Group: Experienced Exercise

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 50, Messages: 19484

For intermediate and advanced individuals. Share and learn how to take your fitness to the next level!

Join group

Gangster asking advice...... :)

gangstershoes
gangstershoes
United States
2007/01/26, 02:22 PM
Figured a new set of eyes on my routine might help to tweak it. Some small tidbits of knowledge about me:

I run shoulders on a separate day because if I try chest/shoulders/triceps then the second complex exercise isn't productive, because my triceps are spent.

I do a bench press low weight to burn out after my dumbbell presses for safety reasons because I rarely have a spotter.

Day 1 - Push

Dumbbell Press 80 lb (x) 10
Dumbbell Press 90 lb (x) 10
Dumbbell Press 100 lb (x) 7
Bench Press 135 lb (x) 10
Bench Press 155 lb (x) 10
Bench Press 135 lb (x) 10
Dumbbell Tricep Extension 30 lb (x) 10
Dumbbell Tricep Extension 35 lb (x) 10
Dumbbell Tricep Extension 40 lb (x) 10

Day 2 - Shoulders

Dumbbell Side Lateral Raise 25lb (x) 10
Dumbbell Front Lateral Raise 25lb (x) 10
Dumbbell Rearward Fly 20lb (x) 10 (not sure I like)
Dumbbell Side Lateral Raise 30lb (x) 10
Dumbbell Front Lateral Raise 30lb (x) 10
Dumbbell Side Lateral Raise 30lb (x) 6
Dumbbell Front Lateral Raise 30lb (x) 10
Cable Pull Rearward Fly 20lb (x) 10
Cable Pull Rearward Fly 20lb (x) 10

Day 3 - Pull

Dumbbell Upper back Row 70lb (x) 10
Dumbbell Upper back Row 80lb (x) 10
Dumbbell Upper back Row 90lb (x) 10
Pull Ups (tricep bar style) (x) 15
Pull Ups (shoulder width style) (x) 12
Pull Ups (tricep bar style) (x) 12
Dumbbell Curls strict form slow 55lb (x) 10
Dumbbell Curls strict form slow 60lb (x) 10
Dumbbell Curls strict form slow 65lb (x) 10

Day 4 - Legs Low for now, but stepping up 10lb/wk
because I'm just getting back into my leg routine again since I'm not running much in the 12 degree weather here. :)

Squat (shoulder width stance) 145lb (x) 10
Squat (shoulder width stance) 195lb (x) 10
Squat (shoulder width stance) 145lb (x) 10
Straight Leg Deadlift 145lb (x) 10
Straight Leg Deadlift 235lb (x) 10
Straight Leg Deadlift 285lb (x) 10
2007/01/26, 02:31 PM
I did not get past day 2. Why so many lateral raises and flies?? Do you do any over head pressing? Also you said you do not do shoulders on chest/tri day because your tris would be spent, but you are not working your tris with those shoulder exercises.

--------------
Courage is resistance to fear; mastery of fear - not absence of fear.
Mark Twain

bigandrew
bigandrew
United States
2007/01/26, 02:38 PM
why 10 reps on everything?
why so many laterals?

it looks like all fluff....and no "meat" to it. You need to have a "main coarse" lift that the others build upon.

why not put back/pull day after chest/push...take a day off then do shoulders?

--------------

Get your bicep curling, cut off shirt, matching workout outfit wearing,flexing in mirror "toned" wanna-be ass , out of my squat rack!

Don't talk to me, only thing that should be moving is the bar.
gangstershoes
gangstershoes
United States
2007/01/26, 02:55 PM
ka
Lateral raises on my shoulders hit all three heads enough to make them quite sore the next day.
I could combine day 1 and day 2 if I wanted to make a 3 days vs 4 day routine. Just don't like being in the gym any longer than 30-40 minutes.
ba
no particuliar reason for the 10 reps other than when I can easily do 10, I step up weight, and work from 7 reps back upto 10.
laterals because they seem to hit all three heads of my shoulders the most. Just judging by soreness the next day or two.
Do explain on the fluff to meat part. That is the reason for my routine being up. Alternate Exercises, etc.
The shifting of my shoulder day is cool, and definitely the benefit of having a new set of eyes.

Thanks guys
2007/01/26, 03:12 PM
As far as I am concered sore does not = effective. If you want to grow your shoulders then I would ditch the laterals and do heavy military or push presses. You can add in the iso if you want, but you will see much better results with the MP & PP. Just my two cents.

--------------
Mark Twain

jmknippel
jmknippel
United States
2007/01/26, 03:25 PM
I agree with Ka....
gangstershoes
gangstershoes
United States
2007/01/26, 03:38 PM
I agree that complexes are much better for growth, but my target for shoulders is to have them defined into the three heads rather than larger if that makes sense. Also I wanted to avoid hitting triceps twice a week. I've looked at a lot of routines lately and all of the push pulls seem to have about 6-9 sets of complex exercises with 3-6 sets of secondary exercises.
2007/01/26, 03:52 PM
Does it make sense - not really. Why not at least have a combination of both? Why wouldn't you want to do compound exercises that would benefit you more than iso ever will. What is wrong with hitting your tris more than once a week? Of course it is your call - good luck.

