Group: General Diet & Nutrition

Created: 2011/12/31, Members: 399, Messages: 16719

With such a topic so broad we truly try to cover the basics from all angles in this group. Nothing too big or too small. Nutrition is as significant if not more as exercise is to reaching your goals so learn all you can.

Join group

ethics question...

bigandrew
bigandrew
United States
2006/01/03, 06:51 PM
Ok one of my "rules" I have I don't give out advice at gym....except when asked.....or I see somone in serious SERIOUS jeopredy of hurting themselves.

Well this is one of those times...however i didn't say anything cause the "trainer" had him doing this excercise.

He ( trainer) warmed the cliet up on a smith machine...doing some bencing and incline press....then he took him to the free weight area...to the bb bench.

Now he had this guy benching...but touching his chest at almost his neck. From what I can tell he had him flat benching....and touching the area you would normally would touch for incline press.. This made my rot cuff and shoulder hurt just thinking about it.

This guy if he ever benches like this with no spotter...he might land the bar on his neck!

any ideas? Cause this trainer has benching "teaching" several people to bench like that

--------------
Friends don't let friends squat high...

People don't reach thier true potental, only those who seek it.
fighting_london
fighting_london
United States
2006/01/03, 06:57 PM
Show him a better way when the trainer isn't around.
Nyxtikal
Nyxtikal
United States
2006/01/03, 10:10 PM
i would ask the trainer his reasoning behind lowering the bar to there and explain to him why it is such a bad idea for ppl to be pressing like that
wrestler125
wrestler125
United States
2006/01/04, 12:02 AM
I would drop a plate on the trainers toe. Make it look like an accident. Guys like that need to get hurt to learn.

Slap him and ask how much he benches. Odds are, it won't be much.

--------------
Pain is only temporary, it is in your mind. If you can still walk, then you can still run.

============
Quoting from 7707mutt:
The squat cage is holy ground.
============
7707mutt
7707mutt
United States
2006/01/04, 09:00 AM
Or accidently throw a loaded bar at his head and then say "OOPS, My Bad"
:big_smile:

--------------
Less Talk, More Chalk!
The Men and Boys are Separated by one thing: The Squat Cage!

7707mutt@freetrainers.com
Carivan
Carivan
Canada
2006/01/04, 09:04 PM
You may want to ask where he learned the tecnique and what certification he has? I'll bet you he is only certified at that gym! Then drop a plate on his toe!

--------------
Scales are for dead weight: We are not dead yet!
Still trying to find out how to do the Hollywood Free Press.

Ivan

Montreal Canada
wrestler125
wrestler125
United States
2006/01/05, 01:30 AM
I'm glad you guys agree.
I would say a good alternative to the loaded bar would be asking for a spot while snatching. Then, using poor form.
I know what happens when my form isn't on in the snatch.

--------------
Pain is only temporary, it is in your mind. If you can still walk, then you can still run.

============
Quoting from 7707mutt:
============
bigandrew
bigandrew
United States
2006/01/05, 06:00 PM
I was trying to think of why he would have him bench this way?.....and i can't think of a legidment reason? can any of you?

My shoulder and wrists cringe thinking of this...

--------------

wrestler125
wrestler125
United States
2006/01/05, 10:59 PM
The only possible thing it could do would be to increase the degree of internal rotation. Which most people get too much of already. Other than that, it is EXTREME impingement on the shoulder.

--------------

============
Quoting from 7707mutt:
============
wrestler125
wrestler125
United States
2006/01/05, 11:08 PM
Ok, here's the deal. I worked in a gym as a trainer for a while, and there was this one guy, ALWAYS had his clients on a bosu ball. Doing the weirdest stuff you can imagine. He called it "unconventional". I called it bs.
Anyways, I in this same gym working out (violating a rule I set to not workout in the gym I train at), and my spotter told explained it to me like this...

This guy does the weirdest shit he can think of. NO ONE asks questions when they are in the care of a "certified trainer" (the first thing I told my clients was to ask questions). So all of his clients, seem to think they are doing something "cutting edge". I would always here him using words like that, and unconventional, the latest trend, etc.
People want that magic workout, thats super effective and will help them achieve immediate results. Now naturally, how could they do this with a good old "squat and bench program"? They need something cutting edge and unconventional.
This guys clients NEVER saw results, except for one woman that must have had genetics of gold.

Like I said, this guy deserves a plate dropped on his toe.

--------------

============
Quoting from 7707mutt:
============
bigandrew
bigandrew
United States
2006/01/06, 12:58 PM
well I was thinking there is a "variation" of bench called a california press....but for the guy to be in gym for 3 weeks and have him try this is insane...

--------------

2006/01/06, 02:10 PM
ouch...and i am the guy who touches the bar to the chest on floor presses...LOL....

wanna slap people like him...been around plenty of trainers like him...
2006/01/06, 02:16 PM
might wanna come up to him and ask him to explain logic behind this variation.....chances are he'll something stupid...
jlm87
jlm87
Australia
2013/09/03, 09:07 AM
I would ask the trainer what benefits he get from teaching this method. Then just say you have never seen it done this way and explain your reasons behind it. He is obviously not qualified or something and thinks he knows what he us doing. I'm sure you will put him in his place. And he might think twice about what he is doing. :)
jlm87
jlm87
Australia
2013/09/03, 09:08 AM
I would ask the trainer what benefits he get from teaching this method. Then just say you have never seen it done this way and explain your reasons behind it. He is obviously not qualified or something and thinks he knows what he us doing. I'm sure you will put him in his place. And he might think twice about what he is doing. :)