Group: Health Supplements

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 101, Messages: 16611

Supplements can be a great aid with your health and fitness goals. Combined with the proper exercise and nutritional plan they can be quite effective.

Join group

Fish Oil / Flax Q's

2008/10/24, 03:10 PM
I don't post often, but FT has been a great help and motivator for me for years! (I've just created a new user name however...)

I just started taking both fish oil soft tabs and throwing some ground flax in my oatmeal. I read a previous post by Menace referencing some of the health benefits of this.

I was just wondering if anyone particularly physically noticed these benefits - or is it simply a proactive and preventative thing. I am concentrating more on how it affects workouts and physical results as opposed to the other bene's (stress, blood pressure, vision, etc..).

Just asking because I've heard so many people worship the validity of this stuff. This has got to be in the boards somewhere, so even pointing me in the right direction would help.

Thanks.

-Ryan
jbennett
jbennett
United States
2008/10/25, 06:51 AM
I take an omega complex every day. The only physical thing I've noticed is an improvement in my joints. I have had problems in the past, but since I began taking EFAs (essential fatty acids) I've noticed my joints aren't as stiff and I have less issues with them during heavy lifts. EFAs also help the heart, immune system, efficient hormone production, and have a ridiculous amount of other functions in your body. That's the stuff you can't 'feel' per se, but they do help. Keep taking it.

--------------
--JBennett
"I've up-ed my intensity.... now up yours!"
"Pain is only weakness leaving the body."
"Never think of how weak you are; think of how strong you're going to be."
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2008/10/27, 08:39 AM
DHA can be especially beneficial for brain function, and this may be noticed very early on.

Other benefits are from EFA that may be noticed, this is joint issues. But normally these benefits occur from chronic use rather than acute.

I personally have been taking fish oil for 5 yrs. at least, I take 5-7 gr. per day.

Omega 3's have numerous health benefits, research has shown everything from less heart attacks to lowering blood pressure.

If I could recommend but one supplememt, this would indeed be my first. However, quality is an issue.

--------------
Baseball is the only field of endeavor where a man can succeed three times out of ten and be considered a good performer

2008/10/28, 04:37 PM
Thanks guys. Extremely informative.

I take an "acute" amount now (I think they are 1000mg softtabs) along with a multi. Reading your 5-7gr. daily dose, maybe I should up it.

Cheers.
DcMoody23
DcMoody23
United States
2008/11/05, 09:35 PM
bb1fit, what do you mean by quality is an issue.. Is there certain brands that are better than others, or am i missing something here?
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2008/11/05, 11:03 PM
Of course.

And to ryan....acute doseage is a couple of high amounts and then not much more. Chronic use however is prolonged use, that is over long periods of time. Consistently day after day.

============
Quoting from dcmoody23:

bb1fit, what do you mean by quality is an issue.. Is there certain brands that are better than others, or am i missing something here?
=============

--------------
Baseball is the only field of endeavor where a man can succeed three times out of ten and be considered a good performer

2008/11/10, 11:36 PM
Good stuff, thanks for clearing up my understanding of acute and chronic dosages. To conclude it seems that I'm more likely to notice more gradual, long-term results - as opposed to drinking a cup of coffee and seeing its caffeine effects.

Positive effects include, but are not limited by:

Increasing brain function
Lowering blood pressure
Relieving joint problems
More efficient hormone production
etc...

SFGiantsMVP
SFGiantsMVP
United States
2008/11/11, 02:02 AM

============
Quoting from ryan.f.shields:

Good stuff, thanks for clearing up my understanding of acute and chronic dosages. To conclude it seems that I'm more likely to notice more gradual, long-term results - as opposed to drinking a cup of coffee and seeing its caffeine effects.

Positive effects include, but are not limited by:

Increasing brain function
Lowering blood pressure
Relieving joint problems
More efficient hormone production
etc...

=============
Here it is years later and I still await Increasing brain function :big_smile:

--------------
Knock-Um Down & Keep-Um Down!
2008/12/14, 07:18 PM
So I've heard through reading the boards here, members taking upwards of 15g a day? Is this the norm? I guess you would go through a 120 softgel bottle in roughly 2 weeks?

I take 2, and sometimes 3g, is this a waste of potential benes?
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2008/12/16, 08:34 AM
I think 15g. may be excessive. I personally use 5-7 gr. per day.

--------------

cburkett33
cburkett33
United States
2009/10/25, 11:02 AM
My question is, is it necessary to take an Omega 3 and Flax? Or does just taking one of them alone enough?
DennyV
DennyV
United States
2011/06/26, 08:03 PM
bb1fit,

Last line of this quote, you said quality is an issue. Do you mean some brands are far more superior or better than others? If so, which brands do you recommend? So I and others may actually get our moneys worth instead of spending on cheap brands and thinking it will help us.

Thanks,
-Denny

============
Quoting from bb1fit:

DHA can be especially beneficial for brain function, and this may be noticed very early on.

Other benefits are from EFA that may be noticed, this is joint issues. But normally these benefits occur from chronic use rather than acute.

I personally have been taking fish oil for 5 yrs. at least, I take 5-7 gr. per day.

Omega 3's have numerous health benefits, research has shown everything from less heart attacks to lowering blood pressure.

If I could recommend but one supplememt, this would indeed be my first. However, quality is an issue.

=============