Group: New Members Greet & Meet - Introduce yourself

Created: 2011/12/31, Members: 1537, Messages: 27037

Officially introduce yourself to the community by sharing your goals, obstacles or accomplishments. Don't be shy.. we're all here for the same reason. The more support we share the easier it will be to reach our goals!

Join group

Experiencing nervousness

engprof
engprof
United States
2002/03/27, 09:32 AM
First off, I am grateful to have found this site. What a great tool for those of us who don't have access to or funds for a gym or trainer.
I'm a 42 year old man who is the epitome of the 90 pound weakling. As I will start to enter my twilight years soon, I am determined not to be one of those old men who is so frail that I get blown over every time someone in the room sneezes. So I have decided to change that. It would also be nice, as Diesel 69 mentioned, to be able to take my shirt off in public without being embarrassed. It would be nice to be able to look in the mirror without being embarrassed!
I don't really have a question. I'm just really nervous about making all these changes to my diet and starting to exercise. I know what a big commitment it is going to be, and I wonder if I have the willpower to see it through. Today marks Day One...wish me luck.
rpacheco
rpacheco
United States
2002/03/27, 10:18 AM
Welcome to ft! There's nothing to be nervous about...you're really about to change your lifestyle, for the better! Most beginners usually have enthusiasm in the beginning. Don't mistake your excitement for nervousness.

Also, at 42, you've still got plenty of years left to make a change. We've got a lot of members over 40...some have discovered the new path as you have.

Hang in there...we're here to help!

--------------
**_Robert_**
mikencharleston
mikencharleston
United States
2002/03/27, 12:48 PM
engprof - welcome and don't be nervous. There's not only many here in their 40's, there's quite a few of us in their 50's. Amazing amount of knowledge in here and these guys are awesome with their responses and the amount of their own time spent here explaining things.
Philia2
Philia2
France
2002/03/28, 02:22 AM
We are with you engprof and we'll stay in here to help you the best we can.
Be proud of yourself for the changings and don't be afraid about it. You'll learn to love your new life style.

--------------
- Nina :o) La vie est toujours aussi belle.....
ltroisi
ltroisi
United States
2002/03/28, 06:53 AM
You will be so glad you did! Take it a day at a time, change things slowly if you need to. Good luck and feel free to ask us for help and motivation.
Hey I'm 41, you can get better with age!!!

--------------
There is no substitute for hard work.........Leslie
engprof
engprof
United States
2002/03/28, 11:30 AM
Thanks for all the encouragement, everyone. It helps to know people are rooting for me to succeed. Day One went great (except for the pizza for dinner). Not as sore today as I thought I would be...the tips provided in my workout plan really helped.
And my nervousness has turned into enthusiasm with the realization that I can do this!
Thanks again.
JimH
JimH
United States
2002/04/10, 06:39 PM
engprof,i just joined ft, i'm 49. talk about nervous, i was in that state, sort of ,(didn't know what to expect) when what started out to be an angiogram turned into angelopasty, with two stents inserted into an artery, no major one's thank god. have family history of heart desiese, that i have to get on the ball, and get the weight off, and get healty. Your never too old to start getting in shape, no matter what kind of shape you start in. now why didn't i take my own advice, and do this earlier?????

--------------
JimH
Boddhisattvha
Boddhisattvha
United States
2002/04/10, 07:10 PM
I can't say anything but have faith and good luck Prof. :)

--------------
And my soul must be iron, because my fear is naked. I'm naked and fearless.