Group: Beginners to Exercise

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 969, Messages: 18927

Share and offer advice to beginners to the fitness world!

Join group

high reps or heavy weights?

carl.rice
carl.rice
United States
2003/01/22, 09:46 AM
Its been my impression that increased reps (20 or so) helps tone and maxing out at lower reps with heavier weights will build muscle better. I don't want to change my weight, just re-allocate it a little. I'm just starting the intermediate workout after months of unstructured exercise. I typically add about 3 days of cardio, 20-30 min. My goal is to tone, lose a little fat and maybe build a little muscle, but mostly just overall good health. Am I in the right routine? Are my impressions about reps and weights right?

----------------------------
keep on trying
Arnold
Arnold
Canada
2003/01/22, 06:34 PM
You are on the right track.

Cardio and Diet and key in a toning / weight loss program. Weight training is a bonus with great benefits, keep the repetitions at 12-15 or even to 20.

Good Luck.

--------------
.o0 Arnold 0o...o0 theaustrianoak@hotmail.com 0o.
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2003/01/23, 05:37 PM
If I may add one thing,and it is pretty crucial, do not lower your weights apprecialbly. Always try to lift heavy as you can for your sets, you will be setting yourself up for muscle loss. There is a mistaken theory that when you start wanting to "tone", you should drop your weights and do more reps...wrong. Fast way to lose muscle size. That is more endurance training, and your body will adapt to it. Always strength train, if you can do 8-10 easily, increase the weight. You may rest shorter intervals between sets, and add cardio. And the biggie, you have to adjust your diet. This is the key to toning.

--------------
The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary!
carl.rice
carl.rice
United States
2003/01/24, 03:45 PM
Thanks. Thats what I was looking for.

============
Quoting from bb1fit:

If I may add one thing,and it is pretty crucial, do not lower your weights apprecialbly. Always try to lift heavy as you can for your sets, you will be setting yourself up for muscle loss. There is a mistaken theory that when you start wanting to "tone", you should drop your weights and do more reps...wrong. Fast way to lose muscle size. That is more endurance training, and your body will adapt to it. Always strength train, if you can do 8-10 easily, increase the weight. You may rest shorter intervals between sets, and add cardio. And the biggie, you have to adjust your diet. This is the key to toning.

=============