Group: Strength & Powerlifting

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 39, Messages: 16459

Discuss the topic of Power lifting, Strength training and Strong Man training!

Join group

Football

MLB39
MLB39
United States
2003/03/16, 08:16 PM
Hey I'm 14 years old and I play middle linebacker for my football team. I have been performing serious weight training since November 2002. My goal is to play first string on the JV team for my highschool next year, if i don't get to suit up for the Varsity. I am 5'10" and I wiegh 152, and I bench 200-205 (As of 1 week ago on FREE WEIGHTS). The problem is that my wieght gains have tapered off over the last few weeks. I take Cell Tech: Nitro Tech protein powder. I'm just wondering if anybody has any advice that will help me gain more weight, and enable me to achieve my goals?

Matt
rev8ball
rev8ball
United States
2003/03/16, 09:55 PM
At 14, you should have MORE than enough testosterone raging through your blood stream. My advice:

1. Lay off the supplements for now. At your age, you shouldnt need any. Get your diet in line, and I mean seriously. Eat like there is no tomorrow: a variety of proteins, carbs, and healthy fats.
2. Get with your S & C coach, and really focus on training hardcore in the compound lifts: squat, bench, deadlift, clean and jerk, military, etc. High weight, low rep scheme, with flawless form.

When you get these going, then you can start considering maybe some supplements. But dont even do that until you are pushing to the max with all of the above first!

Good luck....

--------------
Michael
"Trample the weak; hurdle the dead!"
jxlynxli
jxlynxli
United States
2003/03/17, 06:38 PM
i agree with rev, you should lay off the supplements and try to start on a clean and healthy diet, talk to your coach and get goin on a good routine fit for you...
2003/03/19, 10:23 PM
As a middle linebacker, one of your main concerns should be building a power base in your lower body, especially through the hamstrings and glutes. Squats are the essential exercise there, along with straight-leg deadlifts (be careful not to injure your back though). I also found that concentrating on explosiveness at the bottom of the squat movement allows you to do more weight and gain speed and power. As far as anything else, rev has named it....compound lifts with good form. Good luck!

--------------
OSU Law Rugby....specializing in personal injury and pain & suffering.
2003/03/19, 10:25 PM
As a middle linebacker, one of your main concerns should be building a power base in your lower body, especially through the hamstrings and glutes. Squats are the essential exercise there, along with straight-leg deadlifts (be careful not to injure your back though). I also found that concentrating on explosiveness at the bottom of the squat movement allows you to do more weight and gain speed and power. As far as anything else, rev has named it....compound lifts with good form. Good luck!

--------------
OSU Law Rugby....specializing in personal injury and pain & suffering.
DAGj357
DAGj357
United States
2003/03/23, 11:59 PM
yoo cuzz im 16 iplay mlb kidd i jus came on this site 4 werkin out cus i dt do much i max out around 250 im startinvarsity mlb nex year asa junior i rely on mostly me legs n my talent i jus started werki out im telli u i started takin cell tech nitro tech 2 man its all water weight u'll piss it out im tellin u u dt need it it'll jus make u fattr n slower do alotadeadlifts alota cleans alotta squats allota benchin n eat like a horse
GOWAR
GOWAR
United States
2003/03/31, 01:52 PM
i agree with these guys you shouldnt be taking supplements at that young age, just weightlift and run hard and you'll be great , dont eat like a horse because if you dont burn all those calories off you ll get fat, so just eat a balanced healthy diet, try eating fish and chicken for an alternative protien source to beef because of beef's high sfat and cholesterol content, eat lots of vegetables and fruits, and not to many carbohydrates and drink atleas 10 glasses of water a day. GOOD LUCK!
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2003/03/31, 07:53 PM
Bill Pearl, legendary vegetarian bodybuilder, has a strength training book out with a good deal on training for football. You may think about reading it. Has great routines and everything in there.

--------------
The one goal you will NEVER achieve is the one you never attempt.
CJFit
CJFit
United States
2003/04/01, 10:12 PM
If weight gain is your goal concentrate on increasing your calories and work on strength training. In addition and more importantly work on functional type exercises related to what your actual activity will be for your position. Work on various squat stances such as a staggered stance, since this stance simulates the foot positioning in football, and also work on smome one legged squats. If you have a stability ball do some wall slides to the side since that simulates many positions in football. Once you build a good strength base go into a power phase and work on your explosiveness.
mackfactor
mackfactor
United States
2003/04/08, 02:23 PM
www.renegadetraining.com

Coach Davies is second to none in sport training, particularly football. Many of these techniques are fairly advanced and you're not quite up to that level in terms of lifting or physical maturity (body age). There's still some good info there. Your bench presses are pretty much irrelevant at your position. You want to work on your explosive power in your legs and your agility.

--------------
"Don't follow leaders and watch your parking meters!"
-- Bob Dylan