Group: Health & Fitness over 40

Created: 2011/12/31, Members: 206, Messages: 2480

Group dedicated to men and women over the age of 40 that care about their health and want to take the fitness and nutrition down the right path.

Join group

Hi. I'm 41 and new here.

opal37
opal37
United States
2003/01/09, 09:34 AM
I just signed up today, and won't start my workouts, etc.. until monday. I think it's great that there is a site like this that's free to make new friends who are interested in the same type of goals as I am. I don't understand though, why I am having such a hard time these days getting motivated. Anyone else have that problem?
mikencharleston
mikencharleston
United States
2003/01/09, 10:35 AM
Welcome opal and like you said, the price can't be beat. The people on here can help you a small bit with the motivation but in the end, the real motivator has to be you. This site and the people who frequent it are about the best I've come across so feel free to jump in and ask or offer whatever you want.
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2003/01/09, 10:51 AM
Welcome opal37. We are glad you are with us. Motivation is key, and as mike put it, in the end it will have to come from you. But we can help. Freindly people, great info. Probably the best motivation is if you have a freind who wants to do the same thing. When one of you don't feel like it, the other pushes you to. Freindly competition. Self motivation can come in the form of carrying around a picture of you at a stage you hated. Every time you feel like you just don't want to go to the gym or eating those twinkies, pull it out and look at it, think do I want to look like this? Best of luck to you, and glad again to have you with us.

--------------
The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary!
Carivan
Carivan
Canada
2003/01/09, 04:36 PM
Welcome to the community opal37. Like the other boys said, "You came to the right place".
Motivation is a start, but habit keeps it going.
If you stick to it, and eat right , you will be ok!
Have fun and good Luck.

--------------
The trouble with jogging is that, by the time you realize you are not in shape for it, it is too far to walk back! Franklin P. Jones

Ivan Montreal Canada
INTRUDER
INTRUDER
United States
2003/01/15, 03:41 PM
Welcome aboard;
The motivation thing is just a game. It just takes awhile to get into it your own way.
Try thinking about the results after the work-out and not the pain during the work-out

--------------
"Get everthing you want--just make a little change now"
chickadee176
chickadee176
Canada
2003/10/29, 10:46 AM
Hi Im 48 and just signed up. I was doing a strict workout regiment for 3 years,but am having a hard time getting back into it. As a resust have gained 20 lbs back,which I really would like to lose. I have heard of this new product biofirm
for your abs. It was in my health food magazine Alive. Has anybody heard of it or used it.
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2003/10/29, 11:59 AM
First off, welcome to our boards. Glad to have you. Now, how did you gain your weight? Did you use the antagonist of Biofirm? I bet you gained it from stopping training and eating a good diet. You will lose it the same way. Advertising is for "chumps", check the magazines, T.V., radio, there are tons of these theings out there, if they worked, why are people still so fat? The only thing they make lighter is your pocketbook. Go to what you yourself stated worked. This in the end is what works. Not some "miracle" fat loss supplement. There are so many of those companies in court now.

============
Quoting from chickadee176:

Hi Im 48 and just signed up. I was doing a strict workout regiment for 3 years,but am having a hard time getting back into it. As a resust have gained 20 lbs back,which I really would like to lose. I have heard of this new product biofirm
for your abs. It was in my health food magazine Alive. Has anybody heard of it or used it.
=============

--------------
Great people never want it easier, they just want to be better!
Ron
azredhead57
azredhead57
United States
2003/10/29, 03:56 PM
Welcome chickadee. You will find everything you need, right here on FT, and very little in product advertisements. Good luck.

--------------
~Victoria~
...There are no shortcuts to any place worth going.--Beverly Sills
chickadee176
chickadee176
Canada
2003/10/30, 12:45 PM
Hello everyone
I have a question, should you eat before you do a cardio workout.
Carivan
Carivan
Canada
2003/10/30, 11:08 PM
Best to do cardio on an empty stomach, that way your body is burning its calories from stored fuels (carbs & fats). Not from the calories just previously consumed.

