Group: Women's Club

Created: 2011/12/31, Members: 525, Messages: 10844

A place for women to gather and share experiences, advice and information amongst themselves.

Join group

gas with protein shake

MLSTAMOUR
MLSTAMOUR
United States
2003/08/07, 05:08 AM
Hi Ladies!!
I know it's a gross subject but I have to know....Am I the only one who gets gassy after drinking a protein shake??? I've tried to drink it slower and that helped a little. Also, does anyone know how much protein a woman needs a day if she lifts 3x a week??? Thanks!!
JessicaR
JessicaR
United States
2003/08/07, 10:33 AM
You might try a different brand, or you may be intolerant to the whey (or soy, whichever you're using). Or your body may just need some time to adjust to changes in your diet. If it gets aggravating try playing around w/ the type of protein you're using and see if it gets any better. I shoot for a gram, gram and a half a day per lb of lean mass; I usually fall short of that but I think that's a pretty generous allowance so as long as I aim high I figure I'm okay. If you don't know your lean mass, you can go by your overall body weight.
liesbeneath
liesbeneath
United States
2003/08/07, 01:43 PM
a protein shake in itself is hard to digest. think about it...you're not chewing it.
drinking it slowly will help but, i find that emptying out a couple of digestive enzyme capsules into my shake help a lot more. also, i'm sure someone makes protein that is partically pre digested...sounds gross but, really they just come with enzymes and acidophillus which is very benificial. hope this helps.
azredhead57
azredhead57
United States
2003/08/07, 04:04 PM
The pure whey is the worst for me as it is a dairy product and I have a tolerance problem. You will find several posts here about gas problems. It seems a high protein, fibrous carb diet causes excess gas in most of us, not just the protein drinks.

--------------
~Victoria~
...There are no shortcuts to any place worth going.--Beverly Sills
liesbeneath
liesbeneath
United States
2003/08/07, 04:11 PM
Fiber will definately cause it!
kirby00
kirby00
United States
2003/08/07, 06:18 PM
but isn't your body supposed to get used to eating an increased amount of fiber? *sigh*

mlstamour, i agree with the others that whey may not be the best option if you have a rough time with milk. i was just suggesting to my roommate that she try a soy based powder and even then start with just 1/2 a scoop until she's used to it.

i bought this one at trader joe's a few times that was really easy to digest and tasted good. it's called aria. i only tried the vanilla kind. doesn't have a ton of protein per scoop, but probably good for starting out.

like jessica said, i'd shoot for about a gram per lb. i find i have a hard time achieving that without protein powder...the % of my cals from fat then gets too high.

-kirby

ebabe1026
ebabe1026
United States
2003/08/19, 04:27 PM
Try replacing milk with Lactaid (brand of lactose free "milk"). It's helped me quite a bit & honestly tastes better than standard milk product & has same amount of vitamins, etc.,

--------------
You only get ONE body, take care of it and it'll take care of YOU!
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2003/08/20, 12:02 AM
In the case of a whey concentrate, if a person uses a lot of the supplement and takes it with water and consistently gets gas, bloat and upset stomach this suggests there’s a lot of lactose sugar in the product.

--------------
Great people never want it easier, they just want to be better!
Ron