Group: Beginners to Exercise

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 968, Messages: 18927

Share and offer advice to beginners to the fitness world!

Join group

Gym or Cardio Program?

sailor2trooper
sailor2trooper
United States
2020/06/18, 09:07 PM
Hi everyone. Sorry in advance for the lengthy post. Please bear with me. I am trying to become a state trooper. The link I am listing is the obstacle course we must pass. However, unlike the video (which is geared towards those first trying out), when we are actually in the academy we get 3 minutes and 30 seconds instead of 4 minutes and cannot skip an event. The academy has a lot more physical challenges than just the obstacle course, though I do not know all of them. I know off the bat I am weak at running, pullups (probably biggest weakness since I cannot do even 1 right now), pushups and I need to lose weight. I have 2.5 months to get ready, after which I will have 2 weeks to rest before the academy. The way this website is structured makes it seem like I have to choose between the cardio plan or the gym plan. What I need is a workout that works on improving both. How can I use this site to structure such a workout?
i.am.mrs.olney
i.am.mrs.olney
United States
2020/06/22, 05:44 PM (Edited: i.am.mrs.olney - 2020/06/22, 05:45 PM)
Both. I was at my most fit when I lifted weights and followed that with at least 15 minutes of cardio and a recovery shake. I used the gym plan from Free Trainers, then just added my own cardio. At the time, all I had was canned food for weights and a treadmill that wasn't electric - my movement moved the belt LOL. 

It is usually suggested that you do weights before cardio, because if you wear yourself out doing cardio your form could suffer when you do weights. So keep that in mind. 

You could also add a HIIT a few times a week. I wouldn't do more than maybe twice a week starting out. With HIIT (high intensity interval training), you are trying to max yourself out. There are a lot of free HIIT videos on YouTube. 

Good luck with your journey!
Jac48
Jac48
United States
2020/06/24, 02:47 PM
If you have the time I personally suggest doing cardio on your off days.  Say lift 3 days per week example; M/W/F and then add Cardio on T/R/S and take Sunday as a rest day.  If you are pressed for time then what olney suggests above, Cardio after you lift is ideal.

Good Luck with your training and hope you pass the required tests.

Don't go too hard if this is new to you.  An Injury would certianly halt things, so ease into whatever you plan on doing and always listen to your body.
sailor2trooper
sailor2trooper
United States
2020/06/25, 12:43 AM
Jac48
If you have the time I personally suggest doing cardio on your off days.  Say lift 3 days per week example; M/W/F and then add Cardio on T/R/S and take Sunday as a rest day.  If you are pressed for time then what olney suggests above, Cardio after you lift is ideal.

Good Luck with your training and hope you pass the required tests.

Don't go too hard if this is new to you.  An Injury would certianly halt things, so ease into whatever you plan on doing and always listen to your body.

---Thanks Jac. I'm not exactly new to working out, but I have not done so since leaving the Navy. Even then I was young so I never had to put effort into my fitness so I never worked out outside military PT. For me I think the weights will be easier than the cardio.
Jac48
Jac48
United States
2020/06/26, 03:07 PM
I hear ya!!  I personally prefer weight lifting and can do it and enjoy...unless I'm having a lousy day.  Cardio for me is such a challenge, even watching netflix or listening to some good music on the Treamill....I like to refer to as the Dreadmill.