet......however, will you gain muscle with just bodyweight exercises? Unfortunately, not much to speak of, at least nothing that will visually appeal to you if you are looking to increase in size.

--------------
Baseball is the only field of endeavor where a man can succeed three times out of ten and be considered a good performer

2010/01/22, 03:54 AM
www.rosstraining.com

check out his site, ross utilizes different methods, including mostly low tech options, like bodyweights, bands, etc....

-look for finding increasing exercise difficulty or ways to increase loading of bodyweight exercises
-look into unilateral exercises (pistols, one arm push ups/pull ups, etc)
-aim to train all aspects of the body (not just push ups and sit ups but also things like glute/ham, handstand push ups, various deep squat variations, etc)
-u can increase difficulty of bodyweight exercises like squats, dips, chins, etc with cheap options like backpack with sand/gravel/etc/
-start utilizing explosive/plyometric exercises

Looking ripped is also highly diet and low body fat dependent.
emerika000
emerika000
United States
2010/02/07, 09:34 AM
try a kettle bell..its awesome and affordable:)