Group: General Fitness & Exercise

Created: 2011/12/31, Members: 379, Messages: 54577

Various general exercise related discussions. Find out what it takes to reach your fitness goals through daily effective exercise. With so many options we try to find out what works best.

Join group

Frustrated - Need Ideas

Humrz28
Humrz28
United States
2009/07/14, 04:22 PM
I just have to vent a little. I'm a 25 yr old female. 5'2'', 150 pounds. I know weight loss isn't fast, but geeze, a little faster then a snails pace would be awesome, lol. I've been busting my butt at the gym over the last few months and have yet to lose a pound, or a pant size. I can feel my body getting stronger and see my muscles getting more toned, my clothes fit a little looser and don't constantly feel bloated (at least there's baby steps, lol). But a little pound and size shedding would be amazing too! I'm starting to get to the point that I'm wondering if something may be a bit wrong with my body, I just can't think of what else could keep me stalled for so long. I figured before I schedule a doctors appt that I would come here and ask for your help. Below is an example of my workouts/diet. Maybe someone can see something I'm not. I love feeling and being stronger, but I'd also love to be 130lbs and not 150, haha.

I'm at the gym 3-4 mornings a week. I usually do 35 minutes on the elliptical or stairclimber then do roughly 30 minutes of weight training (legs one day, arms another, abs/back/misc another). This past week I have been going in a little earlier and stepping up my cardio. I've been doing 12-18 miles on the stationary bike at 14-16mph.

My diet is pretty much low carb. I keep the net intake under 30 each day. I go to the gym at 7:30am before work then make breakfast when I get to work at 10am. It's been 2 hard-boiled eggs with 1oz cheese and a few thin slices of turkey or ham (super easy to make in the microwave at work, lol). I go home around 1:30 for lunch and usually will just grab a quick snack, it varies each day. Today I had a 4oz yogurt with a small banana along with a couple slices of pepperoni. I don't get off of work until 6:30 so dinner is usually kind of late (7:30pm-8pm). It usually consists of 70% veggies and 30% meat. I have a killer sweet tooth at night so I'll have either a cup of sugar-free jello with a tablespoon of Cool-Whip, just enough to curb the craving. Water-wise, I drink A LOT of it. I have one bottle at the gym, 45-60 ounces at work, and at least 2-3 glasses of Crystal Light at night. And when it comes to alcohol I limit myself to only on the weekends. It's not every weekend though and when I do it'll be diet flavored sparkling water with clear rum.

I'm sorry if this was really long, I just wanted to try to cover as much as I could :)

Am I do anything that would really hinder me? Or is it just taking forever and a day this time around?

--------------
It's not a sport unless you can die from massive internal injuries.
Carivan
Carivan
Canada
2009/07/14, 10:56 PM
Try adding more fiber, and less fat (pepperoni?? Yogurt? are they low fat?). cut back on your eggs to about once, twice per week, replace with a high fiber cereal, add more citrus fruits, lean meats such as chicken breast and the turkey breast Eat more complex carbs. Expect to lose around 2lbs a week avg, but your body will eventually know when enough is enough.
A good sweet tooth satisfier is frozen yogurt, or biscotti's which are quite low in fat. There are also "0 fat" muffins that you can buy and make yourself. Make sure your dairy products like milk, cheese are of the low fat variety.
Hope this helps.
One more thing, the cardio shouldn't go longer than about 20-35 minutes.

--------------
Patience, persistence and perspiration make an unbeatable combination for success.

Ivan (GO HABS GO!)

Montreal Canada (City of Festivals)
returnofplex
returnofplex
United States
2009/07/15, 11:00 AM
You might not be getting enough calories there bud(around 1000 a day?). If I read it right, you are barely eating 300 calories for breakfast, and that's after a long workout session. Don't be afraid of carbs, just restrict them to around 30% of your daily calories, and try to get some with every meal.
Definitely look into the things that Ivan has suggested. It seems like your fat calories may be a little high as well.
Anyway, my advice to you is to make every meal protein centric, with carbs and fats coming in that order. I'd also suggest lifting first, and cardio second because you'll get a much more productive workout that way. Try taking in a couple hundred more calories a day and see what happens.Try adding a package of instant oatmeal to that breakfast, and subbing out the whole eggs for egg whites(you can eat twice as many egg whites as whole eggs.).
Humrz28
Humrz28
United States
2009/07/15, 06:12 PM
Thanks for the tips :) I'm doing the same "plan" I did the first go around and it's just not yeilding the same results. Then again, I was 6 years younger so I'm sure my body has changed quite a bit anyway, lol. My calories usually fall in the 1500-2000 mark, but some days I do seem to fall way short. I'll definately try incorporating your recommendations. I wanted to drop 10lbs by the end of September, but it's just not wanting to happen, lol. I'm cutting it close, but I think I can still do it :) Thanks again!