Group: All Else Lounge

Created: 2011/12/31, Members: 42, Messages: 22740

This is the place you can discuss anything else that is on your mind that isn't already covered by other groups. Share what's on your mind and see who else has something to say about it!

Join group

Exercising with injury

Artist27
Artist27
United States
2009/09/24, 12:37 AM
Hello everyone. I'm 27 years old with three children and a husband. I started a strict diet and exercise plan about 6 months ago. I was 280 pounds when I started, now I am 185. I am proud of what I have achieved. The only problem is that I was injured before I started my plan. I had gotten in two car accidents which gave me whiplash both times, and injured my knees (I have bursitis in them) in both, as well. It seems that my exercising has not only helped me lose weight, but may have injured me more in the process. My knees, neck and back are really hurting me lately (even if I just stand and do dishes). I slowed down on the exercising to see if it would help, but it isn't. I havn't been eating any differently than what I was before, and I'm not gaining weight. I am losing extremely slowly, though. Is there any low impact exercise that I can do that will help my body get on track of losing weight? Should I lower my calories since I'm not exercising as much? I'm getting frustrated because these injuries are making it hard to even play with my kids. Maybe weight loss will help take away some of that pain? Thank you for reading, and if you can, please help.

Kassandra
yadmit
yadmit
Canada
2009/09/24, 09:02 AM
First, congrats on the weight loss! Amazing!

Second, keep eating well... not sure what the calories are now, but keep eating healthy.

And last, I would check with a doctor on your knees, neck and back.

Welcome to FT.

t

--------------
I see the words you are typing, but all I read is *click*click*click*

Fat loss isn?t under the control of the magic fat loss fairies. - Alwyn Cosgrove
returnofplex
returnofplex
United States
2009/09/24, 11:02 AM
WOW! You have done really terrific with the weight loss! It doesn't surprise me that the weight loss has slowed way down. It's a combination of several things actually. The first is the reduced activity level(not that you can help that with the injuries and all). The second (I'm guessing on this one) is that your calorie intake is probably getting close to your maintainence level. The third is that once you start getting into a lower body fat percentage, the weight is slower to come off. I've found that at least for me(a former big guy) the weight was very slow to come off once I got into the lower average b/f for men, even if I created a reasonable caloric deficit every day.
-Swimming might be a good way for you to burn calories without too much joint stress if you have access to that sort of thing.
FitAndrea
FitAndrea
United States
2009/11/07, 01:02 PM
Artist27, Congratulations on that weight loss! That's awesome! I understand how frustrating injuries can be and how that can affect your weight loss. This post was a few months ago, have you found anything to help?
I agree with 'returnofplex' on swimming as that is always a great no-impact training method. If you don't have access to a pool, have you tried things like yoga or stretching exercises? This can help alleviate some stress and pain.

I hope you've found a great solution already and are back on track. If not, please send me a message and I'll help you out. I know of an at-home program that is designed to help with chronic pain and/or arthritis.