Group: Strength & Powerlifting

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 39, Messages: 16459

Discuss the topic of Power lifting, Strength training and Strong Man training!

Join group

Forearm Exercises for All

asimmer
asimmer
United States
2003/09/24, 12:04 PM
Hey here are the exercises from Bill Pearl's book Getting Stronger. I thought I would post this seperately because a lot of different posts have asked about forearm exercises.
Whenevr you have palms up you are working the inside of your forearms, palms down works the outside.

Seated two-dumbell Palms-up wrist curl. Your forearms rest on your upper legs and your hands curl down past your knees and then up all the way.

Seated 2-dumbell Palms down. You get the idea.

One arm versions of both of those, the angle changes a little.

Barbell versions of both of those, same seated position.
Squatting versions of those, instead of seated.

Same two exercises, forearms on a bench instead of legs, hands over the edge of bench (you are kneeling on one side of a flat bench)use either dumbbells or barbell.

Newspaper Hand and forearm exercise. can be done seated or standing. Hold a sheet of newspaper by one corner and gather it into palm of hand, continue gathering and squeezing paper into a tight ball.

Hand gripper - use a hand gripper to fatigue on one side, then switch hands. can be done with a tennis ball also.

Standing arns extended wrist roller wrist curl. Place light weight on end of rope on wrist curler (or any short pole would work), hold roller palms down, arms extended straight out in front of you. Roll up rope by alternating hands over and down. When the weight reaches the top, reverse the motion to lower it back down.

Standing barbell behind the back wrist curl. Pretty self explanatory.

Standing Olympic plate hand squeeze - stand, holdong plates by fingers, lower to finger tips, then raise back up. Be careful with these - if you have any elbow tendon issues you will want to start light!

Seated two arm palms down low pulley wrist curl. I think the nam says it all.

Squatting version of low-pulley curl.

One arm version of both palms up and palms down low pulley curl.

Hope this helps! Good luck!

--------------
Challenge + Consistency = Results
mallard3
mallard3
United States
2003/09/24, 02:00 PM
Sweet! Thanks!
azredhead57
azredhead57
United States
2003/09/24, 03:21 PM
Unless training for competition do your forearms get enough of a workout as secondary muscles without having to do specific forearm moves? Mine already seem good size and with little fat.

--------------
~Victoria~
...There are no shortcuts to any place worth going.--Beverly Sills
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2003/09/24, 08:14 PM
Yes, unless you want big foreamrs, you probably get enough forearm work on nack day, however, it is a good idea to throw in some forearm exercises once a week to possibly avoid some of the grip problems you could encounter later on when your weights go up. My forearms didn't keep up with my back strength and when I was going really heavy they would fill up with blood to the point that I had to stop and massage them because they hurt so bad, it limited the effectiveness of my back workout. I used straps, which helped some, but going back down in weight and doing some additional forearm work helped a lot.

--------------
Challenge + Consistency = Results
I_Am-aZon
I_Am-aZon
Canada
2003/09/26, 04:45 PM
Thanks asimmer - Im think I will use some of these :)
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2004/05/24, 12:51 PM
bump for woodie

--------------
If you fall down seven times, get up eight.
Woodie
Woodie
United States
2004/05/24, 04:23 PM
Thanks.

--------------
Woodie.