Group: Experienced Exercise

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 50, Messages: 19484

For intermediate and advanced individuals. Share and learn how to take your fitness to the next level!

Join group

Fat into glucose

danft
danft
Canada
2007/04/11, 07:26 PM
1) I was reading the post on when to do your cardio and I have a question that was not answered. I read that you should not do your cardio on an empty stomach as your body has no choice but to turn the proteins in your muscles into glucose for energy. Why will your body not burn the fat cells instead? Correct me if I'm wrong but is the reason why you should not do your cardio right after your workout the same reasoning as why you should not do your cardio on an empty stomach?

2) Is it a good idea to mix fat with your PWO shake? I thought BB1fit said that it was
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2007/04/11, 09:53 PM
Don't get too hung up on 'what you burn' during an exercise bout of any type. It is far greater to worry about what you do between your exercise bouts that make the difference.

The main real time the empty stomach thing comes into play is if you are pretty lean already. You really have very little 'say' no matter what as to what substrate your body uses for fuel.

Now, that being said, if you do just steady state type cardio at a low level, then probably no matter. However, if you do for instance a HIIT session, an intense HIIT session can rival a weight workout. Your body has to 'recruit' fuels at a very quick rate for this or any explosive type work. Fat generally cannot be mobilzed that quickly.

Work for your needs. Again, using a 'virtual hammer', I wish I could pound this into folk's heads. What you do between a workout of any type determines what you get out of it. Just as you don't gain muscle during a weight workout, so it is you burn very little fat during a cardio workout.

--------------
"If it ain't broke, you aren't trying."