--------------
Mark Twain

gangstershoes
gangstershoes
United States
2007/01/26, 04:04 PM
No your right this link explains a mixture of both of our views.
http://www.abcbodybuilding.com/magazine/8weekstobiggershoulders2.htm
Given that I'll just have to shift Day 2 shoulders further back in the routine, and incorporate 6 sets of complex MP and PP to avoid over training my triceps.
Main reasoning for iso was to make my shoulders symetrical because my posterior deltoid doesn't match up to my anterior deltoid. (just getting picky now that I am almost where I want to be size wise)
Thanks for your advice, as always it helps to have a second set of eyes to point out things that have been overlooked.
I might try adjusting my range to 5-8 versus 7-10 as well and see where that goes. Have a good weekend everyone.
bigandrew
bigandrew
United States
2007/01/27, 02:42 AM
nice looking shoulders will come from diet....laterals are a "finishing move"

Unfortunally most bodybuilding sights or mags aren't for the normal joe. You'd be better off doing a military press, followed by some rear laterals....then some shrugs, or up right rows....

--------------

Get your bicep curling, cut off shirt, matching workout outfit wearing,flexing in mirror "toned" wanna-be ass , out of my squat rack!

bigandrew
bigandrew
United States
2007/01/27, 02:47 AM
there's no meat to the workout it all looks the same. It looks like one of those "get toned" in 10 weeks workouts you see in womens or mens fitness.....sorry no offense.

I think you need to do somthing more challanging than a lateral or 10 reps....

--------------

gangstershoes
gangstershoes
United States
2007/01/27, 03:40 PM
no offense taken. Do you have an example routine? I'm game for anything really. I've had good results with this type of routine in the past, but I always like to change things up, else I get bored.
SFGiantsMVP
SFGiantsMVP
United States
2007/01/27, 04:01 PM
1. Arnold Presses 5x5 or 4x6 or 3x8, Shrugs 5x5 or 4x6 or 3x8 and then Rear Lats 3x6 to 8
2. Mitatary Presses 5x5 or 4x6 or 3x8, Barbell Upright Rows 5x5 or 4x6 or 3x8 and then Rear Lats 3x6 to 8

This for me is done on Back day but once I'm doing weighted Pull- Ups I'll drop Cable Pull Downs and ad in 1 more shoulder and most likely a rotary cuff movement.

5 weeks on #1 and then 5 on #2 is where I'm at.

Doing all the iso stuff got me overtrained and weaked all my other lifts.

============
Quoting from gangstershoes:

no offense taken. Do you have an example routine? I'm game for anything really. I've had good results with this type of routine in the past, but I always like to change things up, else I get bored.
=============

--------------
Knock-Um Down & Keep-Um Down!
bigandrew
bigandrew
United States
2007/01/27, 05:13 PM
I always liked to warm up with up right rows...doing 12-8 reps....I always felt this helped me in my pressing.With a barbell but could be done with dbs if you wish. At the top hold for count of one.

I would stop at my chin, to keep more tension on the shoulders. I would hold then press. So its press, down, hold, press, down, hold press etc.

for shoulder 21's I start off with my weakest 1st. I do 7 rear laterals, then 7 side, then 7 front laterals.These are tougher than you think. Every set swap the order.

For shrugs I hold for a two count at top, using dbs.MAking sure I go ALL THE WAY DOWN. I try to strtch my arms to my knees, then ALL the way back up for a hold for two.

so ...

up right rows 12 10 8 ( add weight)
military press 10 8 5 5 10
cable shoulder 21's 3 sets
db shrugs 10 8 8 8

do this for 4 weeks.

--------------

bigandrew
bigandrew
United States
2007/01/27, 05:15 PM
for laterals, act like your dumping water out, wrist bent kind of.

--------------

Carivan
Carivan
Canada
2007/01/27, 08:06 PM
I would go with the Arnold presses and keep the Side lateral raises as a finisher with a lighter weight.

--------------
A little discipline at the table and at the gym might help reduce that belly!

Ivan

Montreal Canada (City of Festivals)
SFGiantsMVP
SFGiantsMVP
United States
2007/01/27, 09:16 PM
Arnolds are sweet I even super set Arnold Dumbbell Chest Presses into my Bench routine right now to help get over a strenght platuea and it's been working.

============
Quoting from carivan:

I would go with the Arnold presses and keep the Side lateral raises as a finisher with a lighter weight.

=============

--------------
Knock-Um Down & Keep-Um Down!
gangstershoes
gangstershoes
United States
2007/01/28, 05:32 PM
sweet, so lower the reps, shift Day 2 later in the week with some complex shoulder exercises. We will see how it goes for the next month or two.