Group: Experienced Exercise

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 50, Messages: 19484

For intermediate and advanced individuals. Share and learn how to take your fitness to the next level!

Join group

Gaining Strength BUT No Mass...

FilthyPL3B
FilthyPL3B
United Kingdom
2007/07/01, 09:24 AM
Okay, I'm (last time I weighed) 85kg, 6ft2 @~10% BF.

Now I was trying to drop my BF% and whack on a little size, but instead I am lifting heavier whilst maintaining LBM.

I assume it is my diet...but I am at a loss as to how to increase my LBM without getting that covering layer of fat on my midsection. I've worked extremely hard and am stronger for it, just not any bigger.

I have done many searches in fitbuddy about this but I didn't find anything specific. So any information and help would be appreciated.

I currently consume 2600 calories/day @ 40/40/20 P/C/F. On this diet I am STILL increasing in strength, just not in size.

--------------
If in doubt K.I.S.S.
FilthyPL3B
FilthyPL3B
United Kingdom
2007/07/01, 09:29 AM
Wrong thread sorry. But question still applies (to save a double post).

--------------
If in doubt K.I.S.S.
FilthyPL3B
FilthyPL3B
United Kingdom
2007/07/01, 10:18 AM
Bump
big_j_scf
big_j_scf
United States
2007/07/01, 10:57 AM
you can't add mass very efficiently without gaining a little fat. it's just one of those things that you have to be willing to do if you want to add muscle.
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2007/07/01, 12:08 PM
And it takes time. You can expect maybe 8-10 pounds real mass gain in a year. There is a thread called "how much muscle" that talks about that, if you can find it, I know fitbuddy can be vrey frustrating at times:angry: I have a hard time finding posts, myself.

Strength gains are good, and 10percent bodyfat is a good level to be at, it is tricky to stay low and gain mass, as big_j_scf says, you usually end up with a little fat.

Increasing your calroies and increasing your activity might be the trick now. That sounds like it won't work because you are evening it out, but it does help to allow you to gain and not gain fat. Lift big, in the rep range of 8-12, and rest well inbetween lifting sessions, do HIIT once or twice a week, and do a longer, endurance type session a few times a week. Eat enough calories so that you are not at a deficit - figure out how many calories you are burning a day, divide this roughly into 3 hour segments and then eat that much every 3 hours.

Try it for 6 weeks and see how it goes.

Do you measure yourself with a tape measure every few weeks? That is the best way to track mass gain, besides body composition with calipers. measure your chest, waist, hips, thighs, calves, biceps and forearms if desired, then re-measure every two weeks. taking photos every measurement day can also be helpful.

--------------

While we may not be able to control all that happens to us, we can control what happens inside us.
- Ben Franklin
FilthyPL3B
FilthyPL3B
United Kingdom
2007/07/01, 02:35 PM
I appreciate that insight asimmer; I'll weigh myself again and recalculate my TDEE, up my calories by approx 500 (above my TDEE) and incorporate the above advice for the next six weeks. After that I'll adjust accordingly depending on the results.

Yeah I measure with a tape (sounds ominous :big_smile:) more frequently than I weigh myself, yet, at more than 12 weeks apart there weren't any physical increases even though I'm lifting almost an extra 20/30kg on some lifts/pulls esp squats. Strength wise I have advanced and am pleased and also perfected much of my technique so with any luck said advice will bring on some changes in size. I'll start taking photo's again too I think.

And yeah fitbuddy does get a little frustrating from time to time :angry: haha, but I'll have a read through the suggested post now.

Cheers!

--------------
If in doubt K.I.S.S.