--------------
"A will finds a way"
Ivan Montreal Canada
gatormade
gatormade
United States
2004/01/16, 07:09 AM
You should never exercise on an empty stomach. Eat a piece of fruit or something that won't upset your stomach 60-90 minutes prior. It should be small. Try to eat a meal 2-4 hours prior. Depends on your stomach. I try to eat 2 hours prior. I keep it light and small. A good meal prior to exercise for me is a pasta and a chicken breast. I take 3/4 cup of dry pasta and cook it. Grill the chiken and then cube it. Then I toss that chicken into my pasta, add a table spoon of my favorite sauce, and I feel great when I train.
gatormade
gatormade
United States
2004/01/16, 07:10 AM
If you exercise on an empty stomach, you risk getting light headed and sluggish. If you want to perform like a Jaguar, you have to fuel like one.
agamble
agamble
United States
2004/01/16, 12:40 PM
That eliminates me from doing cardio in the mornings. There is no way I can get up at 3:30 so I can eat prior to my workout prior to going to work. If I was looking for an excuse, I just found it. Thanks.
Carivan
Carivan
Canada
2004/01/16, 04:37 PM
Well I guess I'm with you agamble. I have to stop some of my running!

--------------
"A will finds a way"
Ivan Montreal Canada
2004/01/21, 10:18 AM
Opal and Chickadee, welcome to FT. As you can see fitness is a messy process. Read whats here . Find what works for you and stick with it. I think everybody agrees that this is an inexpensive, healthy and satisfying proposition.

--------------
Living well is the best revenge.

Charlie
approbatis
approbatis
United Kingdom
2004/05/19, 06:21 PM
hi opal
yes i am the same 43 cant get motavated
but since reading 100s of postings and seeing diffrent ages and the stories from each person it has inspired me to
get off my butt and do the same as every one else knowing there is so many peeps striving for the same goal as me
i thought i was the only one out there WRONG so now i am on a mission sort of speak
if you need any one to give you a nudge/support at any time give us a shout i need as much as poss as my kids and hubby all say your weight nowt wrong with it wrong i am at least 5st over weight and i am going to do a terrifying thing on monday i am going swimming i really am scared if that dont sound stuppid but the thought of been stared at and whisperd about terrifies me
but i know i have to do it
good luck hun with it all as i say if you need any extra support i'm here
Woodie
Woodie
United States
2004/05/20, 10:21 AM
People who stare and whisper are just tring to make themselves feel better about themselves. They have some issues that they need to work on and you should feel sorry and pitty for them. I'm not tring to be funny. these people are in need of something in thier lives that can make them feel better with out cutting someone else down

--------------
Woodie.
approbatis
approbatis
United Kingdom
2004/05/20, 11:57 AM
cheers for that woodie
i do believe you are right
i was on the net until 4 this morning with a friend of mine who must weigh about 8 1/2 stone wet through
she wanted to come swimming with me as she says they are sad peeps if they have to stare and agreed with what you have said
it is so nice to have support from peeps its made me want to do this more than ever so i will be going on monday
thanks for your comments mean a lot just knowing peeps are rooting for me and gives off loads of possative vibes
thanxs again will let you know how it goes c,u bye
Woodie
Woodie
United States
2004/05/20, 12:46 PM
From your chioce of words I'd say your in Britain, approbatis? So whats a peep?

--------------
Woodie.
2004/05/20, 12:57 PM
Feeling sorry for them is fine. Its more fun to outlift aomeone half your age. Probably not as healthy as saying a prayer for them but infinitly more satisfying to silence them with a good lift.

============
Quoting from Woodie:

People who stare and whisper are just tring to make themselves feel better about themselves. They have some issues that they need to work on and you should feel sorry and pitty for them. I'm not tring to be funny. these people are in need of something in thier lives that can make them feel better with out cutting someone else down

=============

--------------
Foolish consistancies are the hobgoblins of small minds.

Charlie
2004/05/20, 01:00 PM
Welcome here approbatis. This is a great place to put together the tools you need to create a healthy permanent lifestyle. Stick around.

--------------
Foolish consistancies are the hobgoblins of small minds.

Charlie