Group: Experienced Exercise

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 50, Messages: 19484

For intermediate and advanced individuals. Share and learn how to take your fitness to the next level!

Join group

Get a peek in

dogfather
dogfather
United States
2006/02/13, 08:46 AM
Hey,
Just wondering how common it is to get sore tri's during Dumbell Pull Overs......... I'm trying to hit the lower pecs(amongst other ways).

cheers.
2006/02/13, 09:39 AM
Are you straightening your elbows at the end of the movement instead of keeping them fixed and slightly bent throughout?

Better question would be why are you doing this exercise....instead of something more effective like bench, dips, flyes...i'd say even a weighted push up is better....

dogfather
dogfather
United States
2006/02/13, 09:54 AM
I'm doing all of the exercises you mentioned, some with decline too. I wasn't sure whether people would assume I'm a halfwit just because I asked a question, so that's why i said "amongst other exercises". Come on man who goes into the gym and does one exercise only.........??

Yeah I'm maintaining same bend throughout.

============
Quoting from menace3000:

Are you straightening your elbows at the end of the movement instead of keeping them fixed and slightly bent throughout?

Better question would be why are you doing this exercise....instead of something more effective like bench, dips, flyes...i'd say even a weighted push up is better....

=============
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2006/02/13, 10:24 AM
I haven't experienced tricep soreness with the pullovers, that is odd. I do like pull overs for the variety it can add to your chest/back routine. Really focus on pulling your pecs into the middle of your chest, and feel your lats contracting to bring your arms forward.

I do get sore triceps doing straight-arm lat press-downs (standing), and that is a sort of standing db pull-over movement, if you think about it. I would guess you are just recruiting any muscle you can for assistance and the smaller ones will complain first?

--------------
Never, never, never, never give up.
- Winston Churchill
sstump1
sstump1
United States
2006/02/14, 08:53 AM
Sounds like you need to drop the amount of weight and focus on where you're hitting...rather then as asimmer said incorporating unnecessary muscles into the exercise
2006/02/14, 03:25 PM
Dofather you misinterpretted what I said, no one thinks you're halfwit or thinks you do one exercise for your chest, my point was that I think there are better exercises to choose from than pullovers. I suggest incline db flyes. They will do wonders for your pecs. Go fairly heavy at 6-10 reps. Use a spotter when it gets heavy, use good form, and make sure you're pressing evening and going down same depth with both arms. Incline Bench and Flat Bench are also great exercises. I would just increase the volume with these exercises rather than do pullovers...but that's just me and my usual 2 cents...lol
2006/02/14, 03:26 PM
you're pressing evenly*
dogfather
dogfather
United States
2006/02/16, 03:37 PM

============
Quoting from sstump1:

Sounds like you need to drop the amount of weight and focus on where you're hitting...rather then as asimmer said incorporating unnecessary muscles into the exercise
=============

I can't feel it at all in the pecs with lower weight. I barely feel it in the pecs at the current weight.
dogfather
dogfather
United States
2006/02/16, 03:43 PM

============
Quoting from menace3000:

Dofather you misinterpretted what I said, no one thinks you're halfwit or thinks you do one exercise for your chest, my point was that I think there are better exercises to choose from than pullovers. I suggest incline db flyes. They will do wonders for your pecs. Go fairly heavy at 6-10 reps. Use a spotter when it gets heavy, use good form, and make sure you're pressing evening and going down same depth with both arms. Incline Bench and Flat Bench are also great exercises. I would just increase the volume with these exercises rather than do pullovers...but that's just me and my usual 2 cents...lol
=============
Cheers I'm doing incline flys("flies"? :o)) too. Would decline flys hit the lower pec well? I hear that and was considering trying it.

============
Quoting from asimmer:

I haven't experienced tricep soreness with the pullovers, that is odd. I do like pull overs for the variety it can add to your chest/back routine. Really focus on pulling your pecs into the middle of your chest, and feel your lats contracting to bring your arms forward.

I do get sore triceps doing straight-arm lat press-downs (standing), and that is a sort of standing db pull-over movement, if you think about it. I would guess you are just recruiting any muscle you can for assistance and the smaller ones will complain first?

Well I thought I had decent tri strength but I guess the wouldn't be getting tired if it was so. I'm not knackering them in any other exercise previous to this...
Cheers for the tips I shall implement them.
2006/02/16, 09:53 PM
Decline Bench Press might be good also....but I made a lot of progress with incline flyes...and yes that's how word 'flyes' is spelled.