Group: Eating Disorders

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 33, Messages: 1316

Find the advice that you need by sharing and learning from others experiences. You're never alone.

Join group

Hi. My name is Johnny and I'm obese...

johnnyqwest
johnnyqwest
United States
2005/06/11, 12:03 AM
I've been overweight my entire life. A few times I lost enough to look good (in my opinion) but it never lasts long. The last time was back in 1994-95. I had a few friends that would make sure they took me to the gym a few times a week. I was also on a program from EAS that was working great for me. Since then my friends moved and EAS kept changing their products and I really didn't know what to take nor what exercises to do anymore. I've gained about 100lbs since then and growing. My line of work isn't very active so I get very little exercise. I don't think I eat very much, but at times I can eat all day long. I eat when happy or sad and the hunger doesn't seem to come from anything in specific. I try to start exercising and watching what I eat, but it seems in just a few days I get headaches so bad the only thing to take it away is to eat something. Once that happens it sends me into a downward spin that ends up in a binge for a week or so. I've tried all the diets Atkins, Zone, Master-Cleanser etc... I'm not sure how many other options I have. I was online today looking for some ideas (like what helped me in 95, which btw was the bast shape I was EVER in at 215lbs) and came across this site. I need help and I don't know how nor where to get it. I know there isn't just a simple solution, but maybe someone going thru the same thing might have some insight that can point me in the right direction. ?? Thanks in advance!
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2005/06/13, 01:15 AM
Forget "fad" diets of any type. A diet by any name in most cases is not a way of life. What you need is a lifestlye change. First off, don't think about reducing your calories. You do not have to be hungry, your first option is to change the QUALITY of the food you eat. Do it slowly, little things at a time. Too much at once and you will experience "withdrawal" symptoms such as you mentioned. Set yourself small goals, for instance cutting down your soda from 5 bottles per day to 2 and 1 diet.(don't know that you drink alot of soda, just trying to throw an example out there of how to cut things down with little "pain".)

Some simple movement like walking, gradually upping it to power walking as you improve, will greatly assist you(if you can do more, by all means do, but use the same principle as with the eating, a little at a time. Too much at once can become overwhelming, and you will quit). When you start to see positive changes, this leads to wanting to make more and bigger changes. Mentality and self confidence is a huge part of this.

Best of luck to you, will be watching for responses to assist you more.

--------------
If you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything....

bb1fit@freetrainers.com
johnnyqwest
johnnyqwest
United States
2005/06/22, 01:50 PM
Thanks for your ideas, it is very uplifting. Yesterday I started a new "way of life" plan. I'm eating fresh fruits in the morning and if I feel hunger coming on I may snack on a fruit. I dont like many fruit, but Mangos, bananas, oranges, grapes and cherrys seem to be my fav. At lunch I just have a simple salad or a vegi sub from subway with no cheese. After lunch I feel content and dont feel the need to eat. I drink lots of water during this time of the day. For dinner I had some vegis and a salmon steak. I am a big white sticky rice eater and it seems that I dont get full if I dont eat it, but I just ate more vegis to compensate. I'm going to start working out in our gym at work. Going to start slow, but I will keep you posted.

One more thing, I cant weigh myself because scales I have contact with dont go over 350lbs which I am over. I did sneak over to my jobs shipping dept and jumped on the shipping scale (up to 1000lbs), but I dont want to be seen doing that to often. Should I worry about weight or should I just go by inches for now?

Thanks!
2005/06/22, 02:07 PM
Scales are of little importance. Use your tape measure. Thats where you'll see meaningful change. Be sure you get enough protein. You may want to switch to brown rice...much more nutritious. Welcome here. Ask lots of questions and congratulations on your decision to change to a healthier lifestyle.

--------------
Sometimes life is as easy as herding cats.

Charlie
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2005/06/25, 05:31 PM
Charlie is right, and gives good information. Such as the brown rice and scales.

Don't worry about the scales. You will notice by the way your clothes fit, etc. Scales will drive one crazy, fluctuating water weight for instance.

Start slow, and please keep us posted of your progress. I will be looking at this thread as I can and more than willing to help.

--------------
If you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything....

bb1fit@freetrainers.com
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2005/06/30, 09:52 PM
Also - you may want some protein along with all of that fruit. it will help you lose fat/keep muscle.
Good luck!

--------------
It\'s easier to go down a hill than up it but the view is much better at the top.
-Henry Ward Beecher
sivysivy
sivysivy
United States
2005/07/24, 02:39 AM
Good luck!
Soldierbone
Soldierbone
United States
2005/07/24, 07:06 PM
Listen to all that has been said above... they know what they are talking about. Make changes slowly; changes will come faster at the begining, but don't ever give up.
I was once 310 lbs., and I have vowed never to go back. I have completely changed the way I eat, and I workout almost every day.
I no longer drink sodas of any kind, and I use to drink them every day. I eat between 4-6 meals a day, depending on how busy I am. A meal for me would consist of at least 3 food groups, and be no bigger than the size of both my fists. I eat between 1500 and 3000 calories daily, and I am never hungry. Another thing that is very important... make sure you are getting enough water.
When I started walking, I couldn't even go 1/4 mile. Now, 1 1/2 years later, I now can easily go 7 miles... and I am starting to jog a little too. I want to exercise.
Don't let anyone get you down, or get in your way.

Chris