Group: Strength & Powerlifting

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 39, Messages: 16459

Discuss the topic of Power lifting, Strength training and Strong Man training!

Join group

Heavy lifting for fat loss?

7707mutt
7707mutt
United States
2003/06/27, 10:19 AM
Not sure if this is right forum but here goes. As most here know I am on a mission to drop 15% bf. I have tried for 6 years to get it down. I went up and down up and down well you know what I mean. I was under the impression that to loose fat I needed to go with high reps/low weights. So I did that for years. Of course got no where. Now this maybe just my body, but in jan of this year I started to really add weight to each and every exercise. I will admit on some the form did suffer a little (actually not very much till last set last rep or 2 only). Since then i have lost about 5-6 inches from my waist, and have seen vast improvements in terms of definiton and veins all oever peeking out. So my question is this....what really is best..I feel that a rep range of 6-10 and as heavy as i can go is really burning more bf than the 12-15reps I was doing. Am I a freak or do others see this as well?

--------------
Squats are really a very good thing, but in my world, Deadlifts are King!!!!!!!!
tenorsaxmandave
tenorsaxmandave
United States
2003/06/27, 10:32 AM
Mutt - You are a freak!lol

I think changing weights and rep ranges around gives people a good mix (weight loss and muscle building). Also, I'm learning that rest times (or not) between sets has a great deal to do with results. You've found a good mix that seems to be working well for you. I still believe that there is no magic formula for every person. Experimentation and fine tuning I think are the keys to long term success. Plus keeping an open mind. My 2 cents.

TSMD
JessicaR
JessicaR
United States
2003/06/27, 11:26 AM
I think anything that increases your lean mass is going to burn fat in the long run. I have definitely gotten better results from lifting heavy (as heavy as I can, anyway). Also I agree w/ Dave, changing the routine always works too.
2003/06/27, 11:39 AM
I know that I have a tendency to go too light when I lift higher reps. I end up not going to failure as I would with a heavy, low rep lift, and I know I don't get as much out of it. I've starting going to failure on my higher rep routines, and I've noticed a lot better results. Still, there's no feeling like throwing that heavy weight around.

--------------
OSU Law Rugby....specializing in personal injury and pain & suffering.
azredhead57
azredhead57
United States
2003/06/27, 02:12 PM
I think at one time or another most of us have fallen into that lower weight/higher reps = weight loss rut. I did lose a few pounds, but I don't think it did nearly as much for my metabolism and fat loss as heavy weight/low reps has. And of course, constantly changing it around always helps.

--------------
~Victoria~
...There are no shortcuts to any place worth going.--Beverly Sills
fireloard
fireloard
United States
2003/06/28, 08:21 PM
Just a guess but maybe your gaining muscle which in the end would help you burn more fat because it takes more calories for your body to maintain muscle. Although i'm not trying to say gaining muscle = losing fat. Really to get cut its your diet which I thought you would have worked out already. Try something close to the zone diet of 30/30/40 P/F/C while maybe doing a little cardio 3 or 4 times a week.. maybe even HIIT. I don't know if you tried something like this before but i've seen it work for others so I do have some faith in it. What does your diet look like anyway mutt.. I think I remember in a thread once long ago you said you were taking protien shakes too?
plfitness
plfitness
United States
2003/06/28, 11:09 PM
Personally I fell the whole theory behind high rep training for definition is seriously flawed. High rep training builds muscular endurance & vascularity(referring to increased blood flow & enhanced cappilary functions, not appearance of veins). Only burning more calories than consumed will bring upon the definition much of us so desire. In addition, since a negative caloric balance is counterproductive to increasing muscle size , where's the motivation in training with higher reps anyway? I have found that consistant gains in strength can be made while on a restricted calorie diet as long as adequate calories are taken in prior to exercise & adequate recovery time is allowed. Getting stronger & leaner at the same time? It doesn't get any better than that!

--------------
\\"Knowledge & persistence is all one needs to succeed\"\
---Patrick L.
richardjst
richardjst
United States
2003/06/28, 11:47 PM
Either way...Good Job on lowering the bf, a goal all of us deep fat fried hicks wish to do.

--------------
Diet- Only take what you need...There is no fine line between want and need, there is the whole continent of South America.~Dick
pleyroy
pleyroy
Canada
2003/06/29, 04:38 AM
Heavy!! It's the only way...well, for me at least, it only took 1 and a half years to go from a pudgy 14 year old to a cut 16 year old. I ran for an hour on hilly terrian (!) then would bust my ass for another hour with a few ancient bars my friend had lying around, every second day at 1 pm. I've almost reached my bf goals and read some posts here, so cardio is either afterwards or on a different day. Now is time to make some explosive muscle gains and propel myself beyond my ex-friends who thought they could just stop letting me hang out there and ultimately stop me from working out.

--------------
My family thinks I'm on steroids... :D
7707mutt
7707mutt
United States
2003/06/30, 09:18 AM
No fireloard I do not take shakes just real food. I eat clean all week and then let it go a little on the weekends. I have been planning on adding a good amount of cardio to my workout but well seem to keep getting hurt last month was a sprained left ankle, last night I got the right one sprained a little so we will see if it is a problem. I was asking mainly to see if others had ahd simialr experiences, or if it was just me.

--------------
Squats are really a very good thing, but in my world, Deadlifts are King!!!!!!!!
ACT3
ACT3
United States
2003/07/11, 02:24 PM
Heres the way I do it...
I lift heavy usually about 8-10 reps X4 (usually cant finish the last rep) on everything but calfs and back. If you work that hard in a circiut training fashion, you really breath heavy. After that, do a little cardio (I do Raquettball personally and HIIT). So, that way, your building muscle and getting your cardiovascular in. But lifting heavy is essential to muscle growth, and more muscles = less fat in the long run
bigandrew
bigandrew
United States
2003/09/19, 02:31 PM
hay man when i look at ur pic. u look liek the brothe ri never had lol.......i'm about 6'1"240lbs and i have the same basic shape u do....wide and big everything.....but call me crazy but 15 through 8 reps work best for me i went from 21 % body fat ( at 223lbs) to 17 % at 230lbs...now i'm 245 and about 18 or so . every where i go its different....i go up and down up and down......i tried cardio but i found that mad eme over train easly.......so what i did is super set ever excersise with another and did my work out as fast and with out rest as possible....heres what i do.....do a major mass builder ex. bench press keep reps around 12-6 after u do a set go do a set of cable cross overs for a set of 15......this way ur gettingmass routine ... with a lil bit of one to help u get cut.....do this with anything but don't do somthing liek squates and deadlifts thats to much to handle

i suggest ....bench press:::cable cross overs
incline bench presses:::incline flys
any millitary press::side raises or front raises squates::::lunges, leg extensions and leg curls
when u do the core left(squates, benching, milatary etc) do them with lots of weight and focause on moving the bar as fast as u can( controlled though) on the lighter excercise focaus on the musscle and the " squeeze" steady but not to fast....i did this this sumer and gained almost 15 lbs and my body fat only went up like barly 1 or 2 percent but i can work that off in the winter time i though it was worth it....but all u can do is trial and error