Group: Health Supplements

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 102, Messages: 16613

Supplements can be a great aid with your health and fitness goals. Combined with the proper exercise and nutritional plan they can be quite effective.

Join group

Fenugreek post workout

wrestler125
wrestler125
United States
2006/01/31, 12:16 AM
============
Quoting from bb1fit:

I like Natures Way. Good fenugreek will have a maply syrup smell and "taste" to it.

=============

10-4 and thanks big guy.

--------------
Iron and chalk.

Pain is only temporary, it is in your mind. If you can still walk, then you can still run.
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2006/01/27, 09:28 PM
Have used this alot pwo myself, thought I would post a couple things relating.....seems pretty solid...maybe better than Chromium in this aspect...

The addition of fenugreek extract (Trigonella foenum-graecum) to glucose feeding increases muscle glycogen resynthesis after exercise.

Ruby BC, Gaskill SE, Slivka D, Harger SG.

Department of Health and Human Performance, The University of Montana, Missoula, Montana 59812-1825, USA. brent.ruby@mso.umt.edu

The purpose of this study was to determine the effects of ingesting an oral supplement containing 4-Hydroxyisoleucine (4-OH-Ile, isolated from fenugreek seeds ) with a glucose beverage on rates of post-exercise muscle glycogen resynthesis in trained male cyclists. Following an overnight fast (12 hr), subjects completed a 90-minute glycogen depletion ride after which a muscle biopsy was obtained from the vastus lateralis. Immediately and 2 hours after the muscle biopsy, subjects ingested either an oral dose of dextrose (Glu) (1.8 g.kg BW(-1)) or 4-OH-Ile supplement (Glu+4-OH-Ile, including 2.0 mg.kg(-1) 4-OH-Ile with the same oral dose of dextrose) with a second muscle biopsy 4 hours after exercise. Post exercise muscle glycogen concentration was similar for both trials. Overall, there was a significant increase in glucose and insulin concentrations from time 0 throughout the majority of the 4-hour recovery period, with no significant differences between the two trials at any time point. Although muscle glycogen concentration significantly increased from immediately post exercise to 4 hr of recovery for both trials, the net rate of muscle glycogen resynthesis was 63% greater during Glu+4-OH-Ile (10.6+/-3.3 vs. 6.5+/-2.6 g.kg wet wt.(-1).hr.(-1) for the Glu+4-OH-Ile and Glu trials, respectively). These data demonstrate that when the fenugreek extract supplement (4-OH-Ile) is added to a high oral dose of dextrose, rates of post-exercise glycogen resynthesis are enhanced above dextrose alone.

PMID: 15719265

--------------
Strength and Honor!
wrestler125
wrestler125
United States
2006/01/28, 08:23 PM
Theres also a lot of research involving fenugreek and insulin sensitivity. Pubmed archives are crawling with abstracts, its become a popular thing (though I remember Ron toting this stuff almost a year ago if I remember right).

Any recommendations for brand/supplementation?

--------------
~Steve

Pain is only temporary, it is in your mind. If you can still walk, then you can still run.
2fingers
2fingers
United States
2006/01/29, 05:38 PM
I started taking Fenugreek about two weeks ago. I have seen an increase in appetite. I had been struggling to get the amount of calories I need to gain. I hit 180 lbs. body weight this week. I believe it is partly due to my ability to eat more than I had. I am otherwise still doing the basics so nothing else has changed to account for this.
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2006/01/29, 05:42 PM
There is some evidence that fenugreek is good for raising appetite. The Germans have in fact approved it for anorexia.

I like Natures Way. Good fenugreek will have a maply syrup smell and "taste" to it.

--------------
Strength and Honor!
Mojo_67
Mojo_67
United States
2006/01/29, 10:21 PM
Big sigh :(
You guys talking about raising appetite is depressing me. The meds I'm taking have my appetite skyrocketing. I am facing an all-time high with my weight all of a sudden. I'm confident I can get it under control and keep it there but don't know if I can get the BF% back where I want it, it'll be a tall order. Might have to just go for mass for awhile. Where I wouldn't mind giving it a try. I just don't know if I can introduce something else now that's going boost my appetite.
Anyway, just blabbering...carry on.

--------------
Seize the day!
2fingers
2fingers
United States
2006/01/30, 12:20 PM
One other thing that has changed is my fiber intake. I have increased my fiber lately in an effort to increase the good carbs in my diet. With everything "flowing" better this may have affected my appetite in positive way. Does this make sense?