Group: Competitive Bodybuilding & Fitness

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 21, Messages: 5367

Discuss the process of preparing for a competition on the sport of body building, fitness and more!

Join group

GLYCEMIX INDEX HELP!!!! CONFUSED!

2006/01/17, 12:10 AM
Today i read 3 different books about the glycemic index, and NEED CLARIFICATION?

1. one book says to use ONLY low gi foods even after lifting and

2. 2 other books say to spike your insulin after working out with high glycemic index foods,

so which is it?

do you stick to only low gi foods even after lifting,

or use high GI foods after lifting to spike the blood sugar?
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2006/01/17, 09:31 AM
generally you want to replenish your glucose, etc, after lifting, that is by having some fast-absorbing carbs and protein. The carbs would be high GI, if you want to really get them in fast you use malto-dextrin and dextrose (look for carb-gainer powders).

The glcemic index can be useful, but also a little misleading if you are a lifter. You want to have some fast carbs after lifting and stick to mostly fibrous carbs, a few starchy, like oats and sweet potatos the rest of the time.

--------------
I know of no more encouraging fact than the unquestionable ability of man to elevate his life by a conscious endeavor.
- Henry David Thoreau

bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2006/01/17, 12:39 PM
A strategically placed insulin spike is much different than abusing insulin with constant bad food choices.

Don't get too hung up on GI anyway, it is dubious at best. Witness a bag of M&M's is lower on the GI scale than canned pinto beans. Which do you feel would be more beneficial to your diet?

Glycemic load is much more useful. Remember, GI is for one food. When you eat a variety of foods with a meal(who doesn't?), this totally kicks GI out the window.

--------------
Strength and Honor!
2006/01/17, 01:02 PM
thanks guys/gals

that was my next question :

which should i look at more the gi index or GL? because i have read that the load matters more than the INDEX right?

where can i find a Glycemic Load listing?
2006/01/17, 01:03 PM
thanks guys/gals

that was my next question :

which should i look at more the gi index or GL? because i have read that the load matters more than the INDEX right?

where can i find a Glycemic Load listing?
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2006/01/17, 01:13 PM
The glycemic load of a food is calculated by multiplying the glycemic index by the amount of carbohydrate in grams provided by a food and dividing the total by 100.

Don't forget II(insulin index)when it comes down to it, blood insulin levels are more important to moderate than glucose levels.

This is a good site...http://www.mendosa.com/gilists.htm

--------------
Strength and Honor!
2006/01/17, 01:25 PM
cool thanks everyone!

much appreciated.

boy i was confused but now i got it!