Group: Experienced Exercise

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 50, Messages: 19484

For intermediate and advanced individuals. Share and learn how to take your fitness to the next level!

Join group

Fitness Plan - Thoughts?

dac879
dac879
United States
2009/07/10, 10:59 AM
I am 5'11, 155 lbs. Looking to add muscle/weight. Here is what I have done for about 3 months. I am more cut up, but have experienced minimal weight gains.

Monday
Preacher Curls - 4 sets
Leg Presses - 3 sets
Leg extensions - 3 sets
Leg curls - 3 sets
Calf raises - 3 sets
Lat pulldown - 4 sets
seated rows - 3 sets
Back ext - 3 sets
Abs

Tuesday
Bench - 4 sets
Incline Bench Press - 3 sets
Flyes -3 sets
Shoulder lateral raises - 3 sets
Military Press - 3 sets
Tricep extensions - 3 sets
Abs

Wednesday
Interval training
Abs

Thursday - repeat Monday
Friday - repeat Tuesday
Saturday - cardio --- either interval or distance
Sunday - rest

I used to do cardio daily, but wondered if that was hurting my muscle/weight gains.

I work out first thing in the morning. Very recently I have changed my diet to include:

Get up - PB sandwich and banana
Workout
Protein Shake 52 grams of protein; banana
PB sandwich
Lunch --- try to do something like footlong subway sandwich
PB sandwhich
Dinner --- varies
Some healthy snack + protein shake 52 grams protein

My guess is before this change, I didn't eat enough to build muscle mass.

Any thoughts or ideas would be appreciated. Thanks.
returnofplex
returnofplex
United States
2009/07/10, 12:24 PM
You still may not be eating enough. That seems like a lot of sets for a full body split done twice a week. You may be over training. Also are those lifts in the order you do them?
I don't believe in the "one size fits all" lifting routine, so here's what I did which gave me pretty good results. I was taking in about 4000 calories a day, and when all was said and done after cutting, gained about 7-8 pounds of muscle over the course of two months(I was also reasonably muscular at the time, and the "magic window" of being a newbie had long passed me by). Also I was lifting heavy, with each set coming in at 6-8 reps.

Monday:Chest, back, biceps
Bench press (3) sets
Incline dumbbell press (3)
Deadlifts (3)
Lat pull doawn (3)
barbell curl (2-3)
Hammer curl (2-3)

Tuesday: Legs,shoulders,triceps
Squats (3)
quad extensions (3)
Military press (3)
upright rows (3)
close grip bench (2-3)
rope pulldowns (2-3)

Wednesday: abs, traps, calfs
(movements vary, nothing set in stone)

Thursday: Chest,back,biceps
flat bench
decline db press
deadlift
dumbbell rows
dumbbell curls
preacher curls

Friday: Legs,shoulders,triceps
Squats(or leg press)
hamstring curls
dumbbell press
lateral dumbbell raises
cable press downs
skull crushers

Saturday and Sunday are rest days.

You may consider cutting the cardio out while bulking up. It burns precious calories that could otherwise go to building muscle mass. Reintroduce cardio during your cutting phase.
dac879
dac879
United States
2009/07/10, 02:18 PM
I wondered about the # of sets - I very recently read 12 is a good number for the number of sets you work a body part. I may look into removing or alternating the exercieses.

In response to your question - yes that is the order I do the lifts now. I am consistently adding weight and tend to be in the 6-8 reps range as well. I have seen really solid gains in the weight I can lift - just not the weight gain - very frustrating.

When do you start a cutting phase? Is that something you rotate - lift for gains in weight/mass for a couple months, then cut, then lift hard again?

Thanks for your thoughts.
returnofplex
returnofplex
United States
2009/07/10, 05:38 PM
I wonder about the order you are lifting in. I usually go for the bigger muscle groups first(compound movements), then finish with the smaller groups, as they are usually involved in the compound movements anyway. For example, you may be exhausting your biceps before doing the lat pulldowns(works back and bi's), which may make the lat pull-downs less effective.
12 sets per muscle group is fine, but that's usually when you work that group once per week. Doing that twice a week could easily lead to over training.
There isn't a set time for a cut phase. You usually start one once you feel like you've gained enough muscle mass.
Carivan
Carivan
Canada
2009/07/20, 06:33 PM
Returnof plex is right on.
Also remember that when you do 12 reps per set the first set is a warm up. The next three are your working reps.

--------------
Patience, persistence and perspiration make an unbeatable combination for success.

Ivan (GO HABS GO!)

Montreal Canada (City of Festivals)