Group: Experienced Exercise

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 50, Messages: 19484

For intermediate and advanced individuals. Share and learn how to take your fitness to the next level!

Join group

Finally- results but I'm still confused-

SeanMS
SeanMS
United States
2002/05/28, 01:08 AM
Finally, some noticeable results! I only measure my right arm and waiste occasionally. I like to keep up with my waiste to make sure I'm not getting thick around the middle again and I measure my right arm because it's easy to check (I'm left handed). I've gained an inch on that arm in the last month or so. I'm half way there on my short term goal - 17" arms. I've got a question or two if anyone would mind answering for me. I started back working-out in Jan. of this year after missing about 3 years. In Jan. my arms were 15" and they stayed there untill about a month ago. For the last month they've grown about a quarter of an inch a weak. I figured out that I wasn't getting enough protein so I started taking protein shakes about a month ago. Surely the extra protein didn't make that much of a difference?? This ft. program that I'm doing is really kicking my butt. Every day something somewhere is sore- bad sore except my arms. My arms never get sore. Sore means muscle growth right, "No pain no gain" at least that's what I've always heard. I'm not complaining at all, they just don't get sore. Since my arms aren't getting sore I figured they weren't growing. So you can imagine my surprise when I measured. I work my arms hard, I can't figure out why they aren't getting sore. I switch up my Bi's/Tri's every week and I've tried super-sets and everything I can think of and they still don't get sore. My ft. program calls for me to work Bi's/Tri's on the same day and it only gives me 2 exercises for each so I always add 2 more for each muscle group (always carefull not to pick the same workout 2 weaks in a row). What do yall think brought on this growth spurt? Lastly, my last set on barbell flat bench is 4 reps 215# and my last set on close grip bench is 4 reps 185#. Is it normal for those 2 exercises to be so close in weight or is my flat bench a week spot that I need to work on? Thanks for all the help. The horseshoe is comming along real nice and no doubt a lot of it's from the help of this site. Thanks in advance for any feedback I might get.
Philia2
Philia2
France
2002/05/28, 01:16 AM
Breath Sean, breath! (-;

Yes it's rather funny that you'll get sore pecs or back but not sore arms BUT in the same time with the gains that you are having I wouldn't worry about it too much.
The "no pain, no gain" is not always appropriate and often it's even dangerous 'cause people tend to go too far and injure themselves.
One thing you could do thou is try to work your arms more in the negative part of the movement; ex when you are lowering your arm in curls.
Best of luck to you!

--------------
- Nina :o) La vie est toujours aussi belle.....
rpacheco
rpacheco
United States
2002/05/28, 10:39 AM
Wow! That's awesome! Nina is right about not necessarily getting sore. Obviously, you are stimulating enough muscle fibers to spur growth. As far as your bench question, the disparity in the weights shouldn't matter. I believe my maxes are close here as well. You can raise the poundage on your bench if you incorporate some powerlifting training to your current ft program.

Keep up the great work! You'll be posting some new pics of your new 17" guns, right?

--------------
**_Robert_**
Pain is temporary; glory is forever!
SeanMS
SeanMS
United States
2002/05/28, 10:58 PM
Robert- when I finally get there I'll post some new picks, that's to say IF I get there :-). I am focusing on the negative part of the movements especially on the hammer curls and consentration curls. One of the trainers at the gym thinks that since I've been there before (17" arms) and lost it that I'll gain it back quick. He says that it's easier to gain it back than to gain it when you never had it in the first place. I kinda thought that since my body fat % is lower this time and I'm stronger this time then maybe that's why their smaller. Maybe they were 17" back then because there was some fat on them. Oh well, don't know. But I do know I'm half way there. Thanks for the replies.
muscles-AU
muscles-AU
Australia
2002/05/29, 06:47 AM
Sean your going great,to make your arms sore have you tried to triset ex.for tri's extentions above chest/close grip bench press/scull crushers after you've done dips to failure 3x.This gives your tri's a nice burn.

I find trisets excellent for complete exhaustion

--------------
No pain No gain!So keep lifting to failure!
SeanMS
SeanMS
United States
2002/05/29, 09:04 PM
I'll give yall an idea of what I'm doing for my arms when I work them. Last Fri. I started on my Bi's first with cheat curls (2 sets wide grip and 2 close grip), then 3 sets hammer curls, then 3 sets cable curls with a rope handle and then 3 sets of consentration curls. Then for the Tri's I hit the close grip bench with 4 sets, cable pushdowns- 4 sets, skull crushers with dumbells- 4 sets, 4 sets of reverse curls and then 3 sets of dips (going untill failure). I feel like I'm doing way too many sets with the Tri's (19 total) but when I finish my workout my arms have a serious pump and their not getting sore so I must not be overworking them. When I do 21's or supersets or negatives it seems like I don't get near as good results as when I do a workout like the above. When I leave the gym I can't hardly lift my arms above my head for a while, their completely spent. That's why I can't figure out why I don't get sore.
mikencharleston
mikencharleston
United States
2002/05/29, 09:31 PM
Sean - I wouldn't worry about it as it sounds like you're making the kind of gains you want. If you really want to burn your arms out - do you're normal set - finish up with some rest pause type moves then run the rack with dumb bell curls. Start out with tens X10, (these are no rest) and jump by 10's till you can't get more than 4 or 5 reps. Start down and do everything to failure. If that don't get your bi's sore you don't need anything else as your other workouts are doing fine. :)
SeanMS
SeanMS
United States
2002/06/01, 04:01 AM
Well! Somehow I gained another 1/4" since last week :-) I sure hope this isn't just a growth spurt that's going to stop in a week or so. I did some supersets today just out of curiosity. I know it's too soon to tell if I'll get sore or not but so far I'm not tight or weak like on days like leg days (when I do legs their weak and wobbly for a day or 2). If I don't get sore after today then I guess I won't get sore, when I left the gym I could barely girp my water bottle much less drive home. I mean I put 110% into it.