Group: General Fitness & Exercise

Created: 2011/12/31, Members: 379, Messages: 54577

Various general exercise related discussions. Find out what it takes to reach your fitness goals through daily effective exercise. With so many options we try to find out what works best.

Join group

gains with 4day bulk, 2day cut w/ lowBF?

1NS4NITY
1NS4NITY
Canada
2009/09/12, 12:23 AM
Hi there everyone, this is my second post on free trainers. Any advice and opinion will be greatly appreciated. Thank you very much in advance.

A little about myself:
I am 173 lbs at 5'9 with 18% body fat.

My Bulk diet is 200+ grams of protein and 300+ grams of carbs

I am planning to Bulk 4 days, Thursday - Sunday
Do cardio 2 days, Either Monday and Tuesday or Tuesday and Wednesday. And Break one day either Mon or Wed.

My cardio diet consist of 200+ grams of protein and 125-150 grams of Carbs. And i do cardio in the AM with a pre and post workout shake + vitamin

So I was wondering if I could still get legitmate gains while keeping bodyfat absolutely minimal

I know alot of people would recommend doing one thing at a time, but considering my situation I don't think I can manage to do that. Sorry for not being clear about this.

So Thank you help, all answers,advice, and opinion will do of great help.

Regards,
1NS4NITY
ccaintcc
ccaintcc
United States
2009/10/20, 06:08 AM
Hey there, you and I have (almost) identical stats. I'm 5'9 170 lbs with 17% body fat.

I am skinny fat, so I don't know if I should bulk first, then cut.. or drop my bf (to maybe 12%) then bulk..

I like your regime.. Please let me know how it's working for you, cuz I'm always open to tryin out new things.. Thanks! - Chris
returnofplex
returnofplex
United States
2009/10/21, 01:07 PM
Okay here's the deal on what you're trying to do: It's like pulling a rope from two opposite sides. There isn't a way to gain appreciable mass without putting a little fat weight on in the process. In this process you'll actually be eating more calories than your body's "maintainence level". To keep the fat weight to a minimum, it's all about managing your calorie sources, and keeping your diet as clean as possible. That means not eating a bunch of empty carbs or foods high in saturated fat. You're looking at eating around 17-20 calories per pound of lean body mass per day. Also cardio should be kept to a bare bones minimum because it burns precious calories that should be going to repairing and rebuilding damaged muscle tissue.
The good news is that the fat you gain during a "bulk cycle" should come off fairly quickly, especially because of the addition of the new lean muscle mass, which can burn an extra 50+ calories a day per pound, for just existing on your body. Here you'll be eating below your maintainance level (10-12 calories per pound of body weight).
Trying to do both at once is a super slow process, and could lead to some serious discouragement.

============
Quoting from 1NS4nITY:

Hi there everyone, this is my second post on free trainers. Any advice and opinion will be greatly appreciated. Thank you very much in advance.

A little about myself:
I am 173 lbs at 5'9 with 18% body fat.

My Bulk diet is 200+ grams of protein and 300+ grams of carbs

I am planning to Bulk 4 days, Thursday - Sunday
Do cardio 2 days, Either Monday and Tuesday or Tuesday and Wednesday. And Break one day either Mon or Wed.

My cardio diet consist of 200+ grams of protein and 125-150 grams of Carbs. And i do cardio in the AM with a pre and post workout shake + vitamin

So I was wondering if I could still get legitmate gains while keeping bodyfat absolutely minimal

I know alot of people would recommend doing one thing at a time, but considering my situation I don't think I can manage to do that. Sorry for not being clear about this.

So Thank you help, all answers,advice, and opinion will do of great help.

Regards,
1NS4NITY
=============