Group: Beginners to Exercise

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 968, Messages: 18927

Share and offer advice to beginners to the fitness world!

Join group

Help with dual workout please

jeremygardiner
jeremygardiner
New Zealand
2012/05/04, 05:50 PM
Hi.
My wife and I are both going to gym now and I was wondering if this following plan was good for both of us so we can workout and motivate each other together.

Weights depend on person

Monday. Wednesday. Friday.
Dumbbell squat. 3 sets of 10
Dumbbell walking lunges. 3 sets of 10
Dumbbell bench press. 3 sets of 10
Dumbbell curls. 3 sets of 10
Assisted pull ups. 3 sets of 10
Pushups. As many as possible
Tricep push downs 3 sets of 10
Leg curls. 3 sets of 10
Plank. 3 sets of 1 min
Weighted Situps. 3 sets of 10
Bicycle sit ups. 3 sets of 10

I also do barbell bench press. 3 sets of 10.

Is there too many excerises for 1 muscle type or is everything look ok.
Feedback is very welcome.

Thanks in advance
2012/05/04, 07:43 PM
Spouses working out together depends on the spouses. You may want to look at the full body workout under the exercise heading here on the sight. It may be more balanced than the one you posted. FWIW my wife and I have worked out together off and on. I like to concentrate. I don't want chit chat. I have to count.  I have to breathe. In short, the gym isn't a team sport for me. It may be fine for you.
cnacedo
cnacedo
United States
2012/05/04, 07:59 PM
I typically go with my fiance. We usually end up going our seperate ways though.. my leg day is pretty different than his. But when we do work out together I do the same exercises, but I pick a weight what I can do 12-15 reps of for 3 sets. I want to tone up not bulk up. But when we workout together it is good to have a spotter for both of us. Sometimes he has to count for me so I remember to breathe. And the support is good for him so he doesn't quit too soon. Good luck!
2012/05/04, 08:25 PM
Sounds like a plan kiddo. Go for it.
jeremygardiner
jeremygardiner
New Zealand
2012/05/04, 10:52 PM
@chariemv. Thanks for your info. Yeah we don't seem to talk that much unless resting but I have timer for that. ATM she stands with me and does the same excerises and it's good. This plan is the next step after the first pt workout.
Heres hoping it goes well but I will checkout the plans on site. Thanks heaps. :).

@ Cnacedo
Yeah she's on lower weights as she can't lift as much as me but also she wants to tone and I bulk up some. Agreed with the helping tho cos I'm always telling her to breath. Maybe I should count for her too. I was thinking this type of workout (full body 3 days. Cardio other days). So we can do the same workout. So we can spend more time together since I'm on shift work.
Thanks for your advice also. :)
2012/05/04, 11:48 PM
I'm older than dirt and married 32 years. I swim 5 or 6 miles and I swim by the boat and retrieve my wife for the last mile or two. She lifts in the AM and cooks and drinks a little wine at night. Her workout shows are Martha Stuart and Lucinda Scala Quinn and other cooking shows. I work out to music shows---Glee, Idol, Sing Off etc. I play them over and over. Our den is our gym. We have 816 lbs of dumbbells and a bench. I'll be adding a pair of 80s by the end of summer. We do walk together but it's pathetic, we both wear phones and play iPods. When we canoe we do talk but that's our winter sport and the wind usually turns it into a survival exercise.We always seem to reach the halfway point in calm water and then the damn wind whips up white caps and we have to dig for our lives to get home.

This is our boat and canoe. My caption is"the S.O.B. was following too close and I hit the brakes" She deals with 3 foot choppy whitewater very well.

jeremygardiner
jeremygardiner
New Zealand
2012/05/04, 11:59 PM
cool you have a lovely sounding wife. , if you are as old as you say you are into a lot of younger things. I'm happy that you have been together for that long. that is my goal. A lifetime with the one I love, and i'm just trying to do stuff together (as well as apart) so we can spend time together.

nice boat, we dont really go out on the water unless it is to fish with friends. we dont own a boat.
2012/05/05, 12:02 AM (Edited: @ft@d_124774 - 2012/05/05, 12:14 AM)
I'm 59  bro. More photos in my profile...
cnacedo
cnacedo
United States
2012/05/05, 01:33 PM
I think that is a great idea to spend more time together! Him counting for me works great! You should offer =]

Much luck!